What does this diagnostic criteria mean?

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

jjacmom
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Nov 2015, 9:18 am

I know this is from the DSM IV but I'm having a hard time understanding what each of these mean. I've been trying to scour the internet looking for specific examples but can't see to find anything.

A.Qualitative impairment in social interaction, as manifested by at least two of the following:

(1) marked impairment in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors such as eye-to-eye gaze, facial expression, body postures, and gestures to regulate social interaction

Does this mean no facial expression or movement at all?

(2) failure to develop peer relationships appropriate to developmental level
I take this to mean no relationships whatsoever and can't get along with anyone in the same age group

(3) a lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interests, or achievements with other people (e.g., by a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing out objects of interest to other people)
I have no idea. :-(

(4) lack of social or emotional reciprocity
It seems to mean one is non-responsive to someone elses pain/happiness/anger, etc.

Would anyone mind giving an example or an explanation for each?

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2015, 3:49 am

jjacmom wrote:
(1) marked impairment in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors such as eye-to-eye gaze, facial expression, body postures, and gestures to regulate social interaction

Does this mean no facial expression or movement at all?

No, although having no facial expressions does meet this criterium.
It means that you use movements and/or expressions that are different from what you'd expect: smiling if you are angry, looking away if you are listening to someone, saying "look over there" and not point in the implied direction, that kind of things.

Quote:
(2) failure to develop peer relationships appropriate to developmental level
I take this to mean no relationships whatsoever and can't get along with anyone in the same age group

The second part, yes, but the first not so much.
There is an expected amount of friends and (short-term) partners you are "supposed" to have (had) at a certain age range; if you have a lower amount, you qualify.
Indeed, if the friends you do have are of a different age group, you also qualify: the people i call 'friends' are generally 8-15 years younger than me, while you are "supposed" to have friends of you age plus or minus 5 (ish)

Quote:
(3) a lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interests, or achievements with other people (e.g., by a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing out objects of interest to other people)
I have no idea. :-(

This is the general "look what i did" attitude.
Say you are the schools #1 mathlete, an NT would take the medal to his class, show it to everyone and tell them when they won, where someone who meets this point would just put the medal in a box and continue as if nothing happened.

Another example is when you see a beautiful plant or insect; an NT would instantly call all his nearby friends, point at the plant and state how beautiful it is, the person with this criterium would just enjoy in silence.

Quote:
(4) lack of social or emotional reciprocity
It seems to mean one is non-responsive to someone elses pain/happiness/anger, etc.

Sort of, yeah.
If someone close to you is sad, you are expected to also show signs of being sad, and if you see someone falling off a wall on his face, you are 'supposed' to cringe as if you feel his pain as well.
Not showing these signals (whether you do feel these emotions is not relevant) will qualify you here