WTF Article claims Positive Effects of Bullying Autistics

Page 16 of 16 [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2015, 5:25 pm

NowhereWoman wrote:
^ But are insane people incapable of logic?

That's something I've never been able to fully understand about deciding whether or not a murderer was/is "insane." The assumptions seem to be along the lines of: premeditation means it can't be insanity...I can see that that wouldn't be classified as TEMPORARY insanity (I guess?) but is it actually true that a person who's mentally ill/insane can't premeditate? (I really don't know, which is why I'm asking.)

And...the example of using logic above. Is it true that it's impossible for an insane person to ever employ logic?

Again, not doing an "aha!" here, :lol: I'm actually asking as I don't know.

[personal philosophy]I don't think people are sane or insane, aside from people with actual physical damage to their brain. I think most people we call "insane" we do for an emotional lift-- it's easier to swallow if we make that person "other", and not like each and every one of us should we be unfortunate enough to face the events the "insane" person has had to deal with. I'm a believer that any person, even the sweet old lady down the street, can become "insane" if forced to go through certain circumstances. That being said, in school shootings I don't think the shooter is actively thinking, at least not with their logical brain, I think their behavior is influenced much more by the underlying reptilian instinct than anything thoughtful. [/personal philosophy]

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2015, 5:31 pm

Rudin wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
I still don't see that perspective so I guess that is what we would define as a mental illness or as insanity. If they only killed their abusers, then I would understand how they would see it as self defense. I have always had violent thoughts but it was only aimed at people who hurt me, not at a random person who has never done me any harm. But I never actually acted on it.

Yes, and that would result in a mere homicide, but again, there's an institutional component to these cases. In virtually every one of them, aside from Sandy Hook, there were people in places of power siding with the bullies against the bullied. Now, a bullied person that has a proclivity towards violence will see the institution itself as the problem, including everyone who actively supported the bullies, or supported them through silence-- that's why innocent people become a target, the mass shooter doesn't see them as such.

It's easier to swallow if we call them insane or crazy, but it's not accurate since they're actually using logical evolutionary instincts-- cornered animals always fight back, they have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Again, I'm not supporting mass shooters, there's nothing I'd like more than for it to stop, but demonizing the shooter without trying to understanding why they snap is counter productive.

I now understand why some seemingly innocent people are killed in the shootings. However, I will never understand why the Columbine shooters killed a special needs student with speech problems, I'll never have the remotest inkling as to what they were thinking. That is just cruel.

When a person has been dehumanized, well, they're no longer human and thus don't see other humans with any value-- disabled, black, brown, green, doesn't matter since they're all the same: enemies. It's the same type of "extermination" philosophy that the Nazis had, but it's carried out by an individual, not a group. And before anyone makes the claim I'm equating jews with bullies, not it at all, I'm saying the same underlying mentality can be seen in both mass murderers and the Nazi philosophy-- extermination of everyone not the same as themselves.

edit: grammar.

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2015, 5:34 pm

NowhereWoman wrote:
^ But are insane people incapable of logic?

That's something I've never been able to fully understand about deciding whether or not a murderer was/is "insane." The assumptions seem to be along the lines of: premeditation means it can't be insanity...I can see that that wouldn't be classified as TEMPORARY insanity (I guess?) but is it actually true that a person who's mentally ill/insane can't premeditate? (I really don't know, which is why I'm asking.)

And...the example of using logic above. Is it true that it's impossible for an insane person to ever employ logic?

Again, not doing an "aha!" here, :lol: I'm actually asking as I don't know.

Well you can't definitely determine if a murderer is insane or not. Psychology is just probability. Diagnosing someone is a bunch of educated hunches based on what humans are observed doing. As a student of mathematics, that will not suffice.

If you want to prove a difficult problem, you must find a mathematical proof to prove it with absolute certainty. If we were to go about doing mathematics in the same way as psychology, the Riemann Hypothesis is true since it has been observed to be true for certain cases a few billion times, which is simply not enough.

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2015, 5:35 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
Rudin wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
I still don't see that perspective so I guess that is what we would define as a mental illness or as insanity. If they only killed their abusers, then I would understand how they would see it as self defense. I have always had violent thoughts but it was only aimed at people who hurt me, not at a random person who has never done me any harm. But I never actually acted on it.

Yes, and that would result in a mere homicide, but again, there's an institutional component to these cases. In virtually every one of them, aside from Sandy Hook, there were people in places of power siding with the bullies against the bullied. Now, a bullied person that has a proclivity towards violence will see the institution itself as the problem, including everyone who actively supported the bullies, or supported them through silence-- that's why innocent people become a target, the mass shooter doesn't see them as such.

It's easier to swallow if we call them insane or crazy, but it's not accurate since they're actually using logical evolutionary instincts-- cornered animals always fight back, they have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Again, I'm not supporting mass shooters, there's nothing I'd like more than for it to stop, but demonizing the shooter without trying to understanding why they snap is counter productive.

I now understand why some seemingly innocent people are killed in the shootings. However, I will never understand why the Columbine shooters killed a special needs student with speech problems, I'll never have the remotest inkling as to what they were thinking. That is just cruel.

When a person has been dehumanized, well, they're no longer human and thus don't see other humans with any value-- disabled, black, brown, green, doesn't matter since they're all the same: enemies. It's the same type of "extermination" philosophy that the Nazis had, but it's carried out by an individual, not a group. And before anyone makes the claim I'm equating jews with bullies, not it at all, I'm saying the same underlying mentality can be seen in both mass murderers and the Nazi philosophy-- extermination of everyone not the same as themselves.

edit: grammar.

I see.

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider

waynet7
Raven
Raven

18 Oct 2015, 8:00 pm

I have been a member of this forum for several weeks now, but this thread has prompted me to make my first post. I am 41 and although I have yet to be diagnosed with Asperger's (I strongly believe I have it and am in the process of getting evaluated), I can certainly relate to bullying. When I was in school, from the 7th grade to graduation, I was bullied, often verbally, sometimes physically, sometimes both at once. Bullies are nothing more than savages. You cannot reason with them or otherwise treat with them. They understand one thing- FORCE. This banter I hear coming from the media and school officials about reporting bullies is TOTAL BUNK! I found that reporting those people only ensured that they would be back-WITH THEIR FRIENDS. I came to understand that fighting was the ONLY solution to the problem-win or lose did not matter. I went though this garbage at school only to come home to mentally abusive parents. Only a good sense of right and wrong prevented me from literally killing my own so called mom (and the fact that dad would have done me in afterward). I can't count how many times I was told 'you're pathetic' 'you're worthless' and 'you won't amount to anything'. I only heard 'I'm proud of you', once. I could not believe my ears. There is a lot more to this terrible story, but I won't say it here, suffice to say that when I die I expect credit for time served in Hell.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2015, 8:11 pm

waynet7 wrote:
There is a lot more to this terrible story, but I won't say it here, suffice to say that when I die I expect credit for time served in Hell.

I'm sympathetic to your suffering. I didn't have parents near like what you described, so I cannot relate on that front, only give my sympathy-- which having been through other difficult things myself, I know isn't worth the cost of electricity it took to type and post. That being said I applaud your ability to contain your anger before it spilled into bloodshed, I hope something constructive came from your experience. The part of your post I quoted shows you've developed a healthy sense of humor over the events (very snarky), which I think is fundamental to getting over any type of abuse.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2015, 8:14 pm

sonicallysensitive wrote:
OMG, did you see what this woman wrote?! I'm going to put this on my fb, and pass it to all my friends! I'll tell them to pass it to all their friends!

OMG this is terrible. Who is this woman? Let me read up on her. Oh, she has an app - I wonder what nonsense that is.

Actually, that app sounds pretty good - I think I'll look into it

You've all just given the woman tens of thousands of dollars worth of free promotion through your own self-righteous sense of injustice and inequality.

You activists - your sense of injustice is actually what traps you, as others know saying the least thing that'll 'offend' will provoke a reaction that you won't let go of until you feel like justice has been carried through.

Silly little puppies, all being led down the garden path....

Take off the blinkers and see the article for what it is - a promotional tool. Your sense of self-importance is blinding you from reality.

Do you think the article would exist without an app to promote?

Good God, people...

I was the first to explicitly point out in this thread that the article was a promotional tool. What to do?. Do nothing just take it, let her make profits from her horrific tactic and let her treatments she sold by using this tactic damage Autistic kids by trying to make them less Autistic as possible. Yell and scream. That may go two ways. It could as you expect backfire making her more profits and damaging more kids them would have happened if we just would have shut the bleep up. Or it could lead to widespread condemnation thus damaging her brand leading to less profits and less damaged autistic kids.

All I know is just shutting up and taking it rarely worked for me.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

GodzillaWoman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2015, 9:53 pm

OMG, did you see what this woman wrote?! I'm going to put this on my fb, and pass it to all my friends! I'll tell them to pass it to all their friends!

OMG this is terrible. Who is this woman? Let me read up on her. Oh, she has an app - I wonder what nonsense that is.

Actually, that app sounds pretty good - I think I'll look into it

You may be right, but I think you're assigning way too much intelligence and deviousness to this woman, especially since most of the readers had such a negative reaction to it. Why would an angry mom want to buy the app? I think she genuinely does want to say that positive change can come from a bad situation, and that it can be a opportunity for growth. My guess is that she just made some very poor word choices. On the other hand, there are those who think that there is no such thing as bad press.

You've all just given the woman tens of thousands of dollars worth of free promotion through your own self-righteous sense of injustice and inequality.

You activists - your sense of injustice is actually what traps you, as others know saying the least thing that'll 'offend' will provoke a reaction that you won't let go of until you feel like justice has been carried through.

More, like, we don't need to see what appear to be arguments that seem to give justification to school administrators who are reluctant to interfere in bullying. It's probably not her intent, but the general lack of sensitivity in her delivery obliterated her intended message.

Silly little puppies, all being led down the garden path....

Take off the blinkers and see the article for what it is - a promotional tool. Your sense of self-importance is blinding you from reality.

Do you think the article would exist without an app to promote?

Good God, people...[/quote]
Whew! Now who's going off with the ad hominems? I thought this was just a debate?