Why do people think TV and movies these days are acceptable?

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

MonsterCrack
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 1 Jul 2015
Age: 20
Posts: 735
Location: John's Creek, Georgia

10 Nov 2015, 6:08 pm

That's why I don't watch television OR movies, with some exceptions... like Spongebob, and some appropriate movies.... plus, as a Muslim, I can't be watching that stuff 1) because it's immoral and 2) because it has music in it



Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 40,563
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

10 Nov 2015, 11:15 pm

MonsterCrack wrote:
That's why I don't watch television OR movies, with some exceptions... like Spongebob, and some appropriate movies.... plus, as a Muslim, I can't be watching that stuff 1) because it's immoral and 2) because it has music in it


There's a problem with music :?:


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


Kiprobalhato
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 25 Mar 2014
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Posts: 27,850
Location: en cendres avec ma chère marcia

11 Nov 2015, 2:58 am

islam and music is complex :?


_________________
❄join my discord pls❄

Mais c'est la mort qui t'a assassinée, Marcia,
C'est la mort qui t'a consumée, Marcia,
C'est le cancer que tu as pris sous ton bras,
Maintenant, tu es en cendres, cendres...


Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 40,563
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

11 Nov 2015, 3:04 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
islam and music is complex :?


How so?


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


AspE
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Dec 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,299

11 Nov 2015, 10:40 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
AspE wrote:
Have you read the Bible? Nothing on modern TV could be as crude or violent as that. Anyway TV was regulated because it's public and administrated by the government. Movies and cable are private, and it's no one's business what they can include as content.


Then again the bible is kind of lacking when it comes to really describing the crude bits and violence in detail...I think some movies and t.v do a better job at actually depicting such things than the bible does.

If you say that, I'm not sure you've read the thing...



MonsterCrack
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 1 Jul 2015
Age: 20
Posts: 735
Location: John's Creek, Georgia

11 Nov 2015, 4:27 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:
islam and music is complex :?


How so?
this may help..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW24bmjjVgc



goofygoobers
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jul 2012
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Posts: 664
Location: America

11 Nov 2015, 4:48 pm

Like what others have said, all you can do is avoid watching what you don't like. I personally don't like shows/cartoons that are vulgar for the sake of being vulgar (I guess shock value would be a better term) like Robot Chicken and Family Guy. I don't watch a lot of the new sitcoms, Disney Channel shows and movies, etc because I don't like them. Sure, I wish they didn't really exist, but that's infringing on other people's interests and the creators' creative freedom. That would be unfair to them.

Also, the US already has censors in a way. We have different ratings on shows and movies depending on what content is in it. It's up to the viewer to decide whether it's worth watching or not.



Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Jul 2015
Gender: Female
Posts: 16,535
Location: United States

11 Nov 2015, 5:39 pm

I really don't like tv these days either. What really bothers me is when I'm watching a PG rated show and a creepy commercial for an R-rated movie comes on. I'm watching a PG show for a reason, they shouldn't be allowed to advertise adult content at that time. What if a child was watching, they shouldn't have to be exposed to that.



Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 30,523
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

11 Nov 2015, 7:14 pm

AspE wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
AspE wrote:
Have you read the Bible? Nothing on modern TV could be as crude or violent as that. Anyway TV was regulated because it's public and administrated by the government. Movies and cable are private, and it's no one's business what they can include as content.


Then again the bible is kind of lacking when it comes to really describing the crude bits and violence in detail...I think some movies and t.v do a better job at actually depicting such things than the bible does.

If you say that, I'm not sure you've read the thing...


I have and it doesn't go into a lot of graphic detail...it just says what happens with minimal details. Of course it mentions disturbing event and implies terrible things but the actual descriptions of how it plays out don't seem to go into a lot of detail. Of course not my favorite book I can think of many others I'd much rather read.


_________________
Tell me lies tell me sweet little lies, tell me lies.


naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,913
Location: temperate zone

11 Nov 2015, 9:49 pm

We need to go back to the old fashioned good clean entertainments of our ancestors: fox hunting, chicken fighting, badger baiting, bear baiting, public hangings, and the occasional drawing-and-quartering.



Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 40,563
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

11 Nov 2015, 11:40 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
We need to go back to the old fashioned good clean entertainments of our ancestors: fox hunting, chicken fighting, badger baiting, bear baiting, public hangings, and the occasional drawing-and-quartering.


Amen!! ! :lol:


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


KagamineLen
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jun 2012
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,648

12 Nov 2015, 10:40 am

One of the most popular shows on television today is Law & Order - Special Victims Unit.

It goes into pornographic detail when it comes to describing acts of sexual violence. The people who watch that show get vicarious kicks over hearing this disgustingly exploitative garbage. Then the perp gets caught at the end of the episode, and the audience can congratulate themselves - at least they're not the perp today.

To be fair, though, TV and movies has always had tons of morally questionable garbage. Before then, it was literature that was being debated under the same light.



mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Dec 2013
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,993
Location: Alberta, Canada

13 Nov 2015, 6:27 am

Don't like it? Don't watch it. That's what I say. For the record, I don't really take offense to things like sex, violence, and vulgar language, as these are all things that are common in real life whether you like it or not. What I do take offense to, are things that outright insult my intelligence.

Most of what's on TV nowadays is dumbed-down, socially-acceptable, boring, mindless crap. Granted, it has pretty much always been this way, since television is controlled by the mass media and made largely to appeal to the lowest common denominator, while also doing as little as possible to offend the conservative masses. Some brilliant shows have slipped through the cracks, but most have ended up either being censored, or cancelled and/or downplayed in favor of more marketable shows.



SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Jul 2007
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,921
Location: Somewhere Over The Rainbow

13 Nov 2015, 6:31 am

naturalplastic wrote:
We need to go back to the old fashioned good clean entertainments of our ancestors: fox hunting, chicken fighting, badger baiting, bear baiting, public hangings, and the occasional drawing-and-quartering.



:lol:


_________________
"Lightning is but a flicker of light, punctuated on all sides by darkness." - Loki