Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2015, 9:33 pm

Anyone know of an adapter that will let an older monitor plug into an HDMI port on a computer? (I'm looking at a new motherboard, but it lacks a VGA port.)

Also, I've heard when you use HDMI, it can shut down the computer's audio output jack (trying to send the audio thru the HDMI). Not a good thing for a VGA monitor (which naturally has no sound).

Any Windows 7 or Windows 10 settings that could fix that problem?

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

polarity
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2015, 12:10 pm

If you want to convert from one connector to another, chances are Startech make it:

http://www.startech.com/AV/Converters/Video/HDMI-to-VGA-Adapter-Converter-for-Desktop-PC-Laptop-Ultrabook-1920x1080~HD2VGAE2

I've never had an HDMI connected device switch my PC's audio. I'm guessing there are pins in the HDMI connector that have to be connected to an actual audio device to do that, like the speakers in an HDMI TV. Your PC's control panel should have options to switch back to the PC soundcard anyway, and even if that doesn't work, then the device manager will probably have an additional sound output device listed to handle HDMI audio, that can be disabled.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2015, 12:13 pm

Edit: whoops, this is a strange request.

USB display link to VGA adapters might exist somewhere, no matter what, this is gonna cause display artifacts...

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2015, 8:51 pm

Adafruit to the rescue!

http://www.adafruit.com/products/1151?g ... fgodQWwD6Q
...with an audio-out jack, of course.

They really are a wonderful company and good people.