Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

magikalmeguca
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Oct 2015, 1:26 am

I'm currently a senior in high school and I'm having trouble staying afloat. My grades are fine and I'm collegebound but the social aspects are killing me. I have no friends at all, and I'm not sure how to make any. I find it really hard to communicate with people as if I just don't understand them or what their intentions are. I just feel really weird that everyone has their own cliques and I'm always alone. People around me seem really different from me as well, I find it hard to relate to anyone. My interests are really different and people usually aren't interested or think they're just geeky or weird. Or there's something that I really like but there's nobody to talk to about it, like if I asked someone about it they wouldn't know. (I'm a huge history nerd).The easiest people I find to talk to are teachers, I find that they're more understanding of me. But I also have teachers that push me to interact with people more and I usually resent, I'll be told discuss the topic with the person sitting next to me but I'll simply refuse to talk to them. It feels like I don't belong anywhere, it also feels like nobody gets to see my good qualities, only the bad ones. I want a few friends but I'm very distrusting of people because if how I've been treated in the past (I was picked on a lot). I'm not sure what to do.

GreenOwl
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Oct 2015, 9:18 pm

Welcome to WP!

I think being a part of the WP community will be good for you, magikalmeguca.

You can make friends here, share your problems and interact with people in a way that you are not able to at school.

Personally the only thing that keeps me afloat is being on my own when I arrive home - it could be a walk or just sitting outside for while.
That's what keeps me sane - and also knowing that I'm a good person despite other people's opinion of me.

WaveOfChange
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Oct 2015, 10:00 pm

Welcome to WrongPlanet!

I'm on the college road as well. I understand what you mean when you say you'll have an interest and it'll just fly over everyone else's heads. Tell me if this sounds familiar: You want meaningful conversation, but what's meaningful to you isn't as meaningful to others. I can talk to others, and fluently engage them, but it doesn't feel meaningful to me...

High school is really lonely for those who mature faster than others, being interested in philosophy, the state of the world, and other deep/complex topics (or history in your case) doesn't really click with others who're more interested in their social groups than anything else. It's good that you're reaching out in a place with people similar to you. Finding solace in being on your own can be difficult, and the best way to avoid being lonely and different is to explore and meet yourself. Usually you met a few friends on the road of self-discovery...

Hopefully you'll find a couple here! :D
-Wave

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2015, 11:13 am

You could look at where you are now as practice for college. You won't have to see the people around you again. It'll will make college easier if you have a couple of people you're cool with. You won't know how to find those people unless you practice.

Take notice of the people who seem interested in what you find interesting and who complain about the same things you don't like. I don't make friends in school easily either. I always find myself making friends with the people who read the assignments, who don't go out partying, and aren't uptight. They may look completely different from me and come from different places, but they have that same tone that I like to be around. I'm sure there's a type of person that you're more comfortable around as well.

magikalmeguca
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Oct 2015, 1:02 am

WaveOfChange wrote:
Welcome to WrongPlanet!

I'm on the college road as well. I understand what you mean when you say you'll have an interest and it'll just fly over everyone else's heads. Tell me if this sounds familiar: You want meaningful conversation, but what's meaningful to you isn't as meaningful to others. I can talk to others, and fluently engage them, but it doesn't feel meaningful to me...

High school is really lonely for those who mature faster than others, being interested in philosophy, the state of the world, and other deep/complex topics (or history in your case) doesn't really click with others who're more interested in their social groups than anything else. It's good that you're reaching out in a place with people similar to you. Finding solace in being on your own can be difficult, and the best way to avoid being lonely and different is to explore and meet yourself. Usually you met a few friends on the road of self-discovery...

Hopefully you'll find a couple here! :D
-Wave

Yea that's pretty much it, in a way it feels like they just aren't as intelligent as me to understand. There's other stuff that I like, I'm into music and anime but I'm really into the more obscure kind so finding other people who share my interests outside of the internet.