Anyone on WP with experience in sewing?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

LiberalJustice
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2015, 6:53 pm

I ask because it is something that has interested me for a few years now, and I want to get opinions from others regarding a few things. In fact, I just recently got a Brother LS-30 from a friend (for which I'm still looking for a manual that I can at least try to print; I hate looking at manuals via computer). It seems like a good starter machine on which to learn the basics, and I intend to hold on to it for a few years or so. I will admit, however, that I don't have very high expectations for it for long-term (more than, say, 5 years) use seeing as it is a newer machine (I've heard the vintage ones are better, but I digress). Given all of this, added to the fact that I am a newbie, I want opinions from those who sew on the following:

What type/model of sewing machines would you recommend for long-term use? Which ones would it be advisable to stay away from?

Are there any particular issues that you encounter or have encountered frequently when sewing?

What type(s) of sewing do you do (mending, garment construction, household goods, etc.)?

What are some maintenance tasks that you find difficult? What are some easier ones?

What are some types of projects that you enjoy vs. ones that you don't?

I know that might read as if it were more an interview than a forum post (LOL), but I am curious.

Thanks,

LiberalJustice

Adopted mother to a cat named Charlotte, and grandmother to 3 kittens.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2015, 10:32 pm

I can sew and use a sewing machine, but most of the sewing I do is basic and simple. I mostly use it for making hand-made dolls of my cartoon characters and occasionally other characters as well. For example I've made anime-style "kawaii" dolls of Mickey, Minne, Donald, Daisy and Pluto.

My mom did a lot of sewing when I was a kid and I would watch and learn while she would make clothing and Halloween costumes for my brother and me.

My biggest problem is trying to keep the stitching to stay on the pattern line, especially when making round shapes, and sewing entirely by hand is quite boring and time-consuming although I can do it.

My mother said the other week no one really sews any more, but I don't know since DIY seems like a big thing right now.

Drawyer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2015, 12:58 am

What type/model of sewing machines would you recommend for long-term use?
Which ones would it be advisable to stay away from?

Brother/Singer models are good. I've used both of them, and both have good for long term use.
For long term use, spend some money like around 300$, I bought mine at around 500$ at that time.

Mine(in the pic) is Brother innovis. I've used this one for almost 5-6years.
It sews very thick (2 or 3 layers of jean fabric) fabrics without any problem,
which is one of reasons I might recommend you this model.

But I bet there are a lot better new strong models out there.

Are there any particular issues that you encounter or have encountered frequently when sewing?
Yeah, like changing needles, foots, threads, winding the bobbins are things that rather frequently happen,
they are basics..and easy to learn.

What type(s) of sewing do you do (mending, garment construction, household goods, etc.)?
I used to make pants, shirts, bags, and curtains, cushion covers, shoes for indoors
only because I was so into this sewing….it's very playful..
if I have time I definitely can immerse myself into sewing all day long.
These days I only use it for mending clothes as I have rather little free time to do that.

What are some maintenance tasks that you find difficult? What are some easier ones?
I read instruction manual whenever I face difficulty. So far so good.

I most enjoy sewing house goods which require sort of more creation. I don't like mending.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2015, 8:57 am

LiberalJustice wrote:
What type/model of sewing machines would you recommend for long-term use? Which ones would it be advisable to stay away from?

I recommend vintage Singer, as I have one, and wouldn't part with it, for ANYTHING!! I don't see anything wrong, with "Brother", and have enjoyed using one----but, I wouldn't recommend one, for long-term use; but, only because, IMO, the more fancy, the more can go wrong with it. If your business, for instance, would call-for "fancy"----say, if you made / sold monogrammed towels, or something like that----then, YES, Brother is VERY good!

Buttonholes and zippers, can be a mutha----but then, you get used to it!

All of the above----but, garment construction is my favorite (I've wanted to be a Fashion Designer ever since I was a little girl, when I made all of my "Sunday-go-to-meetin'" clothes).

Hemming is not difficult, per se----but, it's quite boring, as it doesn't advance, very quickly. I guess the easiest maintenance task would be darning a sock (yes, I still do that), or sewing-on, a button.

Well, as I said before, clothes construction is my favorite----followed, closely, by home decoration items (like, pillows and personalized Christmas stockings).

I really hope you take to it, and enjoy it. I would recommend, if you're going to use bought patterns, to NOT buy Vogue or Butterick, as they are difficult for a beginner----McCall's is the best, IMO.

So many things our grandmothers taught us, for instance, are a bit of a dying art, now.

Drawyer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2015, 4:43 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
I recommend vintage Singer, as I have one, and wouldn't part with it, for ANYTHING!! I don't see anything wrong, with "Brother", and have enjoyed using one----but, I wouldn't recommend one, for long-term use; but, only because, IMO, the more fancy, the more can go wrong with it. If your business, for instance, would call-for "fancy"----say, if you made / sold monogrammed towels, or something like that----then, YES, Brother is VERY good!
I think you're right. Brother is fit for that fancy things in general. :D

Anachron
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Oct 2015, 5:56 pm

I want to get into sewing too.
I found this one for $140 and it is currently on my wish list:
SINGER 4423 Heavy Duty Extra-High Sewing Speed Sewing Machine
I don't know if I can do better for the money.
I wanted one that was hard to break.
I haven't sewn since high school.
I need to make cushions for a window seat that I've already made.
I also want to make comfy clothes.
I don't like the way we humans dress.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2015, 5:47 am

Anachron wrote:
I want to get into sewing too.
I found this one for $140 and it is currently on my wish list:
SINGER 4423 Heavy Duty Extra-High Sewing Speed Sewing Machine
I don't know if I can do better for the money.
I wanted one that was hard to break.
I haven't sewn since high school.
I need to make cushions for a window seat that I've already made.
I also want to make comfy clothes.
I don't like the way we humans dress.

Yeah, when I have enough money, I'm planning-on making a whole wardrobe full of long (not ankle-length), 100 percent cotton dresses----in every color of the rainbow (except light-blue; I don't like light colors).

That's a great price for that sewing machine! The "extra-high sewing speed" worries me, though, since you haven't sewn, for awhile.

Llwyn
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Oct 2015, 4:41 pm

How exciting to be starting a new hobby! Sewing can be a lot of fun, and it is so cool to be able to sit back and admire something that you made yourself.

I sew and have done for years. Although I can use a machine, I'd rather not and prefer to do my work by hand. It saves me the aggravation of breaking/changing needles, winding bobbins, breaking thread, trying to keep heavy fabric on the table, making sure my stitches are equally spaced and sized, etc.

I agree with the others who recommend Singer. They know how to make a good machine.

Mostly I sew to make home furnishings. While I generally enjoy it, my most recent project of making 4 pairs of floor-to-ceiling velvet, bullion-fringed draperies has put me off it for a while. They are gorgeous and I saved myself several hundred dollars my making them myself, but the tediousness sure did suck!

I generally don't mind routine mending projects since they are usually pretty quick and easy (hemming clothes, replacing buttons, etc.) and it is great to be able to do them myself, but I usually pay a seamstress to replace zippers. They are not my idea of a good time.

Have fun! :)

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2015, 12:04 pm

I haven't used a pattern in years, but I agree with Cat, McCalls is the best.

I have a cheapo machine that I rarely use. I rarely do it, but I can sew, crewel stitch embroider, and cross-stitch. I only do the more difficult cross-stitch patterns, usually trees and landscapes.

The last thing I made was a new cover for my Ikea chair. They no longer make covers for it. Before that I made a couple of quilts just after my son was born. I prefer to make geometric things or to translate whatever I'm making into geometric shapes in a synesthesia type method, where they sort of have number, shape and personality properties to them. It's soothing. I've been stressed out and should probably pick something up to work on, but my son is in a grabby stage and I wouldn't want him to grab anything with needles.

Moomingirl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2015, 2:10 am

I have the Brother BM2600. It's just like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Brother-XL2600I-A ... her+bm2600
except it's the older version which doesn't have the automatic buttonhole feature.

I've had mine for probably close to ten years. It's never given me any trouble, the only thing that has gone wrong with it in all that time is a blown bulb. When I bought the machine I was advised that it was only for basic dressmaking type stuff, but I've been hard on it, including putting industrial strength material through. I've either been really lucky, or it's a good solid machine. I do go really slowly (and sometimes wind by hand) if I am using really thick fabric. I've broken a few needles, but the machine is going strong.

Personally, and I don't know if this is related to Autism or not, or is just me, I have real problems with spacial awareness. So tricky patterns can be an issue, and I'll find I've sewed something inside out, or the pockets on upside down or something. I definitely make a lot less of those errors when I sew more frequently, and more if I sew for too many hours at a time and get too tired or lose concentration.

I've made some dresses, trousers, I do a lot of repairs, some household stuff like cushions and bags. I've even sewn some of my husband's canvas boat covers.

I keep a cover over the machine and blow any dust off when I use it. I think my hubby oiled it once. Not very good at that kind of thing. :?

Personally I'm better with short projects, otherwise I can lose interest and give up. I enjoy taking cheap clothes from charity / second hand shops and modifying them to suit. My favourite ever was a long 1970s bridesmaid dress that I turned into a super cute funky mini dress. Generally with dressmaking from patterns, unless it's a 'quick one/ two hour' easy pattern, I'll never manage to finish it. I make really plain loose elastic waist trousers, and loose cotton dresses. I like natural loose fabrics. I don't enjoy tricky patterns or thick fabrics, and as Campin'Cat says, button holes can be a 'challenge'.