I'm newly diagnosed with Aspergers. Hi.

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Dreamsea
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Nov 2015, 6:10 am

After 5 years of seeing my psychologist I was finally diagnosed about a week ago after being assessed for 2 days. I will be 31 on November 3. Aspergers is no longer in the DSM so I was diagnosed as having mild autism which would have been Aspergers in the old DSM.

I'm also a Black woman. Growing up in a society where I'm expected to be gregarious, aggressive, loud, extroverted, highly sexual (my sex drive is low), and not into intellectual hobbies (science, reading, etc.) has been interesting and sometimes frustrating. Any other Black women on here with this? White males tend to get his diagnosis. I also have a brother that's also on the spectrum but has never been diagnosed.

Hi, to everyone though. I mostly lurk, but reading others experiences has been therapeutic for me . Since recieving my diagnosis I know longer feel so disappointed and disgusted with myself. I've been trying for years to act and appear "normal" to no avail. Now, I am finally accepting myself and realizing that I'm not an awful person.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 5:16 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 6:17 pm

Hey Dreamsea welcome. :sunny:

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 6:24 pm

hi, dreamsea. welcome. please share more about what you like to read and do.

Ren2015
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Nov 2015, 12:07 am

Hi - I am new to this sight but already know I will find it therapeutic as well. I am 47 and although I am not diagnosed, I'm pretty certain I am on the Spectrum as well. I'm glad you found some relief with your diagnosis and are more accepting of yourself. You don't need to fit into any stereotype - just enjoy being you!!

Dreamsea
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Nov 2015, 8:44 am

Thank you, everyone.

Cathylynn, I like reading psych books/self help, astronomy, autobiographies, child development books, and medical books. I have a one year old and no longer have much time for myself. I play video games when I can---legend of Zelda, harvest moon, rune factory, and similar games.

I'm a nurse and I struggle with the social aspect. I improved by mimicking people. The social aspect is so stressful to me that I can only work part time. I chose nursing because I've always enjoyed medical stuff so my dad suggested it. As a child I spent my summers sitting in the basement reading my dad's medical and child development books. I've never bonded well with others, but I managed to meet my husband on a dating website. I wonder how do other's with Aspergers meet their spouses? My husband is the first and only person I've ever been with. I enjoy his companionship and he is completely accepting of me.

Dreamsea
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Nov 2015, 9:00 am

Knowing what I know now I would have never chose nursing. I purposely work nights so that I have less stimuli and less people, but the night shift is brutal on my body. My ideal job would be medical billing/coding. Medical stuff without too much social stuff. A pharmacologist seems nice too but it requires too much schooling and isn't in high demand. I'd like a medical job that doesn't require a lot of people skills.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2015, 11:07 pm

i'm in nursing school, having flushed out of the medical profession by being horrible at hospital politics. the first job after that, i was a part-time social worker for seven years. i'm not only an aspie, but also an introvert. a medical job i had that worked pretty well for me was three 12-hour shifts per week, each separated by a day. i'm hoping to duplicate that schedule. i want to be a psych nurse. i, too, have read many self-help books, even went to charm school and took dale carnegie.

i think i have learned tact. if i'm not sure about speaking up, i run the situation past my husband. i picked up small talk after age 50. i think these days i can pass for neurotypical.

could you get into quality assurance? and be the nurse that checks over charts? probably competitive to get into, but maybe something to set your sights on.

i envy that you have a child. i would love to be a mom. i was a summer mom for my ex-fiance's daughter when she was 5, 6, and 7. it was a joy. when i broke up with him because he hit me more than once, he never let me see her again. i was too old to have kids when i finally paired with a suitable partner

anyway, a special welcome to a fellow medical person.

WoW_Wow
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Nov 2015, 1:14 pm

Hi! I didn't realize there were such a wiode diversity of Aspies on a forum like this. I'm a more typical Aspie, since I'm a heterosexual white male who's shy, nerdy, bookwormish, etc. I'm obsessed with WoW. Are you oibsessed with things besides reading?

Dreamsea
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Nov 2015, 4:43 am

cathylynn wrote:
i'm in nursing school, having flushed out of the medical profession by being horrible at hospital politics. the first job after that, i was a part-time social worker for seven years. i'm not only an aspie, but also an introvert. a medical job i had that worked pretty well for me was three 12-hour shifts per week, each separated by a day. i'm hoping to duplicate that schedule. i want to be a psych nurse. i, too, have read many self-help books, even went to charm school and took dale carnegie.

I wish you much success in psyche nursing and nursing school. How was it dealing with co workers and patients? Are you prone to be bullied or bossed around? Did others pick up on you awkwardness or wonder why you didn't work more often?

Cathylynn wrote:
i think i have learned tact. if i'm not sure about speaking up, i run the situation past my husband. i picked up small talk after age 50. i think these days i can pass for neurotypical.

could you get into quality assurance? and be the nurse that checks over charts? probably competitive to get into, but maybe something to set your sights on.

I do plan on trying to do something else when my baby gets a little older.

I'm so sorry to hear about the abuse you endured. You were smart for leaving. Have you considered adoption?

Dreamsea
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Nov 2015, 4:46 am

WoW_Wow wrote:
Hi! I didn't realize there were such a wiode diversity of Aspies on a forum like this. I'm a more typical Aspie, since I'm a heterosexual white male who's shy, nerdy, bookwormish, etc. I'm obsessed with WoW. Are you oibsessed with things besides reading?

I'm a legend of zelda fan. I also collect dolls and enjoy writing. I have a 1 year old so don't have a lot of time for myself.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2015, 10:35 am

You like Zelda and Rune Factory?! Hooray! My favourite is RF4 for the 3DS. I like writing a lot too.
Welcome, welcome! :D Nice to meet you. :D I'm kind of known around here as the optimistic, sunshiny bookworm girl.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2015, 12:02 am

Dreamsea wrote:
cathylynn wrote:

I wish you much success in psyche nursing and nursing school. How was it dealing with co workers and patients? Are you prone to be bullied or bossed around? Did others pick up on you awkwardness or wonder why you didn't work more often?

Cathylynn wrote:

I do plan on trying to do something else when my baby gets a little older.

I'm so sorry to hear about the abuse you endured. You were smart for leaving. Have you considered adoption?

co-workers were more likely to talk about me behind my back rather than overt bullying. i was never well-liked. one of my bosses told me my underlings complained about me. he checked out the complaints and found them baseless, but said i must be doing something wrong or i wouldn't have inspired ire. three twelve-hour shifts was the norm where i worked, so that was not a problem. do they try to get you to pick up more hours than you want?

we've thought about fostering. maybe we will when my husband retires next year.

Dreamsea
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Nov 2015, 11:35 am

Kuraudo777 wrote:
You like Zelda and Rune Factory?! Hooray! My favourite is RF4 for the 3DS. I like writing a lot too.
Welcome, welcome! :D Nice to meet you. :D I'm kind of known around here as the optimistic, sunshiny bookworm girl.

Hi. My all time favorite game is Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I also enjoyed Skyward Sword. My 1 year old baby keeps me busy but I occasionally get the chance to play Story of Seasons on the 3ds. It's similar to Harvest Moon. I used to be a big Sims fan until Sims 3.

Dreamsea
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Nov 2015, 11:47 am

Cathylynn wrote:

co-workers were more likely to talk about me behind my back rather than overt bullying. i was never well-liked. one of my bosses told me my underlings complained about me. he checked out the complaints and found them baseless, but said i must be doing something wrong or i wouldn't have inspired ire. three twelve-hour shifts was the norm where i worked, so that was not a problem. do they try to get you to pick up more hours than you want?

we've thought about fostering. maybe we will when my husband retires next year.

That sucks when your boss doesn't side with you. I get talked about behind my back and sometimes to me face. People sometimes disguise them as "jokes" I think. I have a hard distinguishing if someone is actually trying to be mean or just joking. Like you, I think I'm tactful. I try very hard to be.

In the past I felt pressure from some of my co workers to work more, especially while I was single and still living with my parents. I do 3-4 eight hour shifts a week, but am starting a new job soon only doing 2-3 eight hour shifts a week. I'll be working evenings.

It takes a special person to do psych nursing. Are you taking your psych rotations and classes now?