Sensory Issues with Medical Procedures

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Aimee529
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Oct 2015, 10:30 pm

Anyone have any good stories about medical procedures and sensory issues? I have MAJOR issues with the sensation of being numb!! !! Figured this out when I had to have surgery on my hand recently and they did a nerve block....couldn't control or feel my arm for 24 hours....about went out of my mind!! !! ! When my kids were born the nurses went nuts because I wouldn't let them give me an epidural....couldn't stand the idea of not being able to move/feel my legs!! ! Also, those charts when they ask you to rate your pain in the hospital....I am guessing I am not the only one who looks at those with a blank stare?!?!?

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2015, 11:49 pm

I hate the sensation of my teeth being scraped at the dentist, it is like nails on a chalkboard. I can't stand needles and the sensation of being poked. I dislike being touched in anyway by doctors or most anyone else for that matter. I can't tolerate having anything stuck at the back of my throat. Giving me ativan for an endoscope wont cut it, i have to be knocked out or I will probably punch whoever is trying to force something down my throat as an involuntary reaction.

I have several parts of my skin that are numb from previous surgeries and that does not seem to bother me. Numbness from dental procedures does tend to feel bothersome though.

I also find those questionaires to "rate my pain" difficult to fill out, or amy questionairre with closed ended questions. I feel like anything I write down will just be a bunch of inaccurate information caused by false choice dilemmas.