Anyone find ticking clocks or other similar noises annoying?

Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 3:36 am

Yes. Ticking, clicking & beeping.

xile123
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Nov 2015, 3:49 am

yep. the few times ive had to sleep somewhere with a ticking clock i had to get up and take the batteries out.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 4:07 am

everyone's clock but mine it seems. i'd go crazy if i had to fall asleep at home to no ticking.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 5:03 am

The sound that really gets to me is the clicky-clicky noise of phones when people are texting or playing games.
My new hearing aids really seem to amplify this noise for some reason.
I don't actually mind the sound of clocks ticking.
I can't hear them at all without aids, so they're a bit of a novelty.
It'll probably wear off.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 5:10 am

I cannot stand a ticking clock, especially when I'm trying to sleep.

I always remember many years ago, I was a runaway from childrens home and I was sleeping on the sofa of the Aunt of a friend.

It was the Strangeways (prison) riots at the time and where I was staying was in very close proximity to the prison.

Anyway the police helicopter was over the houses and streets all night long because the rioters were on the prison roof. The point is, I could quite happily tolerate the noise of the helicopter whirling round all night long but the ticking of that f*****g clock in that room was enough to drive a saint to swear.

I can still hear it now. Tick tick tick....aaaarrrrgggghhhh! :evil:

So ever since that time, if I have had to stay somewhere and there has been a ticking clock in the room where I have to sleep, I have always asked very politely if it would be ok for me to remove it out of earshot.

I don't know why people just can't by silent tickers or even digital.

In fact why give people the choice?

They should just put a blanket ban on all ticking devices from now on.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 8:03 am

Repetitive sounds drive me NUTS and even cause me to have massive meltdowns sometimes!! !! But for some reason ticking clocks have always been okay for me. I don't know why that is. My husband on the other hand does not like them. But since I have not been able to use my ticking clock for the past 14 years since I have been married, and I have not been around a ticking clock in a very long time, I don't know if I would be sensitive to one now. I might be. It would be interesting to find out.

Wreck It Ralph

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 8:16 am

Cant stand them, the noise can make me feel angry, I take the batteries out of them too, the old wind up bell types seemed to have a continuous noise like tick-ka-tock-ka-tick... :x

LivingInParentheses
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 8:21 am

I have extreme sound sensitivities. My sensory overload issues are entirely sound related to the best of my recollection.

[editing this sentence after posting because the actual wikipedia definition is a bit more broad than the way I understood it, and the way I describe it in the following sentence, so I guess my fireworks reaction is actually applicable as well because it triggers fight/flight.] Misophonia is when certain sounds make you have an instant and illogical/entirely emotional and against-your-ability-to-control-or-modify reaction of pure rage.

I have that with chewing noises and swallowing, slurping, and/or liquid pouring noises, and anything else where you can hear lips smacking.

There are other sounds I hate or have meltdowns from, but I become enraged to a point of absolutely having to remove myself from the room when it comes to food sounds.

Clocks ticking can become a large annoyance but don't cause rage for me. Fireworks cause complete meltdown complete with screaming obscenities and sobbing after awhile, but not rage. Barking dogs tend towards enragement but nothing is as bad as eating/chewing/slurping/mouth sounds.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 8:59 am

I don't mind a ticking clock that much; it's actually quite soothing to me.

The sounds I do hate are traffic noises, particularly motorbikes. When a really loud motorbikes comes past my building, even with my windows closed it's loud enough to drown out my TV, and I find that deeply annoying. Loud vehicle motors are my most hated sound.

I don't mind repetitive noises from anything except humans. When a person is talking and happens to repeat the same word or a phrase, to be cute or artful, something about that drives me NUTS.

Birds and other animals repeating a call or sound, I have no problem with and could listen to that all day.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 11:39 am

It's interesting how organic sounds are different for me. Birdinflight you mentioned birds chirping. I find organic sounds like birds and crickets and tree frogs very soothing even if they are repetitive. But what I think of as inorganic sounds like the boom boom on someone's stereo, even if it's not loud, or the generator of the business near my house, it's not a smooth sound but more broken, these sounds are intolerable to me and cause me much grief and many meltdowns. In fact, in my city you can call 911 if someone is playing music to loud and they will send an officer to have the person turn it down. Just to show you, the 911 dispatchers all know me. In fact I called yesterday and the dispatcher picked up the phone and asked, "Skibum, is that you?" I said, "Yeah." He was glad to help me if he could. I really appreciate that. :D

Wreck It Ralph

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 11:46 am

Yes, organic sounds are very restful to me, including birds, but people's stereos get very upsetting for me also.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 5:46 pm

i miss having to wake up early enough to hear the crows. that was a blessing.

BirdInFlight wrote:
The sounds I do hate are traffic noises, particularly motorbikes. When a really loud motorbikes comes past my building, even with my windows closed it's loud enough to drown out my TV, and I find that deeply annoying. Loud vehicle motors are my most hated sound.

this, plus electronic buzzing.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

GodzillaWoman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 7:00 pm

dianthus wrote:
GodzillaWoman wrote:
The clock finally suffered a mysterious, brutal end when *someone* stomped on it several times.

LOL

When I lived in a college dorm, it drove me crazy hearing alarm clocks going off in nearby rooms. I was amazed how many people apparently could just sleep through an alarm, when it was loud enough to hear several rooms away. I will wake up at the least little noise.

The weird thing is, we used to live up the block from a hospital and a quarter mile from a fire station. I could sleep through sirens and emergency helicopters fine. But there was a bird that lived next to the hospital that made a repetitive cheep-cheep-cheep, cheep-cheep-cheep, three-note thing, and he could wake me up every time. Little b%stard.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 7:19 pm

I have one quartz wall clock in the kitchen and another in the adjoining computer room. If I am standing in the doorway between the two rooms, I can here alternating tick/tocks. Sometimes, it annoys me. Sometimes, it helps me keep timing.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 8:19 pm

GodzillaWoman wrote:
The weird thing is, we used to live up the block from a hospital and a quarter mile from a fire station. I could sleep through sirens and emergency helicopters fine. But there was a bird that lived next to the hospital that made a repetitive cheep-cheep-cheep, cheep-cheep-cheep, three-note thing, and he could wake me up every time. Little b%stard.

I wonder if I sleep through louder noises and don't even realize it. I just know very small sounds will wake me up.

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 8:28 pm

The fan in my bathroom annoys me. Sometimes small noises like clocks annoy me to the point of me outbursting.

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider