Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Neuron9
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Nov 2015, 11:58 am

This is my second year living in residence, this is my second year at this school, I'm officially in third year, and I've been in postsecondary for four years (I lived at home and went to a local college for my first two years). Last year I had a roommate (technically a suite mate, as we have separate rooms that are connected by an entryway with a bathroom and shower) who I didn't really get along with: her scents drove me insane (allergies as well as sensitivity), she got make-up all over the bathroom (that stuff is disgusting), and made noise (including late at night when I was supposed to be sleeping . . . and I'm bad at sleeping, so that didn't work very well). This year, I was supposed to get a single room, but I ended up with a suite without a roommate. Until today.

I got an e-mail last night that somebody will be moving into the other room attached to mine. Talking to housing today, it could be anytime after 4:00 today. All they could tell me about her was her name, and a facebook search makes it look like she's a first-year nursing student and a cheerleader, with all of the glitzy make-up and hair gel of the popular kids from high school who were so obnoxious . . . and not exactly the type of person that would be easy for an aspie with social anxiety to live with. (I have yet to meet her, but her facebook profile has me even more scared than I knew nothing about her.)

My point in posting this is not just to complain. Maybe I should have put it on a different board relating to social issues, but it is directly university related so I am putting it here. Do you have any advice for me? I have an autism awareness poster on my door, so maybe she'll get that clue, but do you have any advice for how to share my needs with her? To learn to live with her? At least she can't be loud as late as my last roommate, since I'm on a quiet floor this year (I didn't manage that last year).

Even the fact that something this major is changing has me stressed out right now. The fact that is someone unknown and potentially overwhelming has my anxiety on overdrive. Suggestions and encouragement are very much appreciated!