Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2015, 2:55 pm

In statistics I hated averages and all the numbers but was intrigued by the bell graphs etc. I'm for some odd reason finding R more "fun" and "easier" than Python vs. syntax error over and over! Elif this If that While this loop this loop that. vs. R that just brings TRUE TRUE TRUE FALSE TRUE FALSE in two lines of code instead of Elif If or Else statements!

Plus <- is easy to remember vs colon here [ no brackets {(curvy bracket) NO! () around everything! print (blah blah blah) etc.

I hear it's more making graphs side of statistics but I'm curious and may invest in MatLab it's a $150 program and there is plenty of R information online. :-)

Hope I'm not the only one????

klausnrooster
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Oct 2015, 10:23 pm

I tinkered with R some. Bought an R cookbook. What do you want to do with it? Between R and Python with Numpy and similar libraries, oh and IPython Notebook now called Jupiter... You should be able to do lots of stats without spending money. Julia is another to check out. Also Frink. Depends on what your goal is.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2015, 6:01 pm

Whatever you like go with it.

It might be that you like this area of computing an the R is a complement.

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2015, 2:28 am

I've written a lot of R over the last year or so, pushing through Data Science on Coursera. Lots of fun.