Would a society of aspies be more successful?

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Would a society consisting primarily of aspies ultimately be more successful than the one we currently live in?
Yes 19%  19%  [ 10 ]
No 40%  40%  [ 21 ]
Maybe/Unsure 40%  40%  [ 21 ]
Total votes : 52

qbit
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Apr 2007, 7:35 pm

hale_bopp wrote:

Imagine us trying to run a country.. everyone will say the wrong things, people will take it the wrong way, and won't pic up emotional cues.

First, remember that "saying the wrong things", is based on the neurotypical definitions. In an AS-based society, everyone will be expected to behave as aspies do. It will be different from the very core. Indeed, it is NTs who will be "saying the wrong things".
Also, how can someone fail to pick up emotional cues, if there are none?

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2007, 7:55 pm

qbit wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:

Imagine us trying to run a country.. everyone will say the wrong things, people will take it the wrong way, and won't pic up emotional cues.

First, remember that "saying the wrong things", is based on the neurotypical definitions. In an AS-based society, everyone will be expected to behave as aspies do. It will be different from the very core. Indeed, it is NTs who will be "saying the wrong things".

No.. it isn't. I say the wrong things to other aspies all the time.

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2007, 7:59 pm

qbit wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:

Just because we don't pick up emotions well doesn't mean that we don't experince them. Look around the haven, especially the 1-10 scale. It's packed with emotions, especially negative ones. Heck, I've been offended by comments on here that weren't even directed at me, and I know others have as well. We're very sensitive, and we can easily hurt each other, whether or not we intend to.
Besides, aspies are on a spectrum. Some of us can and do pass for normal in most situations, and others are undeniably on the other sied of the spectrum. There is no typical behavior amongst us, even with the larger issues.

Three years!

qbit
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Apr 2007, 8:23 pm

LadyCass wrote:
qbit wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:

Just because we don't pick up emotions well doesn't mean that we don't experince them.

I do not mean emotions, but emotional cues. It is of no doubt that aspies have emotions, but they do not send or receive them through body language. In an AS society, emotional cues through body language would not exist, and emotions would be communicated in another way.
LadyCass wrote:
It's packed with emotions, especially negative ones.

Why the negative emotions? Aspies are oppressed by NTs. Also, when a group is oppressed, it often leads to tension inside that group. That can cause some of the fights in the forums.
I agree with the rest of your post. Aspies do tend to be sensitive. IMO, aspies are less likely to try to hurt someone's feelings on purpose, than NTs are, so this kind of balances this out.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2007, 8:25 pm

qbit wrote:
LadyCass wrote:
qbit wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:

Just because we don't pick up emotions well doesn't mean that we don't experince them.

I do not mean emotions, but emotional cues. It is of no doubt that aspies have emotions, but they do not send or receive them through body language. In an AS society, emotional cues through body language would not exist, and emotions would be communicated in another way.
LadyCass wrote:

Why the negative emotions? Aspies are oppressed by NTs. Also, when a group is oppressed, it often leads to tension inside that group. That can cause some of the fights in the forums.
I agree with the rest of your post. Aspies do tend to be sensitive. IMO, aspies are less likely to try to hurt someone's feelings on purpose, than NTs are, so this kind of balances this out.

Your ideas about what AS is are flawed. You have no idea about the general population.. of aspies or NTs. Just because an aspie sometimes hurts someone by accident, does not mean they don't have the intelligence or manipulation to do it on purpose.

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2007, 8:33 pm

qbit wrote:
LadyCass wrote:
qbit wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:

How? There are also a number of posts that refer to being unable to clearly express how we feel. We're not very good at explaining some stuff, and emotions seem to be one of those. Besides, unless we go around wearing tags that say "I am _______" (sad, angry, happy, lonely, whatever), no one will known immediately. Knowing quickly is important, because it determines how you should act around someone. If they're really bummed out about their dog dying (example), you don't want to start telling them about your wonderful weekend date. If we offend each other, there will be problems.

qbit wrote:
LadyCass wrote:

I must say, I'm not feeling particularly oppressed. Sure, there are some bullies out there, but I highly doubt that the bullies check dx reports to say, hey this person is AS. There are a lot of kids - a lot of non-AS kids - who get bullied too. I do not blame my own behavioral problems on an outside group of people. If I'm being nasty, it's my fault, and I accept that.
We are blunt people. Whether or not we mean to hurt someone, people will be hurt. There will be arguments, there will be insults, and people will start picking sides. And some people are quite willing to hurt other people. Remember, compassion is not of the dx criteria for AS. Arguments break out, people feel angry, yeah, there will be intentional snides.

Three years!

euphrosyne
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Apr 2007, 10:28 am

I really don't know. Aspies are almost always socially inept in some way and a society needs socialization. I'd think a society of Aspies would keep to themselves too much and it would hinder the spread of information. They most likely would not have as many full scale wars but there may be more people getting angry and physically attacking each other. I don't think there would be hardly any gossiping at least, and they may have better schools and libraries. I bet an Aspie society would have many craft, comic book, and video game stores and less pointless things like those lame spring break parties where everyone gets drunk and acts like a bunch of idiots licking things off of each other.

SeriousGirl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2007, 10:40 am

I think it takes a bell curve of personality characteristics to create a successful society. We need extraverted managers and diplomats as well as computer scientists and artists.

NoCriminalIntent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Apr 2007, 11:14 am

No, we'd probably screw things up as well, we'd just do it differently.

And where we'd really fall apart is military defense. I can just see one of us watching the radar and the commanding officer asks, "how many incoming missiles?" and the other says, "I don't know. Theyre moving all around. But theres definately 122 squares dividing up the screen."

We'd be toast so quick. :)

kiki3
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Apr 2007, 11:45 am

euphrosyne wrote:
I bet an Aspie society would have many craft, comic book, and video game stores and less pointless things like those lame spring break parties where everyone gets drunk and acts like a bunch of idiots licking things off of each other.

I hear you there! There's nothing I hate worse than a bunch of wild idiots! Just once, I'd like to see them release a DVD entitled "Girl's Gone Wild, The Aftermath -- Living With STD's."

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2007, 2:01 pm

Define what makes a successful society. I guarantee you people have different ideas about what a successful society is. That makes the answer to this question very difficult to quantify. I voted no because I think we would eventually drive each other crazy.

mariiha
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Apr 2007, 7:23 pm

voted unsure... people in general are unpredictable...they make up way too many rules and laws that govern others most often for their personal gain.

Jimbogf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Apr 2007, 9:49 pm

Aspies of today's world, raised and influenced in a NT society. Educated with NT methods. Emotionally inflicted from NT bigotry and cruelty. I believe aspies learn cruelty from NT's. Cruelty is hardwired into NT's, stemming from the animalistic instinct of dominance.
-Today's aspie personality type would make one crappy chaotic society.

A complete society of aspies raised by other aspies. Where education methods for aspies are perfected. NT behaviour is non-existent. Who knows what the -natural- uninfluenced personalities of aspies are actually like.
-This aspie personality type might work to make a good society. We may never know.

Yes, yes, I know what you are all probably thinking. "Aspies act as much as animals as NT's, thats absurd to believe that aspies act less like animals than NT's."

However, I remember seeing a thread on wrongplanet about how aspies may have a flawed or weak subconscious. Since social cues and body language are picked up through our subconscious, and aspies utterly suck at that. Human animalistic instincts, dominance, survival, reproduction etc (the real source of human motives and morals). These instincts are also based in our subconscious, wouldn't these instincts be weak as well?

Ugh, I suck at using words, did I make my points clear enough?

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2007, 10:06 pm

I'd say no. Many aspies (including me if I'm really mad) can be very blunt without knowing it, and that is something that drives me bisserk.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2007, 10:43 pm

I also voted no

It will be a disaster actually, not all aspies are the same and have different issues when it comes to social terms, I agree that we might drive each other crazy, and anything we say it will be always misinterpreted. Me, for example, l will still be afraid of facing people, specially aspies, I wouldn't know what to expect if another aspie I encounter gets mad because the person misunderstood me.

Also, for what I have observed in WP, there are a few aspies who might have antisocial tendencies, so there is always help needed from NTs.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2007, 10:51 pm

Whether successful or not, a society of all aspies would definitely be a very kind, gentle society.