Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

paolo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Aug 2006
Age: 86
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,175
Location: Italy

11 Apr 2007, 4:39 pm

I have never celebrated my birthday, nor let someone know when it happens. Reporting my age was meant as an encouragement for the autie who started the thread. I am not sure it is a real encouragement. But I discovered only three years ago what my problems were. And if I could have got before to their roots things might have been someway different. It's good to start early to build a livable bubble, o burrow, or little tent or whatever kind of residence for your life. measure well your forces and weaknesses and make the best of them.
I like the term autie. Autistic is not a substantive.


_________________
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
--Samuel Beckett


mariiha
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 11 Feb 2007
Gender: Female
Posts: 223
Location: WP

11 Apr 2007, 7:16 pm

richardbenson wrote:
paolo wrote:
richardbenson wrote:
paolo wrote:
I am 73.
wow congrates on living so long :D
Do you think it's too long? Take this as friendly advice, but never congratulate anybody for his/her age if he/she is older than 40 (or, better older than thirty).
whys that? id want people congratulating me all over the place if i lived that long



perhaps when you are 73 you may view your world differently :wink:



Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Mar 2007
Age: 40
Gender: Female
Posts: 834
Location: Paradise

11 Apr 2007, 7:26 pm

richardbenson wrote:
paolo wrote:
richardbenson wrote:
paolo wrote:
I am 73.
wow congrates on living so long :D
Do you think it's too long? Take this as friendly advice, but never congratulate anybody for his/her age if he/she is older than 40 (or, better older than thirty).
whys that? id want people congratulating me all over the place if i lived that long


Because it sounds like you're hinting that he's so old he should have died years ago. It's kind of a blow to the ego, and anyway 73 isn't particularly old. Statistically speaking, my own life expectancy is certainly longer than that, and since it's just an average I'm really hoping to exceed it!



OddCoyote
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 27 Feb 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 229
Location: Under my bed

11 Apr 2007, 9:40 pm

richardbenson wrote:
you know i kept thinking about how much artistic sounds like autistic. i had a conversation withmyself for like 2 hours about it yesterday. i couldnt let it go :x


Who won the arguement?


_________________
Image
Yes, I am 14.


Sora
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Sep 2006
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,906
Location: Europe

12 Apr 2007, 5:31 am

Maybe it's just me, but other than the IQ and the development of speech I can't think of anything that is seperating Aspies and Auties. BUT I haven't seen another Aspie in action yet, just Auties on videos they did themselves or which were made of them (in the case of children) which I all found to be understandable, not strange but instead familiar to varying degrees.

Sooo... maybe I'll realise Aspies are very different from Auties when I meet some Aspies some day. Until then, I'll stick to "being autistic" and "autistics" and claim I have an opinion about something I have no idea about.



0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Apr 2007
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,038
Location: London

12 Apr 2007, 6:02 am

I'm told I'm AS but there are some things that fit in more with ASD. I think it is a question of clinical judgement rather than an exact thing. I used to think all my problems were the same, and then I thought they were all different now I'm just confused.



SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Oct 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,899
Location: Chicago, IL

12 Apr 2007, 6:34 am

Sora wrote:
Maybe it's just me, but other than the IQ and the development of speech I can't think of anything that is seperating Aspies and Auties. BUT I haven't seen another Aspie in action yet, just Auties on videos they did themselves or which were made of them (in the case of children) which I all found to be understandable, not strange but instead familiar to varying degrees.

Sooo... maybe I'll realise Aspies are very different from Auties when I meet some Aspies some day. Until then, I'll stick to "being autistic" and "autistics" and claim I have an opinion about something I have no idea about.


Most aspies probably don't even know there is anything "wrong" with them! I knew I was different, but....

Steve



SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Oct 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,899
Location: Chicago, IL

12 Apr 2007, 6:35 am

0_equals_true wrote:
I'm told I'm AS but there are some things that fit in more with ASD. I think it is a question of clinical judgement rather than an exact thing. I used to think all my problems were the same, and then I thought they were all different now I'm just confused.


AS IS an ASD!! !

Steve



0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Apr 2007
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,038
Location: London

12 Apr 2007, 6:40 am

SteveK wrote:
0_equals_true wrote:
I'm told I'm AS but there are some things that fit in more with ASD. I think it is a question of clinical judgement rather than an exact thing. I used to think all my problems were the same, and then I thought they were all different now I'm just confused.


AS IS an ASD!! !

Steve

Alright I know but people have been using that term to mean non-AS. I'm just to lazy to write non-AS Autistic. :lol:



SeriousGirl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Mar 2007
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,067
Location: the Witness Protection Program

12 Apr 2007, 9:43 am

Sora wrote:
Maybe it's just me, but other than the IQ and the development of speech I can't think of anything that is seperating Aspies and Auties. BUT I haven't seen another Aspie in action yet, just Auties on videos they did themselves or which were made of them (in the case of children) which I all found to be understandable, not strange but instead familiar to varying degrees.


Dr. Asperger originally described his group of children as "Little Professors." The official diagnostic criteria are expanded and now it is a continuum. It has become very muddled and many psychologists make no distinction between HFA and AS.


_________________
If the topic is small, why talk about it?


KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Jun 2006
Age: 50
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,418
Location: Arizona

12 Apr 2007, 10:47 am

The speech delay is the most distinctive and it's the defining point between Asperger's and "high functioning" autistic. Although my son is considered to have "age appropriate" speech, he is still quite a bit behind and will always struggle with speech and receptive language. A lot of people don't realize that he is very often speaking in script and echolalia. He has developed "appropriate" pitch and tone to his voice so people don't realize he is not spontaneously chattering.
It gets him in trouble when people either mistake him for saying something highly inappropriate (repeated script that he inserts in the wrong context) or when they don't understand the actual words. (a bus driver insisted he was shouting about "violence and death" when he was talking about "Violet and Dash" from The Incredibles)



paolo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Aug 2006
Age: 86
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,175
Location: Italy

12 Apr 2007, 12:18 pm

I am not a specialist, though I have spent all my adult life in studying, under all possible profiles the problems of mind, emotions, and psychological suffering. I have reached the conclusion that there is a great deal of overlapping between syndromes and that, perhaps, it's not that important to know the precise location of each case in the many definitions. It is important to know everything possible, in order to find the strategies to cope with problems, but I think this should be made not so much having in mind the abstract classifications but rather the concrete cases.

Syndromes may be made more serious by the history of the persons. I believe that neurons are more important that traumas (bad parenting, for example). But the merging of the two kind of causes should always be taken in account and each individual history is probably so complex that it should be studied and interpreted in relation to all the causes involved. Fast driving may result in an accident, but there may be also bad sight, faulty brakes, limited visibility and so on.

A defective mirror neuron is very likely to make empathy more difficult. But what if the person has also been subject to bullying, violence, difficult environments? The propensity to be gentle and kind has certainly a genetic root, but often the equilibrium between being good, norm abiding, supportive of others and being the opposite, may be precarious and can be shifted one way or the other by the weight of an hair.



Raph522
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2006
Gender: Female
Posts: 13,717

12 Apr 2007, 12:20 pm

I have PDD-nos.. but I usually say aspergers :? I know there are other autistics non-AS here


_________________
snowcone


paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Apr 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,111

12 Apr 2007, 8:01 pm

roygerdodger wrote:
I guess I'm one of the non-AS autistics here.


I was diagnosed autistic in 1961 and no one in my country had ever heard of aspergers syndrome then.



Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Apr 2005
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,332
Location: Louisville, KY

12 Apr 2007, 8:09 pm

I am dxed Aspergers, but when refering to myself in reference to ASD, I usually just say I'm autistic.


_________________
My Science blog, Science Over a Cuppa - http://insolemexumbra.wordpress.com/

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/