Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Garath
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Oct 2015, 2:37 pm

Hey All, long time "stalker" on WP but don't remember if i¨ve ever posted. Anyway, i'm a messy situation and needed to write it Down to maybe get a bit of clarity on the the Whole mess. I'm suspecting it might be long so to those of you WHO manage to read it all, i appreciate it.
So to start, I've been with my girlfriend for roughly 2,5 years now and we've lived together Little over a year. I met her 3 years ago at a Folk High school (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folk_high_school for those of you not from Scandinavia or Germany). In essence it's a school you attend for usually a 20-or so weeks periode with lots of creative or fun, sporty/outdoorsy classes to allow the students to try their hands at something different than normal school stuff. I had mostly theather classes while i was there, but also some sports and a few political discussion classes. Anyway, you live on the school along these 60-100 other people your age, and there's usually parties every or every other weekend.

Anyway, I went there because i figured with my AS it was the perfect place to force myself to socialize 24/7 and it turned out fairly helpful. Back on track, in the first week there I met a girl WHO i totally hit it off with, or so i thought. We clicked and there was this amazing chemistry, unfortunately for me i came Down quickly with a crush and it turned out she just wanted to be friends(in hindsight I clearly scared her with how strongly i came on, seeing as she had 0 experience with Guys at that point).
That was that for like 2 months until i started having feelings for another female friend i had made at the school and this is the girl WHO's now my girlfriend. My girlfriend and my initial crush(lets call her S) were really good friends but i made nothing of it as i was head-in-the-clouds that i finally, for the first time in my life, had found a girl. I was 24 at the time, she was 20.

However once school ended and we all moved back to our own parts of Denmark, my gf and S lost touch a Little. This was quickly remedied once me and my gf moved in together and in the process moved to the same city as S. S is now basically my Girlfriend's best friend, and this is where the problem arises. I've been seeing waaaay too much of S lately and, maybe because my relationship isn't as solid as it was, somehow the old feelings have come running back. Infact they are stronger now, because I'm really impressed with the maturation S has undergone in the roughly 3 years since i met her. I've been handling these emotions as back as i've been able, but 2 weeks ago S announced to us that she's started seeing a guy, that they are having tons of fun together and that she wants to sleep with him. The 3 of us have a very candid relationship together so it was a lot more graphical than that, but that's not the point. I'm now super jealous of this stupid guy and his perfect bloody face.
Now I know S, and she's loyal to my Girlfriend. So even if i wanted to break up with my girlfriend, which i don't, I still wouldn't stand a chance. Now unfortunately for me my crushes have a tendency to be very long affairs and it's putting a big strain on my mood lately and I honestly don't know how to handle it. MY girlfriend obviously knows i'm upset, but i haven't told her why. In any case she's very worried about me.

Anyone have any advice? I know i should just try to get over these BS emotions for S and focus on my relationship but it¨s a lot easier said than done. You're also welcome to call me a jerk for having feelings for 2 girls at once, i certainly feel like one lately and the guilt is slowly driving a wedge between my girlfriend and I. Should I tell my GF and risk her wrath and the friendship she has with S?

Thanks to those of you WHO managed to get through this wall of text, i appreciate it and any advice you have.
To those of you WHO couldn't here's a TL;DR: I have a crush on my girlfriend's best friend and I have no idea how to handle it.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2015, 5:14 am

getting crushes is perfectly natural, even if you are commited already.

just accept this fact as a fact and stop worrying about it.

LillaA
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Oct 2015, 6:53 am

One thing really stood out to me, and that was that you said you had feelings for 2 girls at once. It's not that your feelings for your GF have left due to your feelings for S, but that you care strongly for both. Have you ever heard about or considered polyamory? Basically it means being in a relationship with more than 1 person at one time. It takes different forms for different people - for some, it means a relationship with set other people to whom they are exclusively committed for the rest of their life (I think this is called "polyfidelity"); for others it means they have one or more main relationships while also having as many side-relationships or "flings" as they'd like; and all manner of other variations. If you feel committed to your GF while also interested in S, it may be a sign that your mind works in a polyamorous way rather than a monogamous way...which may be something for you to consider and determine what to do with, then at some point discuss with your GF to see if she's ever thought about it either. Just because she's never mentioned it doesn't mean she wouldn't be open to it - could be you'd both be happier polyamorous. However, if she is strictly monogamous, then you'd need to be happy remaining monogamous or to end the relationship. Presuming you would want to keep your GF, make it clear to hear that you realized this is something you're open to, but you're still 100% committed to and faithful to her, and would only consider having a commitment to anyone else if she was OK with it too. Myself, I entered into a monogamous relationship without ever even thinking about anything else. But after several discussions, my BF and I have both realized that a long-term committed polyamorous relationship with 3 people instead of 2 would be of interest to both of us. Who knows - you might find through such a discussion that she'd like to date S, too, and then if S wanted to date you two, you could all 3 date each other and everything would be rosy. Chances of that being the case are extremely slim, but I think being honest with yourself about your own views towards relationships - whether that's polyamorous or monogamous - is important for your own self-discovery.

Aside from that, stopping crushes is hard, especially when you're around the person frequently. I never found a good way to stop them, aside from trying to ignore the feelings and carry on with life as well as possible till they subsided. Sometimes finding a new, stronger crush helped - perhaps if you could find a way to strengthen your feelings for your GF it would help distract you from S? But not an instant cure and maybe not a cure at all. Just waiting it out was the most I could ever really do.