Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2015, 12:44 pm

ASPickle wrote:
I must admit that when I saw this provocative thread title with Ezra as the OP, I was a bit concerned. I'm glad I read through it, though, as it reminded me of how much I enjoy your insights, Ezra.

Agree 100% to this, my thoughts as well.

boredome
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2015, 1:45 pm

i agree with what you say. i see so much elitism here, the mindset seems to be 'autistics versus nt's'. and i don't get it, what do autistic people have about them that nt's don't that makes them so much better?? it's weird

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2015, 2:01 pm

The autistics/NT discussions remind me of those teenage discussions about whether men or women are the best gender. The debate can go on forever, largely because half the people are male and the other half female, and nobody would like to be the inferior gender. It doesn't change the fact that we are all related to people of both sexes, though :mrgreen:

Here on WP everybody either is or is related to an autistic, and they either are or are related to NTs (a few exceptions, but those are hardly influential).

There is something so self-destructive about looking down on the other group. If the aliens beamed us up tomorrow, they would have a hard time telling us apart.

CryingTears15
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Oct 2015, 4:02 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
People with autism are people, too. They have all the faults and nice qualities of so-called "normal" people.

It would be nice if autistic and nonautistic people would realize this, and treat people like people rather than "autistic" people or "NTs."

It would be nice if people of varying neurotypes would meet each other halfway.

^^^ this...

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2015, 4:09 pm

Not all NT's are to be hated and feared, just as not all Aspies are to be adored and worshiped.

IgA
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Oct 2015, 4:55 pm

Good points all around. Bullying occurs in all groups of people -- even among nuns and priests. People prey on weakness. Everyone has their share of weaknesses; if they are social in nature, the interactions become stressful for the people involved. When stressed, a common response is to become negative. It is hard to resist lashing out when you become uncomfortable and stressed. Some lash out by becoming passive aggressive rather than full-on aggressive, which is less socially acceptable.

Misunderstandings can prompt stress, and lead to negative assumptions, thus produce a stress response of some kind. My stress response often includes avoiding anything that has caused unresolved conflicts in the past. Most interactions with people are neutral or negative. Since there are only rare positive interactions in my past, I avoid direct interacting when possible. My energy and time is wasted on social activities. Practice has not helped much.

I have many sensitivities, which qualify as weaknesses, and they become apparent pretty quickly if I am not prepared. Talking without a script leads to awkward encounters, which makes the person/people I'm talking to uncomfortable. I give great presentations, because I have prepared. That assessment isn't my own; it comes from professors and peers. Utilizing my long-term memory pathway makes for a more relaxed demeanor. The short-term memory pathway creates too much stress in me, which leads to stress in others. Stress is contagious.

In summary, all groups are sensitive to stressful interactions. If spontaneous conversation on topics you don't often talk about make you feel stressed, then it might be helpful to create a few scripts that could work in multiple situations. That way, you utilize your long-term memory pathway. This may lessen your stress, which can prevent the 'stress transfer', and in turn, prevent a negative response.