Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Ellykeeling
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Nov 2015, 10:08 am

I'm a 37 year old female with Asperger's. Mild symptoms on the whole but one thing I really struggle with is artificial light. As I work in a hospital, this obviously proves to be problematic at times (ie making small talk in the canteen under fluorescent lighting tends to make my brain go haywire). I have just been informed about Irlen lenses and how they can really help people with ASDs. Anyone have any experience of these? I would be really keen to hear some reviews. Thanks.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2015, 11:51 am

I started wearing KD's Original Biker Shades before I ever heard of Irlen lenses. They probably don't work for Irlen syndrome, but they sure help me with florescent lights and such. They are only like $10 a pair and you can get them on Ebay or Amazon. They come in a bunch of different colors, blue, turquoise, green, purple, orange, yellow etc. Or if you want better looking frames you can have an eyeglasses shop make you tented lenses. I think with the Irlen lenses you have to be tested to see exactly what you need and the whole package is probably costly.

QuiversWhiskers
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2015, 1:55 pm

I had a pair of prescription glasses tinted dark red by the eye glass place who filled the prescription. It is is very, very expensive to get prescription lenses tinted by Irlen. I think the red is too dark but they do help especially in Walmart I use them sometimes because the light in there is so blue and white.

NowhereWoman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Nov 2015, 2:23 pm

OMG! My MIL sells a knockoff on these. However, she says schools generally use them for LDs specific to reading, such as dyslexia.

She tried them on my moderate ASD son (including the "full assessment" beforehand) and for him they didn't make a difference.

Just my experience, they may work for the next person. Schools do actually use these.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2015, 3:21 am

Even though hard evidence is lacking, emperical evidence states that these (and their cheap knockoffs) can indeed work wonders.

I have 3 sets myself (knockoffs), 2 for driving (one shaded for daytime, one lighter for nighttime; curse those blue headlights) and one 'medium' set which i keep on my person at all times.
I prefer to not use them, as i fear getting reliant on them (for the same reason, i don't wear my earplugs, take medicine or wear constricting shirts normally), but when i do put them on: instant sweet relief