Violent People Will Be Violent Despite Sanity Status.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2015, 3:42 pm

One thing the mentally ill and sane have in common - they are each equally capable of violent, destructive behavior, yet people are so quick to blame violence on mental illness. Such a cop out!

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2015, 4:00 pm

At lot of "human" and "social" thinking is influenced by prejudice and ignorance.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2015, 5:12 pm

Most of the world's violence depends upon "sane" people to happen.

Drive by shooters in the ghetto tend to be clinically "sane".

Mob hitmen tend to be clinically sane.

Members of lynch mobs are clinically sane pillars of the community.

Armed forces dont even allow psychotics to enlist. So if you're insane you cant help the world wage wars, kill enemy soldiers, nor contribute to war crimes against civilians. The sane folks get to have all of that fun!

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2015, 6:28 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

Armed forces dont even allow psychotics to enlist. So if you're insane you cant help the world wage wars, kill enemy soldiers, nor contribute to war crimes against civilians. The sane folks get to have all of that fun!

And the most prevalent violence of all is done in the name of financial gain. How many shows on Discovery I.D. showcase murders committed for the life insurance payout? I have seen so many I lost count long ago. People who commit these crimes are quite rational and sane. They just want money and will do anything to get it. That's what it is. Whenever these happen you don't see politicians grandstanding the issue for attention. It's reported by the media, ignored by the politicians, yet far more people have died like this than in mass shootings.
Why don't we, as a nation, address this type of epidemic that happens far too often?

NowhereWoman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Oct 2015, 3:13 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

And the most prevalent violence of all is done in the name of financial gain. How many shows on Discovery I.D. showcase murders committed for the life insurance payout? I have seen so many I lost count long ago. People who commit these crimes are quite rational and sane. They just want money and will do anything to get it. That's what it is. Whenever these happen you don't see politicians grandstanding the issue for attention. It's reported by the media, ignored by the politicians, yet far more people have died like this than in mass shootings.
Why don't we, as a nation, address this type of epidemic that happens far too often?

This is actually something that has always puzzled me, though. How could someone who thinks "I really need money...therefore, I'll end my wife's life" be sane?

I can't wrap my head around it and am not sure how to explain it any better than that. I guess I just think of it as: wanting money is sane. Killing someone and chopping up the body in order to get that money can't be sane.

How could it?

Please know that I'm not saying those who kill whether due to mental illness or not should not be tried and punished. I'm not saying mental illness is an "excuse" for avoiding punishment. Obviously, the punishment has to happen. I'm just saying I can't wrap my head around "Well, that woman who shot her husband in the head, poured acid on his fingers to blur his prints and chopped off his head and burned it in order to avoid identification [or whatever horror story] was TOTALLY SANE!"

I...just...I can't.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2015, 4:22 am

NowhereWoman wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

This is actually something that has always puzzled me, though. How could someone who thinks "I really need money...therefore, I'll end my wife's life" be sane?

I can't wrap my head around it and am not sure how to explain it any better than that. I guess I just think of it as: wanting money is sane. Killing someone and chopping up the body in order to get that money can't be sane.

How could it?

Please know that I'm not saying those who kill whether due to mental illness or not should not be tried and punished. I'm not saying mental illness is an "excuse" for avoiding punishment. Obviously, the punishment has to happen. I'm just saying I can't wrap my head around "Well, that woman who shot her husband in the head, poured acid on his fingers to blur his prints and chopped off his head and burned it in order to avoid identification [or whatever horror story] was TOTALLY SANE!"

I...just...I can't.

Yeah. For this, and other reasons, I dont understand Ana's response to what I said.

1) What you said.- How is killing your mom for money "sane". And most real life detectives interviewed on TV docs say that most folks who kill family members"for greed" are not really killing for greed. Theyre killing out of hate (and the insurance policy, or whatever was the afterthought icing on the cake).

2)Is Ana saying that politicians (and voters) should NOT care about school spree shootings?

3) Though there maybe a steady attrition of Menendez Brothers type killings every year -there is no "epidemic". Its not getting more common. In contrast school mass murders do seem to be a trend.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2015, 1:41 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

You say: "And the most prevalent violence of all is done in the name of financial gain."
and "They just want money and will do anything to get it."
and "Why don't we, as a nation, address this type of epidemic that happens far too often?"

Hi. :) I live in the U.S.A. (United States of America) where the above items are encouraged (sometimes not out loud) and the pursuit of money is more important to many than anything else in life. Here, this is viewed as a "positive" and children are encouraged to emulate the successful.

What country do YOU live in?

DailyPoutine1
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2015, 1:46 pm

Human nature was always about being egoistical and power hungry. It will always be such.