Would you be upset if a friend cancells plans with you?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

LeaPoufyPony
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Oct 2015, 8:51 pm

My friend invited me to Halloween party the day before and I agreed. The party starts at 10:00 pm tonight. However, This morning I felt light headed and I realized that I couldn't bothered to go anymore . It was also a combination of knowing that I can't drive to the party since its taking place downtown and have to take taxi back home. Not to mention its cold outside

So I sent her a text the first thing in the morning, telling her that I'm sorry I couldn't make it anymore since I'm not feeling well. Then I offered an alternative day for us to hangout. When she got the text, she called me instead but I ignored the phone call because I had a feeling she was to be pushy about it and not taking no for an answer. I just didn't have any interest to go anymore. We normally communicate via texts message. She called again so I decided to turn my phone off. I hope she is not upset :? Was I inconsiderate ?

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 9:05 pm

Is there any chance she was just calling to say that she understood and hoped you would get well soon? Or to check on how you were doing to see if you were okay staying at home or if you needed to go the hospital? Feeling lightheaded might be serious, after all.

Anyways, if a friend cancels because they are sick, I am very understanding.

Canceling because you know you have no way of driving there or transportation? I would want to ask, why didn't you say no in the first place. "Sorry, I would love to come, but I have no way to get there or get home."

Canceling because it's cold out? Personally, I have less patience for that, probably because I grew up in a climate with harsh winters. Unless you're talking about something really uncomfortable like attending a Halloween party that's being held outside in a dark parking lot at night ... I've done that once. Don't want to do it again.

Of course, I don't know you well, or your friend. Maybe this person is clingy? Has a habit of eating up your time and draining your emotional energy? If it's something like that, I can understand wanting to guard your alone time without owing this person any explanation.

If it's a really good friend though, I would keep the communication lines open.

Really, you know the details of the situation and are in a far better position to judge.

Anyways, I hope you feel better and I hope it all works out well.

"It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine." -- REM

LeaPoufyPony

01 Nov 2015, 9:12 pm

Thank you for your reply

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2015, 9:30 am

I don't think she would get upset about you not showing up. This is a time of year when a lot of people begin to get sick. I had a small gathering last night and one of my friends got sick so their mother, who is also my friend just came. I was cool with it.

I doubt that your friend would be mad at you. If she has in the past then you can expect that kind of behavior because it's who she is.