Whats the point of chess playing chess?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

DailyPoutine1
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2015, 9:39 pm

I mean, I always get ll my units killed without the possibility to counter-attack.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2015, 9:43 pm

Playing chess is less about winning than in how you win.

Tactically speaking, only six of your pawns are expendable. Any three of your power piece are expendable, as well - even the queen. Never leave your king without an escape route.

Finally, no one ever won at chess by playing a purely defensive or purely offensive game.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2015, 8:20 am

Chess would be better if the pawns could attack and move backwards, and if you could legally do moves that put your king in check.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2015, 8:22 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Chess would be better if the pawns could attack and move backwards, and if you could legally do moves that put your king in check.
it's called "Checkers".

:roll:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2015, 8:32 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
and if you could legally do moves that put your king in check.

That doesn't make any sense to me.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2015, 2:13 am

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2015, 6:22 am

Yeah chess takes alot of practice to learn. I like it alot. Not the greatest at it but can beat most average players a large part of the time.

It's all about planning and being able to adjust that plan. You've got to be able to look ahead a few moves. If you try to do each move as it comes you'll not beat too many people.

I'm an advocate of getting your knights out early (the most powerful pieces outside of the queen). You can control the middle of the board and many players will disrupt their big pieces trying to chase you around the board and leave pawns unprotected. Controlling the middle of the board is key, don't just go right for the king. You've got to thin their numbers first.

I also try to castle my king to one side of the board relatively early. This cant be forced however.