If your HFA 13 y/o got invited to this party…

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 10:21 pm

WelcomeToHolland wrote:
In case anyone was wondering... It went really well! I think everyone had a good time overall. Thanks again. :)

Yay! :D

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2015, 2:13 pm

At 13 my HFA son made these decisions for himself. If he went to a party, it was because he wanted to help a friend celebrate, and not because he expected to have a great time. Yes, by 13 he was capable of thinking that way. If he thought the party activities would be too uninteresting for him, he knew he had the choice to decline (and he had no trouble doing so).

I don't think you need to worry about whether or not he feels entertained. The job of a party is to be fun for the birthday child. And while you can hope it also appeals to the guests, they aren't really the point of the party. And at 13, kids usually know that.

Not to mention, kids often LIKE doing things from their earlier childhoods. Fun memories :)

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2015, 2:15 pm

WelcomeToHolland wrote:
In case anyone was wondering... It went really well! I think everyone had a good time overall. Thanks again. :)

Great to hear!

I typed my last post and then realized it was probably too late ... obviously it was! But I'm glad it went great.

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2015, 7:12 pm

WelcomeToHolland wrote:

Awesome! PS believe it or not, sometimes those who are considered by society HFA (I hate that term now), have many issues as they aren't included ANYWHERE... :-( PS my son is like that...

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2015, 7:04 am

Glad he had fun.

For my 18th birthday party, I went swimming with my only friends - a nonverbal LFA 10 year old and his foster mother. I had a great time, even though he got fixated on a fan and mostly ignored me the whole time. We did play with the fan together a bit, but I just did not find it as fascinating as he did.