Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Nimbus
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Nov 2015, 9:20 pm

Hello! I'm here to tell you why Captain Jack Harkness is an ideal role model for anyone, male or female, looking for love and suffering from debilitating social awkwardness. But not now. Now, I need your help. Or your advice. Opinions?

First, some background:

I was born a hopeless romantic, and I'll die before I change my ways. In school, I spent more time hanging out with girls, trying to figure out this whole flirting thing, than attending classes--even interesting ones like Culinary and Acting. I've even picked up some of the tricks we all find so infuriating. Mixed signals, playing on jealousy.

Somehow, I don't think that will help me now. Through work, I've met a girl who uses none of that artifice. She's kind of awkward, she has a formal, refined way of speaking, and her over-the-top theatrical antics set even my calloused heart aflutter.

We seem to have everything in common. How often do you meet a female version of yourself?

Did I mention she's entirely too cute? I'm pretty sure it's illegal to be that cute. Like, there might be a law against it.

Those aren't my questions. My questions are thus: since it would be unethical to manipulate someone who probably doesn't know how to play that game, since subtleties of expression and inflection are likely to go unnoticed, and since casual touch might be unwelcome for quite unrelated reasons, how am I to proceed?

I must admit that I've met few fellow aspies, and fewer aspie girls.

It's work, so I can't be too overt, but being overt is the best way to get through to one of us. Overt can also come across as pushy, and that's the last thing you want to be toward someone who likely has social anxiety.

It's a great comedy, isn't it? An aspie attempts to court another aspie, only to be thwarted by the very same mannerisms he's used, unwittingly, to thwart others. It could only be better if she saw this post and recognized me. Wink.

Unfortunate_Aspie_
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2015, 9:56 pm

I am so ridiculously pro- aspie-aspie relationships!

The girl you are describing sounds swell! :mrgreen:

I think being a hopeless romantic is an adorable trait that I love to see in other people.

It's great that you've managed to pick up on some NT cues, but that degree of artifice doesn't work well with other aspies generally.

Good luck! Is she an out-aspie? Does she realize she is aspie?
Just try appealing to one of her special interests :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
That's always a good way to get ASC people to perk up and gives them an easy out thing to talk about. :D
I've met a male version of myself exactly twice we weren't "exactly" alike, but it was magic each time. Those kind of meetings are always so fun!
I feel like you know it is something when you start talking in sync with one another/mimicking each others mannerisms.

Nimbus
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Nov 2015, 2:06 am

Oh, I'm so glad! I really wasn't sure what kind of response I would get.

She knows what she is, though I haven't asked. All I asked is if she's ever felt like she should have been born in a different time period, or on a different planet. She has.

Special interests, yes. How could I forget? It's convenient, then, that we have so many in common. Let the geeking out commence! I only hope our poor coworkers won't be too beleaguered.

I do enjoy some artifice, but it should be nice not to have to indulge in it for a change.

Thank you, and thank you for the kind wishes.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2015, 2:09 am

**sigh**

I was so naive and handsome eons ago.....

Nimbus
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Nov 2015, 2:27 am

I love you.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2015, 2:48 am

A time-traveling narcissistic moment.