Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ScottF
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2015, 7:09 pm

I saw an episode of Girl Meets World the other day where one of the characters was suspected of having Asperger's Syndrome, but I have mixed feelings...On one hand it was cool that it was dealt with but I did not like the way the characters were treating it like he had some rare incurable disease...

WolfClaw99
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Oct 2015, 5:36 pm

I know exactly what you mean, When Lucas was going down the list of traits, Maya kept saying " he can easily fix that". That part really pissed me off.

Simmian7
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2015, 9:12 pm

yeah...that's what it felt like to me. tv still has the typical view of ASD. we're all still Rainman or a leper victim.

It's like someone's calling out to me. Writing it all down...it's like I'm calling back to them.
(quote from August Rush; but used as a reference to my writing)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My ASD AQ score is 42
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
#DemandCartoonDiversity

yelekam
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2015, 3:34 pm

yes I would say that parts of it were unpleasant. Though with the course of the episode it seemed to me that the early reactions were meant to portray how someone who lacks an understanding of Asperger's may respond out of ignorance and fear. And that as it progressed they calmed down an became more understanding.