Page 3 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2020, 1:17 pm

Oh the age of consent is 16 where I live, but I was asking more from a psychological and moral perspective.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2020, 1:57 pm

ironpony wrote:
Oh the age of consent is 16 where I live, but I was asking more from a psychological and moral perspective.

You are going to get mixed opinions about it. People might find it cringy for a 6 year age gap for a young adult and a minor while others will be fine with it because 17 can consent.

My Spanish teacher was 21 when he married but his wife was 17 at the time and 15 years later, they were still together. My teacher's nephew was 22 when he married and his wife was 16 at the time, they were married for 9 years before they divorced and they had an adopted daughter together.

Also culture comes into play. In Montana it was very normal for 20 something year old adults to date teens and it was normalized. In other areas people would look at it as sick and see the adult as a predator.

People might be fine with a five year age gap between a young adult and a teen but not be fine with a 24 year old dating a 17 year old but be fine with a 22 year old doing it. It's all about maturity but when a middle aged man is dating a young adult, people will not be okay with it and see it as predatory. But if a 60 something year old was dating a 30 something year old, people may be fine with it because the 30 something year old has had enough life experience as an adult vs a 21 year old who is just starting out in the real world.

My husband was 32 and I was 21 when we met online and I wouldn't care what people think. He didn't have money and he came from a poor family and he was disabled so it's not like he was looking for a victim he could control and use money as a weapon. I don't mean he was empty pocketed, he wasn't wealthy is what I mean. He worked.

Reason why people don't like older adults dating young adults and teens is because the young adult is vulnerable and easily taken advantage of and manipulated by older guys who want control. So it's all about being concerned when they judge the relationship. The young adult does not have enough life experience yet so people find it predatory for older adults to date young adults because they think the man is only dating that woman because he can control her and gaslight her easily and use money to control her so she would have a reason to stay and not leave because this man gives her nice things and gives her a nice place to live and he doesn't let her work when she can stay home because he makes enough to support them both. This is part of control so the woman becomes dependent.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2020, 3:30 pm

Oh yeah for sure that makes sense. In the case of an autistic person who may be far less mature than a younger person who is not autistic, should the law perhaps take maturity in consideration as well as age, or should the law be age only, with no regards for maturity, or whether the older person is autistic or not?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2020, 3:35 pm

ironpony wrote:
Oh yeah for sure that makes sense. In the case of an autistic person who may be far less mature than a younger person who is not autistic, should the law perhaps take maturity in consideration as well as age, or should the law be age only, with no regards for maturity, or whether the older person is autistic or not?

I will never excuse predatory behavior regardless of disability. Unless the person is at an consent age, different story but if they are going after 12 year olds or after 7 years olds, or even toddlers, we've got a problem. To hell with maturity level. I don't care if a 21 year old has the maturity of a ten year old but if they mess with a ten year old, I am not okay with it.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2020, 3:52 pm

Oh yes for sure, I didn' mean that young. I meant more like in the situation I was in, where it's more of a 16 and up age gap, but when it comes to mental maturity.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2020, 6:03 pm

Some confusion here. It's possible to have an ID and have a seperate comorbodity.

Pedophilia is mental disorder like having a personality disorder. Anyone can have pedophilia, from people with ID to geniuses such as Arthur C.Clarke or celebrities like Michael Jackson.

There is no perception out there that having autism makes you more likely to be creepy around children.

Whale_Tuune
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2020, 8:12 am

Robison defended pedophiles? Link?

Ugh... "they just don't know any better, they can't help being pedophiles"... yuck.

As for the "preferring younger partners" thing, it also depends on ages. Like if someone who's 25 dates a 20 yr old, it may get some raised eyebrows, but it's basically private business between two consenting adults.

Compared to an adult targeting a pre-pubescent or pubescent child, which is a crime. (And just disgusting.)

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2020, 4:03 pm

Whale_Tuune wrote:
Compared to an adult targeting a pre-pubescent or pubescent child, which is a crime. (And just disgusting.)

Moral is up to the people. In several islamic countries nine year old girls count as being adult and old enough to marry. In opposite to that they may kill gays there. And now? Kill them all because of their different moral?

Whale_Tuune
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2020, 7:10 pm

Ugh.

This is the rotten fruit of severe cultural relativism.

Nine year olds cannot consent to sex. Their bodies cannot usually handle the physical strain of childbirth or pregnancy. Certain mainstream Islamic hadiths suggest that Aisha was nine to twelve, and if they're true, that's sick as well.

Not all Muslims agree with those hadiths though. Even if they do, many people feel social pressure to agree with damaging cultural practices.

Killing people flies in the face of nonviolence and human rights. I do not recommend killing anyone over corrupt cultural practices.

I don't know how much more obvious "do not have sex with children" has to be. Yikes.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2020, 8:54 pm

It always fascinates me how people who oppose cultural relativism in the middle east over the treatment of women, children and gays had no problem with doing business with murderous regimes across the globe in the name of anti-communism.

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2020, 2:26 am

Whale_Tuune wrote:
Killing people flies in the face of nonviolence and human rights. I do not recommend killing anyone over corrupt cultural practices.

Cultural practices and sexual behaviour and most common preferences of people are often related. Become aware that women are OK with their culture there and proud on it as well. They raise the children and teach them how to be. There aren't only men in any culture. There is also a selective pressure on humans to match their culture. The women there are different and show much earlier a more adult behaviour despite of just this. Humans aren't the same. In the end it's also arrogance of you to judge others for the way they are.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2020, 8:08 am

I'm not saying I know either way in this situation, but I'm not one to prejudge it either way. When most the world says "creep", I'll be the dissenting voice and say "maybe not". When most the world says "most likely not" I could just as easily bring up examples of "maybe so". In this case it seems the bias is that he's a creep (the arrest), so I'll provide examples of the possibility that he's not. (Like I said, I have examples of the contrary but it seems folks have that well in mind.)

Ummm, I always had kids in my apartment in my 20s, always. I didn't think anything of it. In college, I had the 8-year-old who hung out with me. We'd play Taboo. Whatever. In my first employment I had the 9 and 10-year olds who'd come over and we'd play. It's a good thing I am female I guess. My NT husband explained to me later that it always made him nervous and he would leave our front door open or be sure to not be around b/c he didn't want to get in trouble. Oh. I hadn't thought of that. Why would he get in trouble? Why would I get in trouble? Although come to think of it there was one time a girl said her mom was really angry (scared?), so I walked over to her house and explained myself. Probably the girl was prohibited from coming over anyways and I didn't understand why and thought "their loss". I was willing to give the kids attention and intellectual challenges - that girl needed that. I didn't understand that it was a "risk" for them. I'm an honest, kind (naïve) person. But if I were a man that probably wouldn't have worked, eh? Come to think of it my ASD-like mom got a male babysitter for us (her two daughters). What NT mother would have done that? He was the best babysitter ever! My favorite by far. I'm a parent now and would want to meet the person (and have "armed" my children with caution). I would not outright call the cops unless the guy looked REALLY shifty - which I realize is subjective and apparently he met the that threshold for this other parent, but my threshold is higher since I am the "weirdo" myself. There is a difference between benign and malicious weirdoness. Since the parent couldn't discern that and the cops couldn't discern that, I hope the court can correctly discern that.

I didn't read the articles, and would be interested to know what the children's perceptions were - unless they've already been indoctrinated with stranger danger to the 100th degree. Oh, BTW - I didn't have stranger danger as a child either. It goes both ways: I was naïve with strangers and I am the naïve stranger.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2020, 8:24 am

I have not found any follow-up reports on this case -- nothing after he was released from jail.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Whale_Tuune
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2020, 9:11 am

cyberdad wrote:
It always fascinates me how people who oppose cultural relativism in the middle east over the treatment of women, children and gays had no problem with doing business with murderous regimes across the globe in the name of anti-communism.

I oppose neo-colonialism if that's what you mean. American interventionism only makes things worse.

That still does not mean I approve of child marriage.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2020, 9:23 am

Whale_Tuune wrote:
Ugh.

This is the rotten fruit of severe cultural relativism.

Nine year olds cannot consent to sex. Their bodies cannot usually handle the physical strain of childbirth or pregnancy. Certain mainstream Islamic hadiths suggest that Aisha was nine to twelve, and if they're true, that's sick as well.

Not all Muslims agree with those hadiths though. Even if they do, many people feel social pressure to agree with damaging cultural practices.

I don't know how much more obvious "do not have sex with children" has to be. Yikes.

Suppose we’re steering off topic here, with nothing to do with western peados, but passed over slums of Cairo on a day trip many years back, our guide said these girls down there get married off for economic reasons.

Basically there’s no gov safety net or real jobs out there and the families have lots of children that they are unable to feed after a certain age.

By marrying them off they attempt to strengthen their own situation by creating a mini community of family members that they can use to source food, money and look after them as they age.

There is a prehistoric mindset here of reproduction for greater protection.

Of course the obvious solution is birth control and protecting minors from marriage but I would suspect the same mentality existed thousands of years ago.

- George Bernie Shaw

Whale_Tuune
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2020, 10:30 am

Again, I'm not promoting interventionism, but child marriage is not ideal. Certainly not consummation of such marriages in one's childhood.

It wasn't uncommon in some historical societies to be married/engaged young for pragmatic reasons, but hold off on consummation until at least late adolescence. We understood long ago that childbirth in very young girls is dangerous.