How do you become good at video games?

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

marcb0t
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 5:01 pm

It takes picking up that controller, playing, dying, and dying a million times again and again. Until you die no more.

This is the only way I beat almost every Mario, Sonic, Zelda, and any classic Sega arcade game from the 80's and 90's. If you just don't like that concept, or are not willing to go through that, then simply don't play video games. Otherwise, perseverance and coordination is key to success.

As they say, if ya can't stand the heat, git out the kitchen. :P

nok
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Feb 2016, 4:27 pm

TheExodus wrote:
Is it a strategy game? If so, I think I know what your problem may be, as I feel I too am guilty of doing the exact same thing. I believe you're constantly approaching issues in the same fashion. It's tempting to do so, trust me, but try to deviate. I feel that this especially rings true on an Aspie site, where we are commonly going to approach these obstacles in ways we find most comfortable and familiar.

I'm making a lot of assumptions, I know. I just hope that, if I am correct in what I say, I'm at least partially accurate in what the problem is here and sincerely wish that it does help you forward.

Good luck. :D

That's my point of view, too.
Just playing more does not mean you will play better.
Take the way I play Smash Bros, for example: When I'm learning to fight as a character, I go to practice mode and try all the attacks and possible combos, then I try to remember the best according to the situation and finally I play four matches per day using that character. Only four. Well, sometimes five or six, but the key is that I can only learn so much optimally in a single session and find that those few matches make me learn more from my mistakes than if I were to play, like, 30 consecutive matches.

Most important things: Learn from your mistakes, learn from others' mistakes and be mentally prepared to learn.

If you're not willing to try new ways, you probably won't get your brain to want to learn as well, and you'll just find yourself repeating the same thing over and over only hoping to get it right sometimes.

There's no shame in not willing to learn games sometimes, so you could play on more easy settings. But the thrill of testing your skills against others is just undescribable.

I highlighted a lot, yeah, but I think it would be good to c:

Also, eat well. Eating healthy is good for you and for your gaming skills.

Nocturnus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Feb 2016, 11:58 pm

PC gaming is much more challenging than any casual console game. It is difficult to rate how good you are unless you play a game with a competitive community.

Counterstrike, League of Legends, Dota 2, just to name a few.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2016, 1:08 am

Nocturnus wrote:
PC gaming is much more challenging than any casual console game.

Not true.

PCs have just as many "casual" games as consoles do. If not MORE, due to the PC's monstrous library and the tendency for things along the lines of Facebook games to exist.
The very idea that "console = casual" is, frankly, more than a bit derpy. And some of the most difficult games ever created exist on console only, at least right now (I await ports of them, so I dont have to put up with the 360 anymore...).

Note that I'm mainly a PC gamer myself saying this, and I'm also a *very* competitive player, AND someone that tends to gravitate towards hyper-difficult games ("hyper difficult" usually translating to "bullet hell").

On PC, for competition? Sure, DOTA and League and whatnot. But on console? Fighting games are my big thing, and they get every bit as heated and difficult as any of the ones on PC (they also appear on PC sometimes, but in THOSE cases, they're always PORTS, not PC originals, with the obvious exception of Smash since it'll never show on PC). But this is the case with ANY competitive game of any sort. It doesnt matter if it's super complicated, like DOTA or a combo-based fighting game (Guilty Gear, for instance), or if it's something a bit simpler; when it comes to competition, what ACTUALLY matters is just one, and only one, thing: Skill. Yours VS your opponents. That's it.

"Hardcore" and "casual", as game descriptors, dont even come into play, when it comes to true competition. Only skill matters, and the balance of the game in question since it keeps players on an even field.