Why can't the US obesity crisis just go away?

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2015, 5:21 am

Why can't the US obesity crisis just go away? It's not fair, I figure that somethings going to happen to all the physically attractive women in the world by a few decades.

Why can't America have nice women like non-English speaking countries do? Why are we such a deprived people?

And thanks to globalism, the world will probably suffer as well.

Pretty soon it will be too late and the crisis would've spread too.

Sorry for my rant. :(

SwissPagan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Oct 2015, 5:24 am

Industrialization, and unregulated high-fructose corn syrup food industry.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2015, 6:29 am

Maybe it has something to do with the idea that in foreign countries, more women have to compete with each other for fewer eligible bachelors.

Maybe they are more concerned with both the quality and the quantity of the foods they eat.

Maybe they eat less and exercise more.

Maybe it's just bias confirmation on your part.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2015, 9:26 am

It's not just overeating or lack of exercise-- the foods we eat today are nothing like what humans have eaten in the past, from new foods all the way down to the chemicals used to preserve them. World population growth has been a result of thinning out the nutrients in the food supply to accommodate more mouths, the US is the leader in "fortified" food goods-- foods that have such little caloric value they have to be supplemented with vitamins and minerals.

SwissPagan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Oct 2015, 9:36 am

Aristophanes wrote:
It's not just overeating or lack of exercise-- the foods we eat today are nothing like what humans have eaten in the past, from new foods all the way down to the chemicals used to preserve them. World population growth has been a result of thinning out the nutrients in the food supply to accommodate more mouths, the US is the leader in "fortified" food goods-- foods that have such little caloric value they have to be supplemented with vitamins and minerals.

avoid simple carbohydrates at all costs.

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2015, 9:47 am

Most of it is due to overeating and lack of exercise. In the US today, the major form of exercise is typing on a computer keyboard while you sit on butt all evening playing on social media.

Regardless of what the food is like, if you burn off more calories than you take in, you will not put on weight.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2015, 9:49 am

Yeah....I have to lose about 30 pounds.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2015, 11:29 am

Aristophanes wrote:
You're shopping at the wrong stores.

Find a store where the size of the produce section exceeds the size of the junk food and soda aisles put together, fill your cart with fruits and vegetables, take them home, and eat them. Then go run around the block a few times.

And stay out of the junk food and soda aisles.

To summarize:

1) Eat less.
2) Exercise more.
3) No excuses.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2015, 11:54 am

It's never that easy. There has been a crisis of people addicted to drugs, alcohol, smoking, gambling and cheating for years and years, but no one seems to care about that, in fact if anything people glorify it.
Depression is the so-called "common cold" of mental illness and yet people with it are still all too often ridiculed or even blamed for their illness, along with every other mental illness. It's much more acceptable to be an alcoholic or even a drug addict that it is to have schizophrenia or be overweight.

American society (And I really hate to say it, but Canada isn't all that much different) is incredibly stressful. Everyday life has people experiencing the "fight or flight" response but can't fight or run from the source of stress so it doesn't go away. So they're experiencing all kinds of health problems, including weight gain.

Society sees obese people as being weak and completely at fault for their weight. They think they're hungry all the time but that isn't really true. It's the emotional pleasure people get from food and not the physical need. So what can we do, brainwash ourselves to have no joy or emotion in eating at all and become anorexics who think food is the enemy? Don't think so.

If there's one good thing about my being overweight is that if all the resources are all gone soon like "they" say they'll be, I'll take longer to starve to death. Although starving sounds like one of the worst ways to die, really slow and painful.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2015, 12:12 pm

Which part of "No excuses" is hard to understand?

Burn off more calories than you consume, and you will lose weight.

It's a law of nature, and it works the same for everyone.

Everyone, that is, who doesn't snack between meals, or who doesn't stop moving the moment they start breathing hard, or who doesn't make up phony excuses about why it won't work for them without even trying to lose weight.

Of course, if you're a bed-ridden invalid, then you can't exercise, so this isn't about you.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2015, 1:15 pm

Fnord wrote:

Find a store where the size of the produce section exceeds the size of the junk food and soda aisles put together, fill your cart with fruits and vegetables, take them home, and eat them. Then go run around the block a few times.

To summarize:

1) Eat less.
2) Exercise more.
3) No excuses.

...I grow the majority of my own food and exercise three times a week, but thanks for assuming I'm an unhealthy slob.

That being said if everyone started eating non-processed properly grown fresh food we'd have a lot of hungry people since we couldn't thin the supply to accommodate our current population. Exercise will help burn fat and build muscle but it won't clear out all the growth hormones and non-biological chemicals used in modern food production-- one would need drugs from the health industry to do that. It's a win-win for the capitalism but a major loss for individual health, then again the hierarchy only needs you healthy enough to work, not prosper.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2015, 1:53 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
Fnord wrote:

To summarize:

1) Eat less.
2) Exercise more.
3) No excuses.

...I grow the majority of my own food and exercise three times a week, but thanks for assuming I'm an unhealthy slob.
Actually, I had not assumed that at all.

Aristophanes wrote:
That being said if everyone started eating non-processed properly grown fresh food we'd have a lot of hungry people since we couldn't thin the supply to accommodate our current population. Exercise will help burn fat and build muscle but it won't clear out all the growth hormones and non-biological chemicals used in modern food production-- one would need drugs from the health industry to do that. It's a win-win for the capitalism but a major loss for individual health, then again the hierarchy only needs you healthy enough to work, not prosper.
Actually, intense cardio will go a long way toward detoxing your body of those chemicals you mentioned. It took about 18 months for me to fully "detoxify" to the point where even the smell of a sugary soda would give me nausea (Yay!). Most pre-packaged foods just don't taste right to me now, and I can't remember the last time I ate a steak - raw beef smells like dead cow to me.

I still have coffee or tea, and drink mostly water. I've brewed my own beer, so as to avoid the formaldehyde that commercial brews contain.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2015, 4:05 pm

If people drank water like we are supposed to instead of soda, that would be a big help.

SwissPagan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Oct 2015, 4:40 pm

Nambo wrote:
If people drank water like we are supposed to instead of soda, that would be a big help.

I 2nd this

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2015, 4:40 pm

Nambo wrote:
It works for me!

Even so-called "diet" soda is bad for you!

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2015, 4:49 pm

Fnord wrote:
Nambo wrote:
It works for me!

Even so-called "diet" soda is bad for you!

I read that diet soda is even more fattening than straight cola, seems the chemicals trick your body or something.
As for drinking water, I put a little cider vinegar and a little fruit juice so the combination takes up about a tenth with the other 90% being water, I find it quite delicious and thirst quenching unlike soda which makes you even more thirsty.