The Married Aspie Cafe Thread (discussion of marriage, etc.)

Page 39 of 41 [ 646 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next

BecomingMe
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Sep 2015, 1:27 pm

DiegoTheTraveller wrote:
divorced (which ended in me being incarcerated because of my HFA)...

...boundary issues (for example.. the difference between a female friend and flirting for more)...

...I love my wife -- but because of her health issues I find myself sometimes feeling unsatisfied -- and worse -- feel as though I HAVE NO RIGHT to feel unsatisfied. Our chemistry is off the charts when we do get physical...

I have always had issues making friends with males for whatever reason -- and feel much more confident with females. Obviously, this can create issues when in a long-term relationship.

although I am still wanting to proove to my wife that I can have female friends and be faithful at the same time.

There is a lot of related information which seems pertinent but missing.

What health issue causes you to feel unsatisfied?

When you talk about chemistry, are you specifically aware of your wife's enjoyment/feelings/etc? As an autistic, this could be very difficult to deduce.

Why do you want to prove that you can have female friends and be faithful? Has this been a problem previously? You mention your boundary issues.

Lastly, how do you logically connect divorce and HFA to incarceration? I wasn't aware of incarceration for HFA or divorce.

DiegoTheTraveller
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Sep 2015, 8:04 pm

First off -- If my situation was simple Id explain it to everyone. It's not.

My HFA didn't help when I was depressed, and when I was incarcerated for something that I denied but everything happened so fast that I made wrong decisions in terms of my plead.

I have an extremely high sex drive and I guess in terms of the needs -- I feel I am missing a male mentor to help me see where I went wrong. Coping skills are not my strong point.

Anyway, thanks for helping.

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2015, 2:59 pm

Oh my, why, why, why is it so hard to call before coming home? I am home every darn day with my kiddo. I love him and we have a great time, however, I am expected to also clean this darn place mostly by myself. My husband KNOWS that I HATE it when he comes home unexpected and I am cleaning, because all he does is walk around like an idiot or sit in a room and do nothing...I just want to be able to do what I need to do without his interruptions. If he calls me, then I can slowly get into the mindframe that I will NOT finish what I started, because he is an attention hog most of the time. Sure enough, I get to getting this place in order and he shows up, although just an hour before I told him to CALL ME if he needed anything, which HE KNOWS from 16 years that includes, if he's coming home early. He just threw me off and then sits there like a wounded puppy. UGH!$@#$#@

Sorry, vent over!

Malus_Domestica
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Nov 2015, 2:17 am

Hello, everyone! A quick introduction: I'm 33, female, live in Scandinavia and have been happily married for 7 years. We have two children, live in a rural area on a farm, I am self employed while my husband works in an office. He is NT as far as I know, while I am in the middle of trying to figure out if I'm on the spectrum. So, on to my issue:

Now usually we don't have many problems. But after having children, and especially in the last year as I've been moderately depressed, I've required a lot of down time. I realise now that it is down time, though at the time I just felt lazy and stupid, the house is a mess, my husband does more laundry than me ... he spends his evenings somewhere around the farm on some project or training the dog or whatever, while I just sit on the couch watching whichever show I'm into.

A disclaimer - my husband is very patient, understanding and doesn't say anything about me hanging on the couch all the time. He often shows me he loves me and is very thoughtful. I sometimes feel I'm taking advantage of him so I can be lazy ... and then I feel bad about that. I just get so tired in the evenings!

A couple of times during these last 5 years or so, he has sat us down and said that he wants me to contribute more (one time he was pretty angry too) to the house work, after which I usually cry, go silent and then start cleaning something furiously while he walks around sighing and trying to tell me he didn't mean straight away. The last time he said "we need to talk", I had a full on panic attack that scared both him and me, and all he wanted to say was that he'd like us to cuddle more (and have more sex ...). I was just so scared that he'd criticize me for this thing that I already know is "wrong with me".

Anyway, I've gradually begun to build up this ... I don't know what to call it, perhaps it's internalization, a word I haven't yet completely understood I think - where I am pretty much constantly criticizing myself and then "transfering" it to my husband as if it were HE criticizing me, if you understand? Even when he's nowhere around? And I feel that everything I do around the house is because he might be angry if I don't? Also, whenever I really need down time - like after a very busy social weekend, I might decide to take the whole monday off (perk of being self-employed), but I can never really relax because I feel bad that I don't do something useful. I feel I'm wasting SO much time. My days are totally unstructured now, I really want to get organized, but just can't make myself sit down and plan everything out. I feel I have to do everything perfectly, or I just don't bother at all.

I haven't told him about my suspicions that I might have ASD yet. I don't know where I was going with this ... does anyone else here relate? Does anyone have any advice? Or have a great tool for organizing life, for instance?

JackBruns
Raven
Raven

02 May 2016, 5:55 pm

Ugh. What man is dumb enough to get married in any Western country these days....

JeanES
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jun 2016, 4:26 pm

JackBruns wrote:
Ugh. What man is dumb enough to get married in any Western country these days....

I'm curious as to your specification that men in "Western" countries would be dumb to marry... why only Western?

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2016, 6:55 am

JackBruns wrote:

Well, I did recently and I certainly don't consider myself dumb: my wife may not be perfect but she kind, caring and VERY financially responsible. We are buying a house: something I would NEVER be able to do on my own and are expecting our first child (again, not an experience I can or would want to have alone).

My brother on the other hand is a different story but he was warned repeatedly about what a bad idea marrying his wife would be. After 7 years, he's pretty much lost the will to live and can't see how miserable she makes him but he repeatedly had a chance to be in a relationship with stable, supportive women to which he just said "they are too boring". All those women are still married to this day.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2016, 7:29 am

Congrats on the kid!

That's something that might be on my "bucket list" sometime in the future.

There's a side of me that feels like I would have benefited had I had a kid when I was younger.

PuzzlePieces1
Raven
Raven

27 Aug 2016, 2:46 pm

I'm new to the forum and I'm a married Aspie. The marriage itself is not really that difficult because we always discuss things and we never fight. The only problem I really have is understanding how to be as supportive as my wife needs me to be. She suffers from mental illness and she recently lost her job so I have to take care of her while also being our main source of income now. She blames herself because we had depended on her job for our health insurance.

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jul 2017, 5:41 am

My wife is everything, I have no idea how I could manage without her. I don't have any friends really, not that I want them particularly, my wife and children when they lived at home have always been enough for me. I am a disaster when it comes to organising and planning. I forgot things all the time and find managing my diary for work really stressful. My wife has put up with so much from me, all those times when I have talked over her , misunderstood, made unwise decisions, been blunt or rude to people we knew and I just didn't get it.

And she has stuck by me for 27 years....wow

BBC: Radio 4

ladyliss
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Jul 2017, 7:09 am

Hi everyone.

I'm NT, but struggling to understand separation from my (undiagnosed, probably) high functioning ASD husband. I think the relationship is done, but there are some things about it that still deeply confuse me, and I'm here to see if someone can kindly help me see it from his point of view. I'll put my questions here, but please tell me which area of the forum to post in if there is somewhere better.

Okay, basic background. We have two kids, and have only just separated. The main recurring arguments for us were who looks after the kids, how we schedule our time, the details of how things should be done, and the lack of "relating" in our relationship (that one was mine, lol).

My ex has had a very warm relationship with our older daughter (2.5) since she was about 1 year old. Before that age he found her very difficult (she was). He said things like "she doesn't give anything back", which I found mystifying at the time but now put down to the fact that toddlers are probably a lot easier for him to read than babies. Our younger daughter (11 months) is just now passing to the magic age that he finds "workable" for looking after her.

Our relationship, from my point of view, has been gone for a long while. We met, we fell in love, he was incredibly attentive and affectionate and interested, and then we moved countries and he was overwhelmed, withdrawn and avoidant. I put it down to depression, we came home, he improved, we got married. But pretty much by the honeymoon, I felt like most of the time he was irritable, preoccupied, and ignored me. We went to counselling. Little changed. We had our first daughter. He couldn't look after her because he couldn't cope with the crying. I took it on, thinking that it was just because she cried a lot (she did). Then something confusing happened once she turned one...

He got affectionate, interested, and warm WITH HER. Which is lovely! But it also showed me how deeply unaffectionate, disinterested and cold he was with me. I had gotten used to it, and thought he was unable to be warm. But then I saw, he was able to have what I considered a warm relationship, just not with me.

Things got slowly worse. I said that I needed more from him. I got anxious and depressed. I said that I couldn't continue with the relationship as it was. I went to counselling myself. I started pointing out the things he did that caused me to feel so unloved. And nothing changed. It was like he heard it, but was unable to do anything about it, and wanted me to stop bringing it up, please, because it made him feel really bad about himself.

Somehow amidst very little sex, all initiated by me, we had a second unplanned baby (very fertile?!). This added a lot of stress to the equation, and this time, because there were two, I was no longer willing to do all of the childcare until she reached the magic age of one. He couldn't cope with looking after two. I insisted that we get more help (babysitter, anything!) so that I could have some time off. He insisted that I be within ten minutes of home at all times, so that I could come back "in time" if our little girl was crying. A few times he broke things when I didn't answer my phone or come home quickly enough. He insisted that we (aka, me) look after the kids at all times without help, and sort of passive aggressively resisted my plans to return to work using daycare. Our relationship was really deteriorating, and finally, I asked him to move out.

Once he finally realised that I would actually end the relationship unless things changed fundamentally and immediately, he started saying that he wanted "the family". Which I understand on one level (of course I wanted the family to be together too), but on another level it seemed REALLY MYSTIFYING. Because if he wanted the family to stay together, the one, obvious (I thought) thing to do was to work on our relationship. But I never could see any progress on any of the things that weren't working in our relationship. To me, it seemed like:

1. He wanted the FUNCTION of our relationship (family together), not the relationship itself.
2. He wanted me to stay for that function, but not to be with me in any way I understand.
3. He expected me to stay for these reasons, and was actually suprised that I wouldn't.
4. He either wouldn't, or couldn't, do the things that would actually enable me to stay.

He said that I can't change him. He said that deep down, he's afraid that he's incapable of relationships. He asked me to break up with him, almost like he was asking to be 'let off the hook'. He said that he needed it to 'not be his fault'. He said that he loves me, and always will, and that he has been trying so hard and is so upset that I can't see it (and when he says that even I felt terrible that I can't see it, but I literally couldn't see it). He said it's like he was trying to start a car for all those years, trying and trying to get the car going so that he could come and see me using the car, but he couldn't start it. I didn't know what the trying even was, and kept asking him to get more help through counselling, but he DID NOT want to open up 'our problems' to third parties. He said he know our problems were, in fact, his problems.

So. Finally to my questions. I have accepted the relationship is done, but I still wonder...

WHY is it that he can be warm with our daughters, but not with me?

WHY could he not understand that we had to keep our relationship together to keep the family together? (And yes, I did explain this).

WHAT was he doing, when he says he was trying? I know you can't read his mind, but perhaps you can relate???

WHY if he is so attached to keeping our family together, did he resist outside help in attempting to do it?

WHAT does it mean when he says he loves me, if the way that he loves me looks so very different to the way that he loves our daughters?

I once told him that he should imagine how our girls would feel if he never hugged them again (he's very affectionate with them). This was to help him understand how I couldn't cope with the lack of our relationship. He said "oh", in a sad way, as if he was picturing how sad our daughters would be if he never hugged them again. And this is what confuses me. If he "gets it" for them, why doesn't he "get it" for me? Or does he get it, and is he unable to do anything about it? And if so, why?!

Long introdution, but there is my struggle :)

Can you help?

nutinmuch
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Aug 2017, 3:26 pm

ladieliss,

I must apologize, the replies that I have written in my head were probably much better at explaining but would have been hard to write out linearly.

I'm undiagnosed, my wife is the NT. I have two kids, the youngest is diagnosed (We had him diagnosed based on my self-diagnosis). It's really hard to get an adult evaluation, working on it.

My wife and I married in our early 20s, we moved across country right after the wedding so I could attend college. My wife is the reason why I have any success. Our move left us isolated from family and friends, I think this helped us bond. I say this only as a possible explanation why we're still together. We're not a success story, we're dysfunctional and we bicker. We can yell at each other but no one else can. I have a deep admiration for her, it took me a long time to get my ego out of the way and realize just how lucky I am. I am far from the greatest person and I would laugh at anyone thinking these are statements of pride.

I live the majority of my time in the world in my head. I don't always understand that these internal conversations and evaluations do not generally bubble to anyone outside. I do work hard on our relationship and I have also come so very close to giving up on it many times. At first I felt my needs were not being met - no consideration for what her needs really were. In my ego I was a wonderful person, I justified all of my selfishness. Did I have legitimate complaints? I'm sure there are a few.

Then came the awareness. In my mid-forties, like so many other people, I started to notice a pattern of failures. I had spent my life trying attack these flaws but things were not getting any better. And then the pieces fell into place. It felt like a lightning strike.

Being currently undiagnosed, I have a hard time saying what I am or am not. I'm in a state of limbo. I feel on the outside of two worlds. A purgatory between the NT world and not really feeling accepted by the ASD world (it's just how I feel, no need to defend). This "event" in my life has made me re-examine every memory I had. I have had to look at myself from a 180 degree point of view. I have no ego left to protect myself from me.

I cannot express the guilt I feel for my wife. I feel like I sold her a broken dream. How can I provide if I’m the one needing the provision? I would have had no problem understanding if she left me for a more "stable" life. But ... thankfully ... neither of us have anywhere to go. I would have a hard time entering into a new relationship. The odds of finding someone else who could tolerate my tantrums or peculiar behavior would be slim and exhausting. We’re both broken-in all too well. My life as a comfy shoe.

Why would I want to leave her? Initially I would have left her to follow my own selfish needs. Now, I would leave her so she could have the happiness she deserves. She put a lot of energy in helping me achieve my dreams. I chased that dream hoping I could give her, her dream. All I want for her is to be happy. Ever since I met her, I've wanted her to be happy. I wanted to be the one who provided the happiness, not the one who is the problem. It is very arrogant of me to presume to know what will make her happy. After all, I’m the same toothpaste only in a different box. I am no different to her before or after.

We have two kids of high school age. I'm not the best parent. I act more like a child myself than an adult. I love my boys. They are the most interesting combinations of the two of us and inspire me to no end. We each have a different relationship with our boys. Sometimes I hear her easily laughing with them at times when she doesn't laugh for me. I adore her when she's happy. I want that to be me making her laugh. My sons have a different relationship with me. Mom lays down the rules, she’s the caregiver and she runs the house. I’m support and light entertainment. She has a strong connection with the youngest. My wife and I don't interact with each other like we do with the kids. Is my love for her different? Well, yes it is. I would never think about giving up on my kids. I created them. My wife had a choice to be with me. My kids had no choice. Is it too bad for my wife? No, they are all my family. I couldn't imagine them any differently than my arm or any other limb. They are all part of me, my life, my experience, my body.

I read your post as I was in the middle of trying to reconnect with my wife. The kids, the pets, life; everything conspires to get between us. I felt us drifting apart. We weren't enjoying good times together, only sharing in the day-to-day misery. Our emotional cycles never seem to be in step. I'm always chasing her moods and I need strong signs of her approval. Sometimes I feel like a roommate, just someone to do x number of chores. It's frustrating and I keep trying. I either try to make it better (sacrifice my needs) or I try to give up (and only service my needs). Your post caused me great concern because I could easily see myself in that situation. I went up and told her that I love her and I would never leave. We were pulling away from each other with the false impression that the other person was no longer interested. I expect her to see me suffering and provide love and support. If she doesn't react in the way I want then I project she doesn't care. But, what is happening is that I'm not providing clear communication. I need to swallow my ego that says notice me (poor me, whinging away) and speak very bluntly. Remove the confusion and deal with the subtle expressions later.

Late life ASD diagnosis is a blessing and a curse. A lot of old problems and questions get answered but little to no solutions are offered and it feels late to turn the ship from hitting the iceberg. My head is a tangled mess. I feel like I have a split personality. It's hard to not fall back on old NT patterns and think this is something I can fix with just the right amount of effort or focus. And then there's the ASD side that lays naked without ego. Every social interaction plotted and evaluated endlessly, like a Super Bowl game recap with the harshest critics from the losing team.

And out of all this confusion and up-ending, only a small trickle makes it out of my head into her world.

My advice in general, don't look for what you're expecting to be there in the form that you expect it to be there in. This isn't a criticism of your response or outlook. Your desire to understand goes far beyond what most are willing to endure. All questions are valid and it is your life, your happiness. Guard that happiness closely. The hardest part is accepting truths that you can't see or understand. Love can be different, yet still equal. You both can see the same painting and be moved by it for different reasons. He just might not be able to express those feelings in a format you both can understand. To understand is knowing you may never understand in the same way - which is true of everyone. Adjust life for the filter that you are viewing it through.

I think that's enough Kung Fu (tv show) philosophy for the day. In the end, I've only given you some trying-to-be clever analogies of what my life is like. There's nothing about this that can be fixed or understood by being clever with words or by fortune cookie outlooks. If I have provided any comfort it is by chance, not expertise. I'm only a guy trying to battle windmills as if they were dragons. I wish you the peace that you seek. It seems so hard to bottle and it doesn't ferment well. But you do deserve it, we all deserve it. I raise my glass and toast you all. You are all knights in my world. I just may not be able to tell you that with words.

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Aug 2017, 4:21 am

I have been married for 27 years, I am very, very lucky and I know it.

My wife has been very patient it has to be said, she has need to be with my socialy inept style of communication (rude, blunt, brutally honest, black and white thinking...you get the picture) thats if she can get me out of the house to meet any one at all that is. We live in a little cottage and living with her is the only thing I have ever wanted. I don't have friends and do not want any either. I see enough of the world when I go out and I do not want anything or anyone else...she is all I need and I would be totally lost without her.

Not sure what else to add....er....thats it 8)

BBC: Radio 4

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 Aug 2017, 5:46 am

ladyliss, I may have just a little suggestion about diffrent behavior towards you and the children. I grew up with an uncle, who I believe to have ASD. He was great with kids but always violently quarreled with adults. He was behaving like he was afraid of adults and used spoiling attacks to defend himself. With kids he was comfortable like he felt safe.

Now I feel something similar.
I'm the kind of strongly camouflaged ASD so before I realized what was going on, it took time and consuelling. Anyway, what makes me feel insecure with other adults is, in my case, being interpreted. I can't relax with other adults present because they always interpret me. They add meaning to my moves, to my posture and never belive when I tell them they are wrong. Even my spouse does this, despite his knowing of my ASD and being the thinking-over-feeling type.
Little kids and animals don't interpret me and that enables me to relax and show affection.

I have no idea if anything similar happens to your partner. Pity he doesn't want consuelling but it might indicate similarity - that he is stressed in the presence of other adults, incredibly stressed in the presence of "third party" and can relax only in relationship with toddlers.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Luna035
Raven
Raven

27 Nov 2017, 12:07 pm

Must Be Nice.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2018, 9:20 am

Yes, I am married, improbable as it seems. Ten years. Two kids. I'm often amazed by this.