Do a little bit more than the boss asks you

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

hmk66
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Oct 2015, 2:10 pm

A while ago my boss asked me to go to the room where the student files are and make a list of student names whose files are yet missing. And so I did. I went to my boss: "Here is the list of names of students whose files are missing."
She: "Thank you, then I will find the class and contact those students' mentors."

After completion the workday was over and a weekend followed. I mailed my boss: "What if I make some additions to the list, such as the previous class and location where the students went?" She didn't react.

On Monday after the weekend, I did what I suggested myself to do, making a list of locations, class and names. I made a list where the names are first sorted on location names and then on class names. I gave it to my boss. She said: "Good!" she seems to be very happy. I wanted to ask something to her, but first I asked: "Are you very busy?"
She: "Yes, Hmk."
I: "Okay... See you!"

I think it is good behaviour if you do a little bit more than the boss asks you, if you see the goal of the subsequent tasks. There is something that has to be achieved.

What do you think?

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2015, 2:18 pm

I agree. I think it is always good to do a bit more, as long as it doesn't take too much more time or more than it would take most people. For me, it always took me much less time to accomplish tasks, so yes, I did just as you did, however, please know that co-workers will not necessarily like it. I worked for years and was constantly treated poorly by some co-workers because they felt that because of me, the bar was raised. For example in a job I had, we had to do these calculations and only 1.9 per hour were required for the maximum raise...I worked at my own pace but always did close to 10. When the max was raised to 2.9, most people hated me for it. The same happened in another job where I was very detailed, could do requirements, test script, etc. all at the same time and then others in my group started complaining because they could barely do the bare minimum that was required. While I did make some friends higher up and was constantly called upon to help out in important projects by them, at the end of the day, my co-workers made sure that they created havoc in my work life because of it...eventually I was let go, NOT because of my work ethic, but because those around me truly ganged up on me complaining that I did TOO MUCH and made sure that they found something to complain about to put in my reviews, even though most was made up, too many of them vs. me didn't help.

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2015, 2:39 pm

Good work matters, but presentation is more important IMO.

Marvin_the_Martian
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Oct 2015, 9:14 am

I agree.

I'm an aspie teacher ... a chef instructor who teaches Culinary Arts at a small rural high school in Nevada. Last year I transferred from the bustling area of Las Vegas out to my current school and my new admin asked if I could cater a luncheon for 35 people DURING THE SUMMER prior to the date that teachers reported back to work.

I didn't hesitate.

I was given a choice of culinary themes and a budget.

I could have gone with something simple like spaghetti and meatballs with toasted garlic bread and a salad ... but as the OP suggested, I put my proverbial best foot forward.

I produced:

1) An appetizer of toasted garlic bread topped with shrimp scampi

2) An appetizer of mushrooms stuffed with green chili polenta, bacon, and cheese

3) An appetizer of sticky rice balls stuffed with Pepper Jack cheese

4) The main entree consisted of a breaded lemon chicken breast which was served with a spinach and cheese stuffed pasta and grilled vegetables

5) The dessert was a buffet that included: fresh fruit salad, banana based vegan berry ice cream, carrot cake topped with an orange-lemon buttercream frosting (two different flavors and two different colors presented in a piped spiral pattern), chocolate cream cheese pie, open faced glazed berry shortbread tarts, pizzelles (Italian waffle cookies rolled into a cylinder) stuffed with lemon cream cheese.

The lunch was a huge success. Everyone was smiles. For a bit of work (since I had no student staff), I kicked off the school year with everyone talking to each other the skills and talent of "that new chef instructor from Vegas."

:D