Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2015, 5:05 pm

Chummy wrote:
half of the threads in these forums are pointless...

It's either

1) Post a pic or share some fact about yourself so people can rate you or tell you whether you're good on not depending on their mood. If they feel bad, they'd want you to feel even worse so they could feed off your crappy feeling. If they are on a good day, or just feel like not bullies or just good people in general they can boost your confidence.

or

2) Describe something that happened to you. ask for advice. Now go tell a person you don't know,never met, and most importantly you wasn't there when the whole thing/situation happend and actually advise him. Because you know it can do more harm than good.

I don't post much. But I read alot. And as a keen observer, I noticed those things on the forums. By the way, have you guys noticed pretty much all of the threads recycle themselves once in every few years in some shape or form? lol just my 2 cents.

The second (seeking/giving advice) is pretty much the whole point of WP .

The first only resembles one thread ("post ten facts about yourself") that Ive ever seen here.

But I do thank you for informing us all that...you are a "keen" observer.

Some folks would allow others to judge the "keenness" of their observations. But since you're such a keen observer we will take your word for it (that you're a keen observer)! :lol:

On the flipside: you didnt even mention "Lets count to a billion by three". Talk about pointless!

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2015, 5:21 pm

How very pseudo philosophical and post-wrongplanetish. Darn hipsters

NowhereWoman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Oct 2015, 12:27 am

How are those two categories pointless? They're part of the human experience and they're ongoing. There is neither more or less of a point to that than there is to talking about anything else.

We're not on this forum to cure cancer or garner world peace. We're her because of ASD, so anything that relates to that has a "point" given the board we (and you, BTW) are on.

There's no actual point to ANYTHING we do, actually, if you want to get right down to it. If the entire human race simultaneously threw up its hands and dropped dead electively, the earth certainly wouldn't care. I didn't realize a "point" was required in any human interaction. Our only "points" tend to be personal to us. Interaction is pretty much its own point, and the only point, to any forum/message board.

But if you, OP, have your own amazing point and reason for being here that transcends the general population, do let us know. I am quite sure we'd be all ears.

NowhereWoman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Oct 2015, 12:35 am

sonicallysensitive wrote:
Life is essentially repetitive.

Did you eat today? Yes? But - you did that yesterday.

There are people here on WP who weren't here years ago. Certain insights/opinions may seem redundant to you, but they could be new to a new site user.

Yup.

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2015, 11:19 am

NowhereWoman wrote:

There are people here on WP who weren't here years ago. Certain insights/opinions may seem redundant to you, but they could be new to a new site user.

Yup.

Yes, I have to agree. Life is repetitive, job tasks are repetitive. I am not complaining. We're actually on the same mindset here. Threads here recycle themselves and for me as a veteran user (lookit my rank) it's not new and exciting as if I was a fresh user. That's the point itself.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2015, 4:17 am

I'm on a lot of forums, and they're all pretty much like this one when it comes to the OP's complaint.

What sets WP apart are the gigantic replies so many here give. Reading through 10 threads is like reading War and Peace.

blah blah blah....

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2015, 1:53 pm

Chummy wrote:
NowhereWoman wrote:

Yup.

Yes, I have to agree. Life is repetitive, job tasks are repetitive. I am not complaining. We're actually on the same mindset here. Threads here recycle themselves and for me as a veteran user (lookit my rank) it's not new and exciting as if I was a fresh user. That's the point itself.

Perhaps a way to make it new is to add your experience to the mix and maybe grant the new person your seasoned insight? :-)

starfox
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2015, 2:05 pm

Yeah I've noticed that but I don't mind at all :)

Destruction and creation are 2 sides of the same coin.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2015, 4:28 pm

Chummy wrote:
By the way, have you guys noticed pretty much all of the threads recycle themselves once in every few years in some shape or form?

It's way more often than that. Some topics recycle on about a weekly or monthly basis. Sometimes a new thread pops up no sooner than the last one fell off the front page.

However if people bump up old threads instead of starting new ones, people complain about it. There's no pleasing people here.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2015, 5:49 pm

Learning about yourself by learning about others. I found this forum to be extremely useful. Sure, I get it, if you have been here a while, threads are bound to repeat. Don't expect new members to scour the hundreds of pages of this forum just to find a thread on the same topic burried who knows where. If you don't like those threads for whatever reason, well may I suggest you just don't open them or read them? Problem solved. That was easy.

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2015, 8:13 pm

Chummy wrote:
beakybird wrote:
Chummy wrote:
half of the threads in these forums are pointless...

It's either

1) Post a pic or share some fact about yourself so people can rate you or tell you whether you're good on not depending on their mood. If they feel bad, they'd want you to feel even worse so they could feed off your crappy feeling. If they are on a good day, or just feel like not bullies or just good people in general they can boost your confidence.

or

2) Describe something that happened to you. ask for advice. Now go tell a person you don't know,never met, and most importantly you wasn't there when the whole thing/situation happend and actually advise him. Because you know it can do more harm than good.

I don't post much. But I read alot. And as a keen observer, I noticed those things on the forums. By the way, have you guys noticed pretty much all of the threads recycle themselves once in every few years in some shape or form? lol just my 2 cents.

Well I think seeking/offering advice and reaching out to identify with others has far more of a point than the counting games...

Seriously though, you can generalize any interpersonal communication in this way. I do it all the time in my own head in the day to day world. I think 90% of people's conversations are shallow and dumb. It's all talk about TV shows and whatever whitewashed, edited "news" stories are going on. Sports too, while I love them, could be considered pointless.

I mean philosophically speaking, what the "point" to anything? If you really think about it, religious views aside, any of our actions, thoughts or feelings not directly contributing to our continued survival are pointless. s**t, one could argue that even our continued survival is pointless in and of itself.

Sometimes a stranger can have better insight than a close friend or family member because they have nothing to gain or lose in the outcome of your dilemma. This would lead to more open honest responses. Often people asking for advice just want a starting point to figure things out on their own.

Why don't you start some thread that have a "real point" then? Seriously, not being a dick here. Just try initiating a conversation instead of observing and maybe you can find people with things to say that interest you.

Everyone using a forum like this has different motivations. Alot of the people on here have literally no one they feel they can talk to or relate with. Don't criticize that. Some people may have (like me) a small (and growing smaller) group of trusted people to seek advice from but just need people with common ways of thinking and interests to BS with.

*Desperation after wrongplanet didn't submit my message* *writes again*

I like where you're heading with this post. And just to clarify, I am not being a troll either. You know, it's just cyberbullying has been happening all over the web, and it didn't skip wrongplanet just because we're aspies. We are not angels after all. People who feel vulnerable and naively vent and express a need here, may sometimes get intentionally or unintentionally mislead or misadvised (if that's even a word?). How do I know? I didn't just watch. In the past when I was a teen a surfed some forums because back then I didn't have friends and little going on for me...... and was not treated well whatsoever for no good reason. I just think to myself sometimes I see posts like: "should I leave my BF" and ppl actually tell her "yes" or "no", I can't see how that's gonna help no matter what life experiences you had.

By the way, I am not this place is negative at all. I don't think half of the posts are useless, it was a mere exxageration to get my point through. I just wanted to open this thread to see if anyone also witnessed stuff like that. By the way, I enjoy my time here and am a loyal friend and member of the community. So no, this is definitely not a negative place.

And then goes on to another point of discussion. Are online friends better/can subsitude real friends? My opinion is flat out no, and never. The more time I spend near my computer with online friends the less I have time to meet or even talk on the phone with my real life friends. Again, it's not black or white. Not saying online friends are "bad". I once was at a lecture of a professional care/pyschotherapist for people with disabilities ( especially ADHD, Autism/Asperger, Learning disorders etc etc) and she stressed that exact same thing.

Sure, real friends are better. If you have any. From what I've understood many people here do not have many or none at all. While I'm married, that's pretty much the only person I have to talk with. So online people will have to do.

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2015, 12:15 am

What is exciting, that's over time there are new users and posters... That's huge! so people do come out with fresh ideas and even if threads recycle, we can have new insights, and get to "know" other people.

NowhereWoman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Oct 2015, 12:39 am

DP

Last edited by NowhereWoman on 13 Oct 2015, 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

NowhereWoman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Oct 2015, 12:40 am

The thing is...people are more alike than we think and many of us will struggle with the same issues. Even NTs and ASD individuals can have the same issues (relationship problems/difficulties starting a relationship, feelings of not being understood, etc.). So make that even smaller by having a forum that focuses on ASD and there will be even more of an overlap.

And of course there's the issue of how people tend to remark on "zombie" threads when a person does a search and resurrects one rather than start a new thread about the same subject, and it's embarrassing to be called out like that, so...?

Also, different eyes seeing a similar subject at different times might each have a different "take" on a certain subject.

If you stick around any forum for long enough you will begin to think it's all becoming redundant. But that can't be helped by new people just not posting. In the latter case things really WILL stagnate and just kind of die off.

To the newcomer, the situation is new...to him or her. To veterans, hardly anything is new. Waiting around for something really new and ground-breaking...say, a new study that doesn't reiterate stuff that's already been rehashed many times...might take weeks, or months, or longer. And that would be one very dead forum indeed.

If I'm an oldie on a forum and I see the same subject I feel I've answered a hundred times already, I just skip that one, or else I read it to see if there is a fresh take on the subject matter even if the general subject seems like one that's been gone over many times. But either way I have that choice. I can ignore what seems redundant to me. I don't expect anyone to entertain me on this or any forum or to ask questions just the way I want to have a question asked or to make sure they're being fresh or original, etc., etc.,, the forum isn't just about me and it isn't here for my personal entertainment. :D At least not as I see things, this is only my personal POV.