How do you deal with stress in school?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

redocean
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Oct 2015, 6:42 pm

And how do you prevent meltdowns and dealing with one? It'd be quite interesting to see how other people deal with this.
As it's quite a burden when they occur. Stress is never good obviously, and I am not very good at dealing with stress and all that. :x

Logston
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Oct 2015, 6:56 pm

Strict routine and follow it to a T. Pretty much the only way I can survive school.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2015, 10:30 am

I am not autistic, but I get stressed out by school. My university's disability accessibility options are a joke, and catered to people in wheelchairs. Using ramps or the stairs, I have to walk a long, long way from the disability parking and by the time I get to class I'm shaking. I also dislike most of the other students and have to hide it for politeness. The other students usually aren't paying attention to what we're doing and instead try to kiss up to the professor and each other.

I make sure I take a good, expensive coffee or tea with me to class, and I draw pictures of dinosaurs eating the people I dislike if I'm really stressed out. I know that's childish but that's truly what I do.

I READ all the material. When they're talking about something stupid and stressful in class I change the subject to something else in the material that *I* think is interesting.

Overall, I keep an attitude that no one else matters and I will get up and leave if I'm bothered too much.

I have to do these things and keep this mindset or I wouldn't be able to make myself go.

WAautisticguy
Toucan
Toucan

30 Oct 2015, 12:04 am

Again, just like Logston, strict routine. Tardies are NOT allowed in my world. It makes you look stupid and disgraceful, and it makes you look bad in a real job. I am always on time to every class and don't hang out in the hallways until 5 seconds before the bell rings, like some people do.
I make sure to LISTEN to the teacher, not talk to my classmate next to me.
I read materials and ask for help.
I try to write down assignment due dates in my planner as well.

When it comes to a stressful situation, I try to hide my emotions/exploding. But in the event where I do get really mad, I don't scream and threaten people. Sometimes I leave the class to take a break.
I was very stressed out today at school. One of my teachers told me off for asking just a brief question - and giving a "now I understand" reply - she called it a "horrible thing to say, and don't ever do that again!" ?! !?!?!? ASKING a question is horrible?! This is not the only time I've had problems with this teacher - she also put me in a "time out" last week like a 7-year-old, because I was "stressed out.". She doesn't fully describe homework and test assignments either, which makes me confused, and upset.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2015, 7:57 am

WAautisticguy wrote:
Again, just like Logston, strict routine. Tardies are NOT allowed in my world. It makes you look stupid and disgraceful, and it makes you look bad in a real job. I am always on time to every class and don't hang out in the hallways until 5 seconds before the bell rings, like some people do.
I make sure to LISTEN to the teacher, not talk to my classmate next to me.
I read materials and ask for help.
I try to write down assignment due dates in my planner as well.

When it comes to a stressful situation, I try to hide my emotions/exploding. But in the event where I do get really mad, I don't scream and threaten people. Sometimes I leave the class to take a break.
I was very stressed out today at school. One of my teachers told me off for asking just a brief question - and giving a "now I understand" reply - she called it a "horrible thing to say, and don't ever do that again!" ?! !?!?!? ASKING a question is horrible?! This is not the only time I've had problems with this teacher - she also put me in a "time out" last week like a 7-year-old, because I was "stressed out.". She doesn't fully describe homework and test assignments either, which makes me confused, and upset.

Yes, yes, yes! All of this too! I can't believe that you're 17. This all goes for grad school as well. Except the time out. The worst that will happen for embarrassing or irritating a professor with a question would be that they'd purposefully give you hard work or grade you harder. That's not such a big deal.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2015, 8:31 pm

Add more structure to your life. As mentioned previously establishing a routine is a good way to achieve this. Another point is to make sure you get some exercise, as it can relieve stress quite well, at least in my experience.
Cultivate a more relaxed attitude. Just try not to let the small day-to-day things stress you out so much. This can be easier said than done, but it's possible.