Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2015, 8:18 am

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/featuredtask.html

I was surprised that I actually tested neutral... However, every mistake I made was biased against blacks.

When I took the test a second time, I had a moderate preference for whites.

When I took the test a third time, I had a strong preference for whites... Hmm.

Nebogipfel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2015, 9:23 am

Nice survey.

But, I have issues with being forced to accept false or doubtful premises in order to answer a question correctly. I particularly had an issue with the question about blacks in the entertainment industry. This isn't the 1950s. Studio's will cast whoever they think will sell their movie.

Last edited by Nebogipfel on 06 Nov 2015, 9:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2015, 9:48 am

Nebogipfel wrote:
Nice survey.

But, I have issues with being forced to accept false or doubtful premises in order to answer a question correctly. I particularly had an issue with the question about blacks in the entertainment industry. This isn't the 1950s. Studio's will cast whoever they think will sell their movie.

Umm, that's not part of the racial implicit bias test...

try this...........
https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/Study?tid=-1

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2015, 9:51 am

It was stated that I had a "weak" preference for whites because of the "speed" in which I answered certain questions.

From my subjective standpoint, I like some "minorities" better than some whites, some white better than some "minorities."

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2015, 10:02 am

^^^ Well, this is supposed to measure unconscious biases, so...

Nebogipfel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2015, 10:12 am

Slight preference for white people.

I doubt it, though. I have strong preferences for certain cultural standards, but absolutely no preference for one race over another in the aggregate. I generally agree with promoting the racial melting pot to the extent that it prevents racist nationalism or racism generally.

However, in certain parts of LA, or Africa, say, I would have a definite preference for white people over black people, for safety reasons. No doubt, the inverse would be true in other places. In certain contexts; when race may crudely indicate the presence of cultural attitudes that are dangerous to us, our subconscious racial biases might help keep us alive.

I wonder if in our quest to purge ourselves of racial biases, there is also a danger of eliminating some legitimate aspects of threat assessment.

Last edited by Nebogipfel on 06 Nov 2015, 1:56 pm, edited 10 times in total.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2015, 11:06 am

Aren't non-racist views dumb?

Common sense would tell you that black people are better athletes than Asians.
A little fact-checking would show you that Asians dominate in academics over the other races.
A little fact-checking would tell you to be very wary when entering a black city.
A little fact-checking would tell you Whites are on average the tallest of the races.

Yet, somehow racism is wrong ? You have to deny reality and pretend everyone is equal?

Neotenous Nordic
Toucan
Toucan

06 Nov 2015, 11:42 am

Hmm... I wonder what thinktank hatched this sort of thing...

Too many disclaimers and "by clicking this you agree to such and such" going for it too.

Nebogipfel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2015, 11:45 am

LoveNotHate wrote:

A little fact-checking would show you that Asians dominate in academics over the other races.
A little fact-checking would tell you to be very wary when entering a black city.
A little fact-checking would tell you Whites are on average the tallest of the races.

Yet, somehow racism is wrong ? You have to deny reality and pretend everyone is equal?

It's true that different races seem to have statistical strengths and weaknesses in certain areas. Sometimes, this might be down to racial predisposition to do well. In areas like medicine, race is a perfectly innocuous and necessary aspect to the discussion.

But, I think the reason that we should more generally shy away from talking about the relative strengths and weaknesses of different races, is because this kind of talk can very easily slide into the sorts of discussions that lead to racial supremacy and eugenics. It doesn't matter if some of this information is true. If the lay public is discussing race in this way, it's unlikely to be a harbinger of anything very good.

Last edited by Nebogipfel on 06 Nov 2015, 1:38 pm, edited 20 times in total.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

06 Nov 2015, 11:48 am

i think i win, i got automatic weak preference for african americans over whites :roll:

i imagine if i did it again i'd get something completely different, you really benefit on the back end when you get the controls better. Felt like they were to do some screwed up word association brain washing.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2015, 12:49 pm

Neotenous Nordic wrote:

Too many disclaimers and "by clicking this you agree to such and such" going for it too.

it was hatched by the Harvard School of Sociology, and all those disclaimers are really disclosures... They are ethically required to tell you about the experiment/study so that you can give informed consent to participate...

paranoid much? :P

http://www.projectimplicit.net/about.html

Last edited by GoonSquad on 06 Nov 2015, 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2015, 12:55 pm

Jacoby wrote:
i think i win, i got automatic weak preference for african americans over whites :roll:

i imagine if i did it again i'd get something completely different, you really benefit on the back end when you get the controls better. Felt like they were to do some screwed up word association brain washing.

Yes. One of the metrics is speed, so getting used to the controls will change the score--look at mine.

Also, this isn't brainwashing, but it does try to pick up on "implicit associations" between certain terms and specific images.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2015, 1:07 pm

Nebogipfel wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:

It's true that different races seem to have statistical strengths and weaknesses in certain areas. Sometimes, this might be down to racial predisposition to do well. In areas like medicine, race is a perfectly innocuous and necessary aspect to the discussion.

But, I think the reason that we should more generally shy away from talking about the relative strengths and weaknesses of different races, is because this kind of talk can very easily slide into the sorts of discussions that lead to millions being enslaved, sterilized, and herded into ovens in the 20th century. It doesn't matter if some of this information is true. If the lay public is discussing race in this way, it's unlikely to be a harbinger of anything very good.

Yes.

Also, there are huge variations within the races.

And, as many point out in other threads, we all deserve to be judged as individuals, on our own merits.

PS

Let's not forget that a lot of those 'facts' are social constructs and not rooted in biology.

Neotenous Nordic
Toucan
Toucan

06 Nov 2015, 3:20 pm

GoonSquad wrote:
Neotenous Nordic wrote:

it was hatched by the Harvard School of Sociology, and all those disclaimers are really disclosures... They are ethically required to tell you about the experiment/study so that you can give informed consent to participate...

paranoid much? :P

http://www.projectimplicit.net/about.html

No, but my confirmation bias was proven to be a healthy thing, once again, as I did a little investigation.

Maybe a little bias is not always so bad.

And maye those who make it their business to see racist motives in everything perhaps have an unhealthy obsession with race and should take their own test.

The rest of us get along across races just fine. All this think-tank race BS does is make people uptight around each other because they have to go through complex mental processes just to do some basic interaction with people of other races. Perhaps the autism forums is not the best place to promote such mind-junk and autistic people are better off just simplifying social interaction as much as possible because we already have enough mental gymnastics to deal with already.

I think Morgan Freeman has the best solution:

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2015, 3:55 pm

I don't think racial bias is fixed it varies just like fear varies. Especially if you are talking about explicit bias.

MonsterCrack
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2015, 10:11 pm

I'm white and i got moderate preference for european americans....