Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2015, 11:11 am

Yesterday when I went to check the temperature there was a headline screaming about the "drastic drop in temperature". Yes, it was a lot milder out the day before, but they made it sound like we're entering a second Ice Age when supposedly the opposite is happening .

The weather where I live changes very rapidly. That's just how it is. We can have all four seasons in one day and I'm pretty much used to it.

They also had another headline that said global warming in Canada is happening twice as fast. Okay I get it we're doomed and the polar bears will be extinct in a year or so.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2015, 10:56 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
Honestly, I don't know how other people can watch the news from beginning to end and not be completely suicidal afterwards. I've asked, but I never get a straight answer.

I've often wondered this myself.

But it's not just news on TVs. News on major news sites on the Net here can be just as bad, if not worse. I'm not even going to go into or describe one that I just saw, for fear of scaring the absolute hell out of anyone else on here. Absolutely freaking wish I hadnt looked at it myself.

I mean, I understand that sensationalism and exaggeration go hand-in-hand with news reports particularly here in the US. But every now and then there's one that goes too far to the point where, even knowing that, it's still just too freaking scary.

And I dont exactly check the news all that often. I cant even imagine how often stories like the one I just looked at must appear.

There's an old saying: "Some things are better left unknown". And with some of the things I've read at times on news sites, or seen on TV... yeah. I absolutely believe in that saying now.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2015, 11:21 am

^ Now I'm really curious what that news story was.

Personally I have never ever felt suicidal after watching news. Furious at times, but definitely not suicidal.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2015, 12:04 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
Yesterday when I went to check the temperature there was a headline screaming about the "drastic drop in temperature". Yes, it was a lot milder out the day before, but they made it sound like we're entering a second Ice Age when supposedly the opposite is happening .

The weather where I live changes very rapidly. That's just how it is. We can have all four seasons in one day and I'm pretty much used to it.

They also had another headline that said global warming in Canada is happening twice as fast. Okay I get it we're doomed and the polar bears will be extinct in a year or so.

Actually, y'all (and Siberia) are probably going to have all of the best climate and farm land for the next 500 years. So, get ready for the, "Close the borders!" news stories when all the "dirty americans" (as we Americans would say) come knocking at the door!

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2015, 12:15 pm

Skilpadde wrote:
Personally I have never ever felt suicidal after watching news. Furious at times, but definitely not suicidal.

Aye, same here.

Most of the time it usually just angers me, as a huge amount of stories (seemingly all of them, some times) are basically stories of "injustice" of various sorts, or general bigotry too. So yeah, very angering. I cant stand seeing people do that crap.

And then I have to go look at cat photos or something for awhile to dispel that.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2015, 3:21 am

I'm coming to the point where I don't want to know anything that is going on in the world. I'd rather live happily with pure ignorance to what is happening and focus on my special interests than focusing on the news, worrying, being negative and not focusing on my interests.

So all in all, pretty much when it hits 2016, I'm going completely dark for social media (too many SJW's for my liking, even when I try to avoid them) and just focusing on what makes me happy instead of what makes my mind negative.

Dennis Prichard
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Dec 2015, 8:25 am

I like science and technology news, its more constructive and positive and "new" I guess.

Politics, religion, this stuff is the same old jazz that has been going on forever.

And its actually more interesting, when ideals meant something and words meant something.