Page 3 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2007, 8:24 pm

Sophist wrote:
I am dxed Aspergers, but when refering to myself in reference to ASD, I usually just say I'm autistic.

WOW, why is that? Is it simply because you want to identify with the whole group?

Frankly, I'm ok with anyone that is reasonably communicative and not insulting. I'm trying to look at everyone with no assumptions about what crazy outbursts and motions might mean. I already got rid of the stupid habit I got a few years ago of referring to expressions that appear sad or non-descript that a person has. I will try to remember to come up slow, and talk softly if someone is having an apparant meltdown. I think other stuff is already ok. So hopefully I can come off as, and possibly make, a new friend!

Steve

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2007, 8:30 am

Have been diagnosed with AS before but people and family who knew am never agreed with it,over a year of help and assessing,have been unofficially diagnosed as classic autistic by a speech and language therapist.

Does it matter if someone has Kanners/Aspergers/PDDNOS etc on here,as no one is better or worse for the label they have,it is all autism in one way or another.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2007, 9:10 am

KingdomOfRats wrote:
Have been diagnosed with AS before but people and family who knew am never agreed with it,over a year of help and assessing,have been unofficially diagnosed as classic autistic by a speech and language therapist.

Does it matter if someone has Kanners/Aspergers/PDDNOS etc on here,as no one is better or worse for the label they have,it is all autism in one way or another.

I think roygerdodger just wanted to know others like him were here. I would have felt uncomfortable if EVERYONE here was REAL young, professionally diagnosed, etc... Nothing against you, etc... I just feel better knowing I am not the only one. I guess that is one of the great things about AS. It tells you OTHERS have the same condition! OTHERS understand! I speak of sensory skewing, and explain it, etc... and STILL people look at me DUMBSTRUCK! But now I find many here have the SAME kind of problem! Just an example.

Steve