Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Donkeynomad
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Oct 2015, 4:32 pm

So I questioned something at work and was being roused out and yelled at by management. I don't handle stress at all and this was a very stressful situation. When I was finally allowed a moment to make a statement I opened my mouth ... and a whole lot of gobbledigook came out. I don't even know what I said but it was just random sounds, a bit like I was speaking in tongues. :oops:

I was so embarassed that I didn't even mind that I was sacked on the spot. I really didn't want to work there anyway - but geez, that has never happened to me before, even though my communication skills are so poor.

Ever happened to you? What happens to you when you are stressed?

At least it has made be concentrate more on my own part-time business which I will now make full time so it was a good thing I think. I never want to work for anyone ever again.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2015, 4:40 pm

Wow, that's never happened to me. Sometimes I stumble over words when I'm nervous but never like you described. At least I don't think anyway. The idea that that could happen again is actually pretty scary.

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2015, 4:46 pm

Yeah, I trip over my tongue when I get upset, but nothing that severe has ever happened to me. That is scary.

Donkeynomad
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Oct 2015, 4:46 pm

Yeah, I also stumble a lot over words normally but this was just weird.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2015, 5:01 pm

Happens to me too often, except it never goes full gibberish.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2015, 5:01 pm

Can't say I've ever done that. I stumble over words and mix them up almost all the time but never that bad, usually if I get too stressed I don't speak at all. Can't say I ever want to work for someone either. Hope your own business goes well.

HisShadowX
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Oct 2015, 10:15 am

Congratulations on getting fired. I am hoping they let me go soon in fact our entire call center is hoping we lose our contract so we can get 'laid off'

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2015, 11:07 am

well it seems as though you've taken the situation well. best of luck in your future endeavors!

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2015, 1:44 pm

I shout and swear and cry when I get too stressed out at work. Usually I just cry. I get sarcastic too. It is embarrassing because it makes people think I'm an angry, out of control person who's going to die alone and miserable. I do often find myself explaining that I only feel that stressed when at work and not outside of work. It is rather true, but I don't think many people believe that.

I wish I could work from home. I know it could still be pressuring work but at least you're at home, so you can get a drink or eat something when you want because it's under your terms. Sometimes eating or drinking calms me down. Heck, you can even work whilst in the bath, providing your type of work is doable in the bath of course. Or on the toilet. Or naked. Whichever way you feel comfortable.

HisShadowX
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Oct 2015, 7:21 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I shout and swear and cry when I get too stressed out at work. Usually I just cry. I get sarcastic too. It is embarrassing because it makes people think I'm an angry, out of control person who's going to die alone and miserable. I do often find myself explaining that I only feel that stressed when at work and not outside of work. It is rather true, but I don't think many people believe that.

I wish I could work from home. I know it could still be pressuring work but at least you're at home, so you can get a drink or eat something when you want because it's under your terms. Sometimes eating or drinking calms me down. Heck, you can even work whilst in the bath, providing your type of work is doable in the bath of course. Or on the toilet. Or naked. Whichever way you feel comfortable.

I understand. When I am stressed I tend to run away from a situation hiding out. Because when I am pushed enough I do blow up and I might seem like a push over to people and I am because I know when I do blow up its never good for me or those who made me mad.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2015, 12:21 pm

Donkeynomad wrote:
So I questioned something at work and was being roused out and yelled at by management. I don't handle stress at all and this was a very stressful situation. When I was finally allowed a moment to make a statement I opened my mouth ... and a whole lot of gobbledigook came out. I don't even know what I said but it was just random sounds, a bit like I was speaking in tongues. :oops:

I was so embarassed that I didn't even mind that I was sacked on the spot. I really didn't want to work there anyway - but geez, that has never happened to me before, even though my communication skills are so poor.

Ever happened to you? What happens to you when you are stressed?

At least it has made be concentrate more on my own part-time business which I will now make full time so it was a good thing I think. I never want to work for anyone ever again.

I had the same thing happen to me (only once) about three years ago.

I was at a small indoor flea market when I ran into an ex fellow employee (no problem yet, although I was excited about running into him) and began a conversation. At this point his grownup daughter walked up, and I found myself trying to have two conversations at once........but all that came out was (as you say) "gobbledegook." So damn embarrassing....my friend didn't know how to respond and they disappeared.....my face may still be red!

I'm not sure where the "gobbledegook" came from but it was certainly triggered by the excitement of a "social" overload. I can do without any more of that nonsense...I think I'll somehow practice having two conversations simultaneously.

untilwereturn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Oct 2015, 1:47 pm

I've never quite experienced the "gobbledygook" phenomenon, but on occasion I'll speak words that aren't really connected to my thoughts. Or I'll say one word when I mean another. (For some reason, I consistently mix up lawnmower and vacuum cleaner when speaking.) I'll sometimes babble or struggle for words when I'm nervous.

This mainly happens when I'm tired. Rarely, if I'm nodding off in a meeting I'll imagine myself babbling words that seem to make sense but don't - as if I'm halfway into a dream state. Thankfully, I don't think I've ever actually verbalized my nonsensical thoughts in those situations.

HisShadowX
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Oct 2015, 5:24 pm

untilwereturn wrote:
I've never quite experienced the "gobbledygook" phenomenon, but on occasion I'll speak words that aren't really connected to my thoughts. Or I'll say one word when I mean another. (For some reason, I consistently mix up lawnmower and vacuum cleaner when speaking.) I'll sometimes babble or struggle for words when I'm nervous.

This mainly happens when I'm tired. Rarely, if I'm nodding off in a meeting I'll imagine myself babbling words that seem to make sense but don't - as if I'm halfway into a dream state. Thankfully, I don't think I've ever actually verbalized my nonsensical thoughts in those situations.

I never thought about me shaking my hands in the autistic way even years after I knew about Autism but looking back at habits I still have and what I used to do I used to do the hand flapping but I did not think of it in the way others do.

Sometimes when I get real angry I'll slur my words and what comes out is not always coherent. You never know you might have or are this way but do not think of it in the same way as you would think others would.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2015, 12:37 pm

"You never know you might have or are this way but do not think of it in the same way as you would think others would."

Yep. Popped up from nowhere. I wouldn't have thought that would happen to me. Just shows to go ya!

You said: "Sometimes when I get real angry I'll slur my words and what comes out is not always coherent."

I think that's an accent that comes from living in Chicago. :D

I used to live down the street from Wrigley Field myself. :D

LivingInParentheses
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2015, 7:17 pm

Oh that's frustrating, isnt it, when your mouth doesn't cooperate? I've never had that happen quite like that before but I have some word combos where I reliably say one word when I mean the other, and more often than ever lately my sentences come out jumbled. Can't quite recall the example I just typed in another thread, but it's like I will be thinking "this outfit doesn't work with these boots" and what will come out will be "this shoes doesn't boots", or whatever. I've also had some instances of only having syllables come out instead of words in some places, which makes my sentence nonsensical, and is borderline gobbledegook type speech.

The worst is when I am extremely upset about something, like mindnumbingly upset, like finding out your child is in jail upset, and my words turn into a stutter turns into stammering turns into gobbledegook syllable sentences coming out in jumbled order turns into can't talk anymore.

That's happened 5-6 times in my adult life and feels like a switch flipping inside me. Often at those times it also feels like everything stops inside and my brain stops processing altogether.

I'm glad you have such a good attitude about this and I wish you luck with your self employment.