New York Times

CBS

Jeremy Mardis

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2015, 12:21 pm

Quote:
The coroner in Avoyelles parish says he was initially told by a crash scene investigator that city marshals were pursuing the driver because of an outstanding warrant, but Louisiana state police say they cannot find any warrant for Few, reports CBS News' David Begnaud.

According to the Marksville Police Department, Few led four law enforcement officers on a short pursuit Tuesday night and stopped on a dead-end road.

"The initial statement to my investigators was that the vehicle was backing up, they feared for their lives and they started firing," said Col. Michael Edmonson, head of the Louisiana State Police, which is leading the investigation.

CBS News has learned that the law enforcement officers fired as many as 18 rounds at the SUV.

"There were a lot of shots fired that night and they were coming in one direction. There's nothing for us that indicates that any fire came from that SUV," Edmonson said. "There was no weapon found in that SUV."

Jeremy was hit by five bullets in the head and chest, killing him. His father was injured in the shooting and is hospitalized in critical condition.

So far it looks pretty weak on the part of the cops.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2015, 7:46 pm

I'm sure they had a good reason to shoot at a car with a kid inside.
Maybe there was no 'autistic kid on board' sticker on it.
Jesus, US cops are trigger happy, it's scary.

Basso53
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2015, 9:13 pm

The two cops have been arrested and charged.

You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2015, 9:21 pm

Quote:
The initial statement to my investigators was that the vehicle was backing up, they feared for their lives and they started firing," said Col. Michael Edmonson, head of the Louisiana State Police, which is leading the investigation.

So terrifying.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2015, 8:57 am

"Disturbing" video key to arrests in deadly La. shooting

Quote:
Investigators said both father and son were shot by Marksville police officers Norris Greenhouse Jr. and Derrick Stafford. They are being held without bail.
"That video was incredible," Edmonson said. "I mean, as a father, much less head of the state police, I looked at that tape, I said this is incredibly disturbing."
CBS News has learned it was a third officer who recorded the shooting with a body camera after he responded to a call for backup. According to a source, that officer told investigators Few was not acting in a threatening manner toward police.

Initially there was a report that Few had a warrant out for his arrest. It turns out there was no warrant. He had no gun in the vehicle
Edmonson said initially the two officers claimed that Few tried to reverse his vehicle and ram it into one of their police cars.

The damage on the police car that was reportedly hit appears minor.
A source told CBS News that the two officers arrested fired a total of 18 shots at both father and son.
Law enforcement confirmed to CBS News they are probing whether one of the officers arrested has a personal grudge against Few and may have sought revenge with gunfire.

AutumnOwl
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Nov 2015, 10:40 am

I'm glad that the cops were charged. There are too many cases where cops kill innocent people and get paid leave and that's all that happens to them. Cops are out of control

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2015, 6:44 pm

...I rather assumed that he would be black ! :P :twisted:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2015, 3:17 am

That boy was their only child. I can't imagine what they're going through.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2015, 4:18 pm

One report on this is at the BBC http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34769178

To my mind it looks like murder, I think that the charges against the policemen are not right. It should be first degree murder, also I think that their sentances should be enhanced (made longer) by virtue of the fact that they were policemen.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2015, 7:07 pm

It's too easy for violent, power-hungry f**ktards to become cops in America. Once they're there, violence and a hard-on for power are encouraged. It's not OK.

I note, sadly, that no one wants to try to trot out the race card on this one.

Because, unless those ole boys are awfully tanned (which they may be), this one might be a case of black-on-white violence.

Oh, dear...

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2015, 10:32 pm

It's pretty iffy whether they were actually LEO. They had been deputized to be a bailiff (called marshals in louisiana) according to news sites, but the municipality they had worked under had shut the program down. Either way, they were both off duty when this happened.

The dad had supposedly had a dispute with either them, or someone in law enforcement who worked with them. When they tried to pull him over, he fled in his vehicle. It was also mentioned that he was driving home from a bar when this happened. I would have pulled over, but all the same, none of this warranted gunfire and the shooters are already on record lying about some of the events (the direction of the car backing up, the pretense of serving a warrant)

WAautisticguy
Toucan
Toucan

12 Nov 2015, 8:03 pm

I don't care WHAT the reason. Nor do I care about "if he was black...". This is absolutely disgusting. I hope those devil officers get a few decades in prison, if not life. They killed a little 1st grade autistic boy who did NOTHING wrong... :evil:
RIP Jeremy. God's taking good care of you now. Rest easy my friend. :heart:
It's scary when you don't which police officer is going to shake your hand, or which one will shoot you for pretty much no reason.