Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2015, 10:45 pm

I just read this and yikes, I thought I'd share here and maybe some of you might want to comment. The first comment was enough for me to scream.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/re ... hese-cases

yelekam
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2015, 11:51 pm

Lets see where to start. Well for one the initial article is full of falsehoods. Dr. Monsour's description of the so called key traits of autism are mostly incorrect stereotypes. Those who are autistic can have empathy, recognize the views of others, care about others, and have great self-awareness. It fails to recognize that people who differ from the norm can differ in different ways. A pacifist and a serial killer both differ from the norms of violence, but they aren't the same.

Diagnostic list
1.Self-centeredness; inappropriate to developmental level and cultural expectations
2.Poor self-awareness, poor ability to develop remorse or learn from mistakes
3.Poor empathy or appreciation of others feelings
4.Poor ability to reciprocate emotions.
5.Hostile dependency on safe relations.
6.Failure to develop emotional relationships appropriate to developmental level and social norms
7.Treating people as objects or preferring objects over them
Funny, this kind of sounds like it could be construed as a list of traits for a psychologist. I guess that must mean psychologists are both narcissistic and autistic. In case it isn't clear, I am mocking this preposterous description put forward.
Then there is using an outdated theory of mind theory. Which a number of scientists and thinkers have pointed out as inaccurate or false. If any group has a problem recognizing tat others can think differently wouldn't it be the group hat is so much more socially conformist?
Then there is the follow up. To reinforce the claims, the writer gives two examples for response comments. Cause you know everything you read on the internet is true, especially when someone is talking about someone else (sarcasm).
Well that's about it

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2015, 9:29 am

id say more narcicism,social issues seem voluntary and not severe enough for aspergers

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2015, 9:51 am

I say if someone is toxic enough for it to hurt you, I wouldn't even identify them as an aspie.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.