Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2007, 7:14 pm

I am not sure how I would go about doing this for the best sound quality without pro equipment etc. Used to have a minidisc recorder which was pretty damn efficient with a boundary mic, but how would I transfer to the pc? Or is there some kind of mp3 device that can perform this function?

alex
Developer
Developer

09 Apr 2007, 7:16 pm

mp3 is a compression format and has nothing to do with recording.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2007, 7:21 pm

ok

JakeG
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2007, 8:32 pm

I would buy the best microphone you can afford (even if that is only a couple of pounds) and plug it straight into your soundcard. There is plenty of free recording/mixing/editing software out there that you can use; my favourite is audacity.

Even with a £5 microphone from Maplins and a generic soundcard, you should still be able to get fairly decent results.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2007, 9:12 pm

you'll need two things:

a mic (duh :P) and a program like Audacity, freeware :)
Windows has built-in a very basic sound recorder (Start menu > Accesories > entertainment), but Audacity has many options

geek
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2007, 1:19 am

Graelwyn wrote:
Used to have a minidisc recorder which was pretty damn efficient with a boundary mic, but how would I transfer to the pc?

Assuming the minidiscs were in normal CD format, you should be able to read those, copy, edit, or compress them easily enough. As for new ones, the audacity suggestion was a good one for editing, and there are any number of programs you can do the recording with -- as long as you don't get the levels so far off as to give you a noise problem, or make your mike distort, you should be able to get it just as you want afterwards.

Feel free to message me if you need any help.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2007, 8:38 am

Graelwyn wrote:
I am not sure how I would go about doing this for the best sound quality without pro equipment etc. Used to have a minidisc recorder which was pretty damn efficient with a boundary mic, but how would I transfer to the pc? Or is there some kind of mp3 device that can perform this function?
As per previous suggestions, if you are recording near the PC. Except, I'd recommend a headset, even if the mike is not that good. A free-standing mike will be likely to pick up the PC noise.

If you want to have something portable (not a laptop, either), then you'll need to investigate line in/line out connections (or maybe DIN connections). I used to use a really ancient cassette recorder, with straight jack to jack connections to the PC sound card.

In particular, the last time I was doing this, I was transferring sheet music, by hand, to PC with Noteworthy, then recording that to cassette for a choir. I actually disconnected the cassette's microphone, because it interfered with what I was doing.

Getting it all to work... guesswork on my part. HTH.

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2007, 9:03 am

They make voice recorders now that hook up via usb as a universal storage device. Be sure to use the highest quality setting though, since those things sacrifice a lot of quality to higher capacity.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2007, 10:22 am

Very true ahayes. II hadn't noticed that nobody had mentioned them.
See: USB Voice Recorder from Morgan Computers
£15 + VAT + p/p will get you an Olympus VN120 PC Voice Recorder:
Digital Recording Time: 65 min - SP (Standard Play), 121 min - LP (Long Play), 43 min - HQ (High Quality)

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2007, 7:28 pm

Lau wrote:
Digital Recording Time: 65 min - SP (Standard Play), 121 min - LP (Long Play), 43 min - HQ (High Quality)

Thanks for that, sounds interesting. Will look into it. Wonder if Maplins will do a similar device...

lau
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2007, 8:11 pm

Graelwyn wrote:
Lau wrote:

Thanks for that, sounds interesting. Will look into it. Wonder if Maplins will do a similar device...

They do one for £70, which must include VAT, I think, or they'd be violating the rules. It records for longer (4hrs high quality). I guess if you have a local Maplins, P&P is nothing.

The one I gave above is cheap, by comparison, because Morgan sell these "last year's model" things. I've bought several things from them. They're reliable. They've been around a LONG while. You can buy even cheaper elsewhere.

Kcihtred2
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Apr 2007, 11:32 am

simple, get a sound recorder program, get the minidisk player, plug the minidisk player headphone jack in with a 2.5 mm jack to 2.5 mm jack and plug the other end into your pc's microphone jack! it works i have done it! (ps the TI 83 cable may work just will have to try it!)

lau
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2007, 12:57 pm

Sorry, Kcihtred2, but how does having a minidisk player help with recording voice?

Kcihtred2
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Apr 2007, 10:55 am

simple, its a storage medium! you record it onto the minidisk, or another device say a tape and do what i said. My friend does that

lau
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2007, 12:49 pm

Lau wrote:
Sorry, Kcihtred2, but how does having a minidisk player help with recording voice?