Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2015, 8:40 am

On Monday I start my new position as cleaner of the "outbuildings" at the base. I will be working on my own and using the company vehicle (a 2015 Dodge Van, woohoo :) )
The outbuildings consist of two chapels (Protestant and Catholic,) the post office, the photographers studio, vehicle maintenance, vehicle maintenance training, the conflict resolution offices and the storage building.
I tagged along with my predecessor yesterday and she has done a great job, so the cleaning has been maintained and I just have to take over basically maintaining the facilities.
Also, I won employee of the month for October for taking care of the daycare and helping at the medical centre.
All good, but can I keep it up? I feel like I'm in a rough sea of information and responsibility and can no longer take anything in. All my energy is going to my facade of sanity, which I believe I am successfully maintaining.

Does anybody feel "at sea" when they are at work. Like, "I can barely be here mentally so I'm just going to keep smiling and nodding."?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2015, 11:01 am

Well...my Dear Ann....may I offer my congratulations?

I didn't know you had a drivers license!

There are benefits to "being out to sea"--you don't have to put up with all the crap on land!

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2015, 12:21 pm

That's great! Did things get better for you? I remember you were so upset, glad to see you happier and moving on.

Maybe you can do all kinds of weird things when you are cleaning alone :) Let off some steam, so to speak.

Change is always stressful, but once you get your new routine going, this might be great!

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2015, 5:34 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Well...my Dear Ann....may I offer my congratulations?

Thank you. I appreciate it. I got a raise too.

Quote:
I didn't know you had a drivers license!

Since 1987 :)

Quote:
There are benefits to "being out to sea"--you don't have to put up with all the crap on land!

It is nice to have the freedom to go where I want. And the vehicle is awesome. A 2015 Dodge Journey. I have to go at 30k/hr most of the time because I'm on the base, but I'll take it. I love being back behind the wheel.

underwater wrote:
That's great! Did things get better for you? I remember you were so upset, glad to see you happier and moving on.

Thank you. I am moving on, but likely I will become upset again. I have to keep an even keel because I overreact to things.

Quote:
Maybe you can do all kinds of weird things when you are cleaning alone :) Let off some steam, so to speak.

One is never truly alone. Someone can always appear, so no song and dance. lol

Quote:
Change is always stressful, but once you get your new routine going, this might be great!

I am thinking that too.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2015, 8:08 pm

LOL...just make sure you use that car for business...and only business!! ! :wink:

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2015, 6:37 pm

Well, it didn't work out. The outbuildings are too physically demanding. I'm going back to my old position and the old rate of pay. And I don't get to drive the vehicle anymore. :(
Oh well. I'm lucky to have a job at all.
My inability to succeed at this position is also due to my social inability. The people in the offices, etc. expect chattiness from me. Even when I try I am incapable. I'm already physically tired and I just can't figure out the appropriate banter. Isn't it enough that I clean up after them!