Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2015, 6:34 pm

so im currently training my dog to lay on me for compression. compression really calms me down, sometimes its the only thing that can help me (even if im not paniking when she lays on me i just feel so much more at piece) shes a big dog, shes a 65 pound labrador retriever/ golden retriever and its so nice when she lays on me.

i looked into service and therapy dogs before which is actually the reason i got her in the first place, ive had her for 2 years and shes 8 now. im wondering what it would take to get a therapy dog that i can take to school and other public places where i have panic attacks and sensory overloads. its gotten to the point where i cant go to school and work. i really need some options.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2015, 6:38 pm

google "therapy dog training" and take your dog to one nearby. the good ones are expensive. beware certificates that you can get without training.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2015, 7:24 pm

There's a legal distinction between therapy dogs and service dogs. Therapy dogs (sometimes called "emotional support animals") are allowed, via a doctor's prescription, into housing where other pets wouldn't be allowed, but they can't accompany you to public spaces (the exception being on flights, again via prescription). Service dogs are more highly trained than therapy dogs, and are used to meet specific needs and perform tasks to help mitigate a person's disability. You can apply for an autism service dog, but most agencies have their own dogs who they train from puppyhood, and won't train adult pet dogs, because a dog's temperament has to be right or they make poor working dogs. I hope you find what you're after. Good luck!

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2015, 7:33 pm

StarTrekker wrote:
There's a legal distinction between therapy dogs and service dogs. Therapy dogs (sometimes called "emotional support animals") are allowed, via a doctor's prescription, into housing where other pets wouldn't be allowed, but they can't accompany you to public spaces (the exception being on flights, again via prescription). Service dogs are more highly trained than therapy dogs, and are used to meet specific needs and perform tasks to help mitigate a person's disability. You can apply for an autism service dog, but most agencies have their own dogs who they train from puppyhood, and won't train adult pet dogs, because a dog's temperament has to be right or they make poor working dogs. I hope you find what you're after. Good luck!

...aaaand I have nothing left to type. Excellent posting, StarTrekker!

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2015, 8:38 pm

i found a program called MIRA in my area, they mostly specialize in Guide Dogs, Service dogs for those with physcial disabilities AND autism service dogs for children. i sent them a email explaining i am diagnosed with aspegers and anxiety and am no longer able to attend school because of it.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2015, 5:00 am

It was looked into for me both by my parents contacting local service dog agency and referral from my occupational therapist. It's a bit of a process. It was decided by me and them to hold off until I'm older and closer to maybe being on my own. For now I have a service cousin to look after me lol.