Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

PixieXW
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Nov 2015, 1:13 pm

Hey, I'm having a very confusing and anxious time at the moment, on what should be one of the happiest days of my life.
For those of you who haven't heard my story- probably all of you- I began dating my best friend just over a year ago. She also has aspergers. My mum believes that I am getting confused and that what I am considering to be a relationship is actually what she likes to call an obsession.
To cut this story short, yesterday I felt the spontaneous need to propose to her, I was desperate to do it and did so last night. originally she said no but around lunch time today she changed her mind. I was thrilled, even though I have no ring, my parents don't know and it was so spontaneous.
Unfortunately when I began telling friends, my two oldest friends, who I have had since I was little have both had a negative reaction. Both have said they don't think we are doing this for the right reasons, or that we even know what we are getting into.
That was enough, my anxiety set in and I'm so scared. I'm petrified of my mum finding out, she would be so angry or just laugh at us. I'm scared of how my mum feels about our relationship on a good day but I am becoming paranoid, paranoid that one of my old friends will tell my mum, or that the news will get to my mum.
I'm starting to doubt my decision because of the anxiety and now I just feel hopeless and scared. I need some advice on what to do, how I can persuade my friends and how I can persuade myself.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2015, 2:55 pm

Well how has the relationship been going are the two of you intimate with each other? And are you at the point where you guys don't really have secrets from each other? And have you and her talked of plans to remain together long term. And any idea why your mom thinks its an obsession, or why your friends say its for the wrong reasons?

For one it would be best to stop worrying so much about what your mom will think, I realize that can be very difficult...but that is certainly an important step. I mean if your girlfriend gets the feeling you're ashamed or not willing to be committed to her even in the face of criticism that could be problematic. Or if you feel your mom would try and interfere well you might have to try and set some boundaries with your mom.

Also what is your living situation?