Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

boosterjones
Toucan
Toucan

26 Aug 2010, 7:48 am

I like all kinds of retro comics, I mostly read ones that date from the 1930's to the 1960's, although I do somtimes strech my 'reading range' to include comics from later eras.

Some of my fave writers and artests are as follows....

(Please forgive the use of pen names, but most as people know them better by those names I thus used them)

Jack Kirby

Stan Lee

Frank Hampson

Frank Belomy

Herge

Alex Raymond

Those are but a few of my fave comic book creators, also I quite a big fan of newspaper strips!! !

Goodbye Till Next Time

arecibo_
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Aug 2010, 8:35 am

When I was a youngster (well, a younger youngster) I wanted to be Spiderman. I would take out books from the library about him and watch the cartoons constantly. But apart from that and the occasional read of Tintin and Asterix, I never read too many comics because my parents weren't very approving of it.

Recently however a friend gave me a copy of X-Men and that started me off - I started reading Scott Pilgrim, Watchmen and Kick-Ass because of my interest in the movies and am just starting to get more into it - I intend to get some Spiderman ones too to relive my childhood obsession and eventually work my way into more styles, writers, etc. :D It's just a shame they're so damn expensive...

My favourite webcomic is Dr McNinja. http://drmcninja.com/

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 9:28 am

I tend to follow authors more than specific books...I read a lot of Warren Ellis, Grant Morrison, Alan Moore, and Garth Ennis. And some Brian Azzarello, too.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Wedge
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 9:46 am

My favourites are: "Y: The last man", "DMZ", "The Book of Genesis by R. Crumb", "The Darkness", "Witchblade".

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 12:27 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS0r3VNdV_k&feature=related[/youtube]

The anecdote makes it sound like Alan Moore may be an aspie.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 1:27 pm

skafather84 wrote:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS0r3VNdV_k&feature=related[/youtube]

The anecdote makes it sound like Alan Moore may be an aspie.

*headdesk* For once in my life, I just want to read a thread that does not end in speculating whether or not someone has Asperger's.

Also, why are we resurrecting threads from five years ago?

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 1:56 pm

Delirium wrote:
*headdesk* For once in my life, I just want to read a thread that does not end in speculating whether or not someone has Asperger's.

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 3:27 pm

skafather84 wrote:
Delirium wrote:

Sorry, it's just my personal Berserk Button.

Back on topic, Rex Mundi, Sandman, American Virgin and Preacher are awesome.

RedHanrahan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2010, 4:14 am

I grew up with budget reprints of fifties horror and crime stuff that was pre comics code.
Then Starlord, Tornado and 2000AD, Pat Mills, Alan Moore, Grant Morrison et al.
Crisis, Revolver and Deadline [which launched Tank Girl].
V for Vendetta, Watchmen,
Jamie Delanp's 'Hellblazer' [Pandemonium is worth reading]
Neil Gaimans 'Sandman' and the reworked Batman of Moore and Miller.

Ted Mckeever's 'Plastic Forks' is a masterpiece.
But my favourite storyls by writer/artists would be the Los Bros Hernandez 'Love and Rockets' ones.
'Palomar' is a masterwork and the 'Locas' story lines were like hanging out with my friends through the eighties
Ant Sang's 'Dharma Punks' is excellent and he went on to design and storyboard 'Bro' Town.
http://www.antsang.co.nz/dharma.htm

I collected comics for a long time and admire the art form, peace j

What vision is left? And is anyone asking?

Have a great day!