Looking for an escape from this lonely world

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

ZeroAm
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Nov 2015, 10:50 am

Hello,

New to the forums here. Looking to hopefully make some friends or just find people that I can relate to & talk with. The world outside of here has become incredibly lonely for myself.

My name is Nyki but prefer the nickname Zero. I am 32 and was diagnosed as having Asperger's about 10 years ago. Ever since I was really young I have always known I was different than everyone else around my age. It really became clear when I hit adulthood.

I recently left a warehouse job that I had for a little over a year. I used the excuse that the 55 mile, one way, drive as the reason for leaving. Honestly, it was only a slight part of the reason. I just didn't feel as if I belonged at all. And even felt as if certain people could "sense" there was something different about me, and treated me accordingly. Though, there were a small handful of people that treated me really well but the number of them vs the others were just not enough.

I will be returning to a job with a company that I have worked for before for about 8 years. While, I never had a problem feeling like I didn't in some way belong the fear is still there. It makes for a very lonely world. And makes it hard to push on especially when it already seems as if everything else around is falling apart.

Aside from all that, I am also a Photographer for my own company. And I attend school full-time studying Sound Engineering & Film Composition.

Didn't mean to ramble just wanted to say Hi & introduce myself a bit. I hope to engage in some great conversations here & make some friends, hopefully.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2015, 11:01 am

There are a small number of people at my job (besides me, I mean) that I am fairly sure are autistic. I keep my distance from them. Why? Because they don't meet me halfway, in fact worse than that, I have gotten in trouble with my manager for being "rude" based on my routine interactions with them. In other words, I can't afford to have much to do with these folks.

My point is not that I'm a creep or something, my point is it's your responsibility to reach out and build connections, not mine to do it on your behalf.

I expect forum people to jump all over me on this, but this is an important viewpoint difference that I think a lot of WP folks should think about. "I have no friends - the world is an unfeeling place" vs. "I have no friends, I guess I better work on my social skills and reach out to others more than I have been doing."

ZeroAm
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Nov 2015, 11:11 am

I agree with what you said BeaArthur.

I didn't mean to come across as "I have no friends - woe is me". More, it's why I am joining this forum. To do exactly that, interact with more people, therefore, working on my social skills. So, I do go further on the outside world.

superstar
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Nov 2015, 12:23 pm

Hi ZeroAM, Just wanted to say hi. I didn't read your post as "woe is me" in anyway. Photographer, self-employed, two jobs and full time student. That's impressive. You sound like a creative interesting person. Good luck in your new job.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2015, 2:21 pm

Well, superstar makes a good point, too. You have a lot going for you. Maybe you have a little too much going on - are you allowing yourself time for recreation? I sense your best bet for (real-world) friends is with fellow creatives, people who tend to have an open mind about others.

ZeroAm
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Nov 2015, 3:06 pm

I do have a lot going on but do make time to get out and try to have fun away from work and school. But nothing really ever comes of it.

Take today, it's my day off and I went around but everyone is busy. I live in a small town where there really isn't much to do. Unless, you like bars which I don't. I guess more of the issue is where to insert myself into, to be able to interact with others. With the other issue of pushing myself to interact more.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2015, 3:41 pm

You may have to plan ahead.

I love going to concerts, I'm fortunate that I have a spouse who also likes going, but failing that, you can perhaps explore tastes in common with friends, neighbors, co-workers, then plan ahead to go and even buy tickets in advance. (You're more likely to follow through if you have some money invested.)

Anyway, no matter where you live, you can still get out sometimes. It's a matter of making it a priority.

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2015, 6:24 pm

Hey ZeroAm welcome. :sunny:

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Nov 2015, 11:10 pm

Welcome to WP, ZeroAm! Hope you will find good friendships and fellowship here. We all have our stories to share and can learn from them.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2015, 6:39 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

Speedy Alvin
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Nov 2015, 10:06 am

HI I'm new to. Diagnosed in March and in July. Can't say I have problems that you have at my job but I wish you the best of luck :)

CorrinneMcMahon
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Nov 2015, 11:14 am

Welcome! I can totally relate to feeling lonely too. Wishing you the best :heart:

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2015, 11:18 am

Heya! Welcome to this wonderful forum! :D I'm the residential sunshine girl! :sunny: :flower:
I've been lonely for a fair amount of my life, so I know how that feels.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Anachron
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Nov 2015, 11:31 am

Hello Zero.

Welcome.

I think you will find more than a few people here who understand what you are talking about.
You may even get really addicted to Wrong Planet for a few weeks, this is normal.

I like synthesizers and deep thoughts on the nature of existence.

My name is Anachron.

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2015, 11:27 am

Welcome ZeroAm, to wrongplanet hopefully, you'll find much to your looking from the many different forums to the multitude of wp members all over the place..