Why the race card is ok, but not the "I have autism" card?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Lifeistoohard
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Oct 2015, 11:00 am

People with ASD aren't allowed to have a feeling of discrimination the way Black and Hispanic people do. We're always expected to work and succeed like everyone else. In jobs, in school, in life... Most people don't cut us slack the way they do to minorities.

Example 1:
A black guy can't get a job. People think "Society is racist, it's not your fault."
A guy with Asperger's can't work. People think "You lazy entitled loser using your disability as an excuse."
Example 2:
"Affirmative action is meant to ease the gap between whites and minorities, EVEN IF richer minorities apply to a certain school, they should be given preference over a white student due to past injustices."

But when it comes to autistic people, "What!? Autism is not an excuse. Work harder and stop whining for special treatment since everyone has difficulties."

If I told a black person the same thing that's been told to autistic people, I'd be a "racist". Even though autistic/disabled people faced SEVERE discrimination in the past.

Part of Aktion T4, Nazi Germany murdered thousands of autistic people. And even here in the U.S, Margaret Sanger supported nationwide eugenics for kids with developmental disorders.

Consider the fact that 80% of adults with ASDs don't have a job. And yet, we need to have an almost delusional attitude that we can all become managers or business owners because "look at the 20%. Anything is possible!"

Now if the Black/Hispanic unemployment rate inches up a bit, then they're allowed to protest about their identity as a minority even if it had nothing to do with their personal life.

Double standard much?

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2015, 11:45 am

All of the "right" on your side won't make a difference without "politics."

It's a real shame, but true. The "racial diversity" that was acknowledged
wouldn't have happened without many years of political "gamesmanship."

Unfortunately the same level of gamesmanship has not (can not?) been applied to aid
those with AS. I remember, in the '70s, when administering intelligence
type testing for perspective employees, I was required, by Federal law, to
increase the score of anyone declaring to be Negroid, by 10%. In other
words: "Creating a level playing field."

The only way this was accomplished was by a slow, year-after-year slogging
through the Federal System. It's a long road ahead.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2015, 2:24 pm

IMO, given the superficiality of today's society towards ASD people, it might be a double standard, it might not be.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2015, 1:44 pm

ZenDen wrote:
I remember, in the '70s, when administering intelligence
type testing for perspective employees, I was required, by Federal law, to
increase the score of anyone declaring to be Negroid, by 10%. In other
words: "Creating a level playing field.".

Yep, that's progressive policy for you. :roll:
Assume that all blacks are dumb and poor and all whites are gifted and rich.
To this day they still do that. I have had both white and black liberals that know very little about me inform me in a matter-of-fact way that I grew up rich and have gotten all the breaks.

I don't believe in pulling any "card" for special treatment for the races, gender, or even autism. If there is employment discrimination it's because no one wants to get stuck with someone that's going be a slacker, crook, or trouble maker then pull the race or gender card to intimidate their employer from doing anything about it.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2015, 2:25 pm

Pretty much Blacks get the special treatment in the U.S.
Hispanics and Asians have also been on the receiving end of Affirmative Action and racism.
They regularly don't get the special benefits and others, while being picked over for Blacks in hiring, promotion, and other stuff.

Hispanics and Asians have a huge amount of trouble getting recourse on actual discrimination, since they weren't actively screwed over by society.

Hispanics are a linguistic and culture group that spans many nationalities and ethnicities, which the Hispanics people hate the title Hispanic, which is only used in the U.S.
To be Hispanic you must be from a former Spanish colony, and/or from Spain itself (Spaniards aren't considered white/European, but Hispanic in the U.S.)
Though Hispanics are expected to be hard workers and artistic, though not seen as held back.

Asians are expected to succeed highly, be really smart and good at math.

Though they do have it better than Native Americans, Pacific Islanders, and people from the Middle East.
These 3 groups, especially the former two saw lawful genocide committed on them and their lands taken from them, all while being denied citizenship and culture.

Hell up until the 1980s, the U.S. Government had a education program targeted at Native Americans, where they forcible removed the school age children and sent them to boarding schools to become white cultured people in order to wipe out their culture and language.

The Native Americans only recourse is a long running lawsuit, which is finally in it's final stages.
Funny enough Native Americans are still subject to Congress under the administration via the Dept. of the Interior when governing their lands.

Native Americans are America's greatest threat!

All peoples from the Middle East (and descendants), who aren't from Israel are expected to be terrorists and radical Muslims.

For people with disabilities.... F*** You, you lazy Aß people and/or incapable humans - signed the American people and governments.

Have I been actively discriminated against due to disabilities? HELL YEAH!! I do believe this has happened during the interviewing process for career jobs, hence why I am still in unemployed post graduation
I been receiving it my whole life.

Have I been discriminated against due to my ancestry? Hell yeah!! ! It's not my fault my part Native American ancestry shows it's genetic features on my face making me look "asian" and "middle eastern" as people constantly state.
To what degree it's caused me discrimination, I don't know.

The three special groups in the U.S. are: Blacks, Women and Jews.
These groups reap the benefits from antidiscrimination laws and government actions.

*ß = ss

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2015, 2:50 pm

One thing people seem to have missed. Race is very obvious, mental state is not.

looniverse
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Oct 2015, 3:15 pm

Lifeistoohard wrote:

Example 1:
A black guy can't get a job. People think "Society is racist, it's not your fault."

I don't think that. Do you?

But then I believe in personal responsibility.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2015, 5:26 pm

glebel wrote:
One thing people seem to have missed. Race is very obvious, mental state is not.

That is true, but people with very noticeable physical disabilities are subject to the same treatment as anyone with disabilities.
Most societies are hard on those with disabilities.

Neotenous Nordic
Toucan
Toucan

30 Oct 2015, 6:06 pm

No -card is o.k.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2015, 10:18 pm

xenocity wrote:
Hispanics and Asians have also been on the receiving end of Affirmative Action and racism.
They regularly don't get the special benefits and others, while being picked over for Blacks in hiring, promotion, and other stuff.

Hispanics and Asians have a huge amount of trouble getting recourse on actual discrimination, since they weren't actively screwed over by society.

Hispanics are a linguistic and culture group that spans many nationalities and ethnicities, which the Hispanics people hate the title Hispanic, which is only used in the U.S.
To be Hispanic you must be from a former Spanish colony, and/or from Spain itself (Spaniards aren't considered white/European, but Hispanic in the U.S.)
Though Hispanics are expected to be hard workers and artistic, though not seen as held back.

Though they do have it better than Native Americans, Pacific Islanders, and people from the Middle East.
These 3 groups, especially the former two saw lawful genocide committed on them and their lands taken from them, all while being denied citizenship and culture.

Hell up until the 1980s, the U.S. Government had a education program targeted at Native Americans, where they forcible removed the school age children and sent them to boarding schools to become white cultured people in order to wipe out their culture and language.

The Native Americans only recourse is a long running lawsuit, which is finally in it's final stages.
Funny enough Native Americans are still subject to Congress under the administration via the Dept. of the Interior when governing their lands.

All peoples from the Middle East (and descendants), who aren't from Israel are expected to be terrorists and radical Muslims.

For people with disabilities.... F*** You, you lazy Aß people and/or incapable humans - signed the American people and governments.

Have I been actively discriminated against due to disabilities? HELL YEAH!! I do believe this has happened during the interviewing process for career jobs, hence why I am still in unemployed post graduation

Have I been discriminated against due to my ancestry? Hell yeah!! ! It's not my fault my part Native American ancestry shows it's genetic features on my face making me look "asian" and "middle eastern" as people constantly state.

These groups reap the benefits from antidiscrimination laws and government actions.

*ß = ss

Blacks get special treatment? I'm sure those black Americans who are unable to find work, and who live in generational poverty, not to mention those who live in fear of unequal treatment by the police and the courts, would like to know where their special treatment is.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2015, 7:30 am

The OP is talking peaches and pears.

Blacks dont get SSI for just being Black. Nor can they get handicapped bumper stickers just for being Black.

But handicapped folks of any color, including severe autistics, can get those- or remedies like that.

The problems are different, and the solutions offered by society are different in the two groups.

But on an individual one-on-one level an able bodied adult slacker of either group (black or autistic) would tend to get grief for not being employed from peers. Both would get doo doo.But I agree that a typical Autistic may be entitled to more slack than a typical NT Black in this post jim crow era for being unemployed. But again its really peaches and pears. The reasons for unemployment in the two groups differ.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 9:00 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
xenocity wrote:

*ß = ss

Blacks get special treatment? I'm sure those black Americans who are unable to find work, and who live in generational poverty, not to mention those who live in fear of unequal treatment by the police and the courts, would like to know where their special treatment is.

"........would like to know where their special treatment is."

Well, near the heart of it, there are all the many many FREE "safety" inspections/stops that the average black citizen gets to enjoy, during a meeting with the local constabulary, that the typical white citizen never is gifted with.

And don't forget black people also don't have to work as hard as whites as is shown in Labor Dept. figures showing black "unemployment" (let's call it "vacation time") is twice as high as white unemployment in the United States. This is clearly special treatment.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 10:26 am

One example is that minorities get preferential admission to college -- points added to their admission score if they are a racial minority -- however, I never heard of any college adding points because a person has an ASD.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 11:07 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
xenocity wrote:

*ß = ss

That IS their special treatment... :roll:

gotta post it again...

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 1:46 pm

ZenDen wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
xenocity wrote:

*ß = ss

"........would like to know where their special treatment is."

Well, near the heart of it, there are all the many many FREE "safety" inspections/stops that the average black citizen gets to enjoy, during a meeting with the local constabulary, that the typical white citizen never is gifted with.

And don't forget black people also don't have to work as hard as whites as is shown in Labor Dept. figures showing black "unemployment" (let's call it "vacation time") is twice as high as white unemployment in the United States. This is clearly special treatment.

:lol: :cry:

KagamineLen
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 5:37 pm

Well, transforming the topic of which group has it worse into nothing morr than a competition of collective sorrow is certainly not going to help anybody, and is ridiculously offensive in itself.