People say the most infuriating things- I'm just annoyed

Page 1 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 3:11 pm

Wait... what?

I can't even... what? That's less infuriating for me to read than just straight-up confusing. It's like saying that playing Super Mario Brothers will make you want to go jump on turtles and dive into pipes. The logic doesn't follow unless you were unable to differentiate between what you were reading and your own reality.

Yeah, some people can buy into stuff about themselves that isn't true, but that's more like horoscopes; which are specifically designed to do that. I'm sure you're wise enough to tell the difference between what's actually useful information and what's someone trying to pull a fast one on you.

You know yourself, you want to know more. That makes perfect sense and seems like a good idea to me.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 3:13 pm

I just thought of something else interesting about this conversation which to me makes no sense. Now I could be dead wrong about this because I am not really very familiar with that disorder where people find symptoms from researching and put them on to themselves and believe they have them for no other reason than having researched them. I know those people exist but I am not really familiar with how that works.

So here is the interesting part. I can see how this person might have thought of me as a hypochondriac because they have known me all my life and in different times of my life they have heard and seem me complain of Autistic and Misophonic issues. Of course I had no idea what was going on with me at the time and these were strange symptoms that this person had never seen before so of course their first thought would be "hypochondriac" or "attention seeker" or whatever. But as I got older and realized no one was going to listen to me or help me, I stopped asking for help and just kind of learned to cope on my own and basically became a closet Aspie/Misophonic. Now it's not like I am bombarding this person with new info about Autism every five minutes. But like I said in a previous post, I am much more open now about what I go through. But I don't spend my time complaining about my issues. In fact, I have really held back from this person recently until last night.

Now again, I could be wrong, but from what I might imagine, someone who just wants to add symptoms to themselves, in my thought process, would seem to me that they would want to do it for a reason. I can't imagine someone doing that and not announcing it to everyone every time they got a new symptom. I can't logically understand the point of adding symptoms to yourself and doing it in secret. Maybe some people do that, I don't know. I just don't understand what the point of that would be. So for this person to say that I would do that makes no logical sense.

So I was just thinking about that because to me I don't see the logic in it. Maybe one of you can see it and help me understand if I am wrong.

Wreck It Ralph

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 3:14 pm

AJisHere wrote:
You know yourself, you want to know more. That makes perfect sense and seems like a good idea to me.

Precisely 8) (re: my post)

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 3:16 pm

LabPet wrote:
I read your post......Oooo, that reply is nauseating and so misguided. Sorry you have to put up with that. There's no way out, but distance yourself from that nonsense. I've fell into the pit of futility by attempting to explain, explain, explain....to no avail.

Courteously excuse yourself, just tell them you're not interested in their input (see quote below).*

To share a relatively recent experience where I got burned: I've been working beyond super hard (x10) and experiencing a hardship beyond my control. Yes, I'll be ok, & I'm maintaining a positive outlook and all, but this transition is undoubtedly tough. (Re: Finding my position - I'm a scientist). Confided in one who just didn't get it. I got loaded-up with misguided 'advice' (which I don't need/want) and even, "once you let go of your negative mindset you'll manifest your dreams." "You really have to focus" and, “you need clarity.” Demeaning and insulting. Gag.

*“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.” – Roosevelt
Thank you LabPet. And thank you for sharing your experience. Sorry you had to go through such ridiculousness. And awesome Roosevelt quote. Thank you so much for that. I love it.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 3:19 pm

AJisHere wrote:
Wait... what?

I can't even... what? That's less infuriating for me to read than just straight-up confusing. It's like saying that playing Super Mario Brothers will make you want to go jump on turtles and dive into pipes.

I just about pee'd my pants, I laughed so hard at your analogy!! !

Quote:
The logic doesn't follow unless you were unable to differentiate between what you were reading and your own reality.

Yeah, some people can buy into stuff about themselves that isn't true, but that's more like horoscopes; which are specifically designed to do that. I'm sure you're wise enough to tell the difference between what's actually useful information and what's someone trying to pull a fast one on you.

Thank you, you are so right.

Wreck It Ralph

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 3:36 pm

skibum wrote:
AJisHere wrote:
Wait... what?

I can't even... what? That's less infuriating for me to read than just straight-up confusing. It's like saying that playing Super Mario Brothers will make you want to go jump on turtles and dive into pipes.

Quote:
The logic doesn't follow unless you were unable to differentiate between what you were reading and your own reality.

Always happy to brighten someone's day!

As for your other posts; I imagine this person means well. They are worried for you, and just don't understand why what you're doing is beneficial rather than harmful.

It's easy to take these things personally (especially for us) but they rarely are.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 3:41 pm

I agree with the person about doing the best I can living instead of researching autism more and more to find traits that match myself. I didn't find there was something wrong or infuriating about the email from the description.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 3:46 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
I agree with the person about doing the best I can living instead of researching autism more and more to find traits that match myself. I didn't find there was something wrong or infuriating about the email from the description.

They're not mutually exclusive, though. Understanding yourself better can even provide more information so you can improve your life.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 3:55 pm

AJisHere wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:

They're not mutually exclusive, though. Understanding yourself better can even provide more information so you can improve your life.

I think research into autism helps most at beginning, when someone is just diagnosed or suspected of having autism. There is context for some of a person's traits and aspects of their lives past and present. But once one knows some things and understands oneself better in autism context, then I think it is best to move on and live one's life with this better understanding and see what happens, if perhaps one improves some aspects of life for self. Continuing to research autism and doing autism-related things is fine too, but the person in the email has a point about moving on too.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 4:03 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
I think research into autism helps most at beginning, when someone is just diagnosed or suspected of having autism. There is context for some of a person's traits and aspects of their lives past and present. But once one knows some things and understands oneself better in autism context, then I think it is best to move on and live one's life with this better understanding and see what happens, if perhaps one improves some aspects of life for self. Continuing to research autism and doing autism-related things is fine too, but the person in the email has a point about moving on too.

Ok, that's fair. Can't say I fully agree but I see where you're coming from.

New information isn't really bad, I think. I'm probably going to be doing more research myself; there's a lot of stuff I could understand better. I want "solutions" which requires an in-depth understanding of the "problem", as I see it.

If someone got lost in this sort of research it would be unhealthy. I don't think that's likely, here but it's probably the concern of the person skibum is talking about.

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 4:08 pm

btbnnyr wrote:

So it seems we all agree that research can help the newly-diagnosed to understand their issues better, and move on with their lives in a more productive direction.

The irony is there is no argument here, just pointless antagonism with no basis in logic.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 4:21 pm

I think an autistic person could ackshuly get lost easily into one thing like researching autism obsessively to find more and more traits that they think fit them, whether the traits fit or not. Autistic brain can have this tendency, I think.

The way to take these kinds of emails or suggestions from family and friends that don't match what one thinks in one's own mind is perhaps best with open mind. I have learned over time that even if close people say things that I initially think are ridiculous, they may have important points that would ackshuly help me, if I didn't reject their ideas right away. Close people usually care enough to tell truths that others don't, so if they care enough to suggest something to me that I might not take well, I should listen a bit and not reject right away.

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 4:28 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
I think an autistic person could ackshuly get lost easily into one thing like researching autism obsessively to find more and more traits that they think fit them, whether the traits fit or not. Autistic brain can have this tendency, I think.

The way to take these kinds of emails or suggestions from family and friends that don't match what one thinks in one's own mind is perhaps best with open mind. I have learned over time that even if close people say things that I initially think are ridiculous, they may have important points that would ackshuly help me, if I didn't reject their ideas right away. Close people usually care enough to tell truths that others don't, so if they care enough to suggest something to me that I might not take well, I should listen a bit and not reject right away.

Again, I think we all agree on this. Essentially it's warning the OP not to do something... that she's not doing.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 4:41 pm

btbnnyr,
I agree with you in general. There is no argument about the point you make. It's just that in this particular situation the person is completely out of line. I am neither lost nor obsessed in Autism research. I am newly diagnosed, and this whole conversation with this person started because last night we found some articles about a new discovery in Autism. As I read those articles they explained things in my particular life which I have struggled with since I was a tiny kid and have struggled with consistently without ever having been given an explanation or a reason for. This was the person's response to one article presented with one specific topic. I don't spend tons of time researching Autism because I don't have tons of time for that and Autism is not my special interest. But I just got diagnosed this past year. I feel like I should learn something about it and understand what happens to me as it is happening and has happened all my life.

This person is the type of person that never hears anything you actually say. They just respond like this because they are responding to things that they feel in themselves, not hearing what was said. I had another relative respond similarly when I told them about the article. I told that person because that person is a medical doctor and would be interested in at as medical research. Rather than acknowledging that it was a fascinating piece of medical research, the person told me how I should feel about the sports I do and how if this is the case with me I should just be content to be in the sports and not try to become competitive.

I agree with everything you say about living life and not getting bogged down with research and being open to advice. But if the advice is being given by people who are not even listening to what you are saying, then sometimes it's just inappropriate advice. I have a very full life and I do many things. I have many responsibilities and I always have. I don't sit around researching Autism all day. I have only even been on WP a lot in the past few days because I had a bit of a break and I thought to come hang out awhile but after today you won't see me for a while because I am very busy and traveling and I won't have internet anyway. But when I do have some time I really enjoy learning as much as I can about Autism. It's a huge part of who I am, I want to learn all I can learn.

So yes, I agree with what you are saying in general, it's just that in this particular case, that particular advice from that particular person in this specific situation is just wrong, condescending and infuriating. And when you are diagnosed as an "older" adult, you are already living your life. But when you are finding out answers to issues that have plagued you since childhood and still do every day, why would you not find out more about them and share them with the people in your life whom you love?

Wreck It Ralph

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 4:50 pm

btbnnyr wrote:

I agree with you.
After being diagnosed I also had the obsession of researching traits, but it took me away from other areas in my life which used to be important to me, like from a special interest which has nothing to do with PC and now I was "clustered" to the PC to do research about autistic traits.
I read 800 pages about autism in the days from december 27th to december 31st 2012.
It were also books, not only PC.
Then I realized that I obsessed about traits and if I do fit them, but with "no meaning" in the sense that it would not contribute anymore, but I lost view on other aspects of life.
If I would study Psychology or Neuroscience it would contribute, but I don't.
And then I stopped.
Not that I lost interest in the subject of autism, but I do not research anymore for traits if I fit them or not.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 4:55 pm

AJisHere wrote:
skibum wrote:
AJisHere wrote:
Wait... what?

Quote:

Always happy to brighten someone's day!

As for your other posts; I imagine this person means well. They are worried for you, and just don't understand why what you're doing is beneficial rather than harmful.

It's easy to take these things personally (especially for us) but they rarely are.
Oh yeah, I know they mean well. There is no question there. This person loves me more than life and I do them, we are very closely related. I have no question that the intent was great. I just thought the way it played out was infuriating. This is typical about how conversations go with this person because they are really not very good at hearing anything you are actually saying but they have worlds of advice to make sure you get from them. It just gets really annoying. I think my op was more of a vent than anything. But I do appreciate the posts from League Girl and Btbnnyr very much because what they say is very valid and good. But this specific event was just super annoying even though the person had nothing but love behind it. And I got some great laughs from this thread so I feel much better.

Wreck It Ralph