Can you recognize others on the spectrum?

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2015, 4:53 pm

If you come across another person on the spectrum whether its online on a forum or in life, would you be able to recognize that they are on the spectrum without them telling you, or even if they are not aware of it themselves? Is this a skill that you say you would possess?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2015, 7:24 pm

I believe I could tell if a person is a Spectrumite if I see that person in the street.

Not necessarily online.

Especially if the person has Classic Autism.

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2015, 7:36 pm

Real life:
I've known a guy at university who I'm reasonably sure has HFA, but I'd bet in many cases of HFA it can be hard to notice. Sometimes I wonder though...
LFA is more obvious.

Internet:
Hard to tell.
Sometimes I get that "vibe"... but it could just be a troll. So I assume it's a troll until proven otherwise.

xile123
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Nov 2015, 7:57 pm

Ever since becoming aware of my condition and knowing what I experience was considered a "disorder" and doing a lot of reading on the subject I'd say I've gotten pretty good at spotting it in others and even thinking back to people I knew in the past that were aspies but I didn't really understand it was but now all the details and traits stand out like a sore thumb.

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2015, 9:47 pm

I'm pretty good at being able to tell if somebody I'm talking to has Asperger's; one giveaway is that they actually want to be my friend. However, I can't tell if it's only by their body language. I was talking to my therapist last week about this, because I feel that there's some way people can detect my Asperger's before I even open my mouth.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2015, 9:50 pm

Not online except from videos. But I have seen people who appear to be autistic.
I could tell this guy was autistic before he mentioned it, not because he likes cats, but because of his personality:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... 21YtuOrKRI

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2015, 10:21 pm

Most of my social interactions in my life happen online, so I find I am better at detecting ASD online than in real life. If I follow enough posts or I have enough text/IM conversations I can usually pick out who has ASD. Lots of the time, when I ask them, they reveal that they are on the spectrum.

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2015, 10:37 pm

I have noticed that the few times I send text messages, I do it in a unique manner. According to other people, I write like I'm actually talking to them in person instead of behind a keyboard. I wonder if that's how a lot of other Aspies do it too.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2015, 3:25 am

In real life? yes, i think so.
There are certain mannerisms that are obvious, once you know what to look for; the way they look at the world, a certain 'disconnect' in vision while walking from A to B, that kind of things.

Online? not so much, only seeing redacted typed words hides most, if not all, autistic traits

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2015, 4:14 am

It depends. I could once tell that this one guy was on the spectrum the second I saw him. He eventually confirmed it. There's probably people I missed, but I can't really tell. There was this girl who seemed to be on the spectrum. She seemed kind of spacey and shy, but it was never confirmed.

On the internet it's a bit harder for me. Some people on the spectrum write like NTs and some NTs have a very "nerdy" writing style. There's this one man on last.fm who I suspect is on the spectrum. He seemed to deeply analyze music. Music seemed like a special interest. When I saw photos of him he had an autistic look to him. I'm not sure if he confirmed was autistic or not, but I think he mentioned it once.

Lonehiker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Nov 2015, 4:36 am

As a teacher I can usually detect it. Through experience I can identify certain personality types and behaviours. Usually if I think someone is on the spectrum, I will look it up on the group profile and most of the time I am right.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2015, 5:11 am

Only males on spectrum. Females with Asperger's seem to be more subtle and I see something's a little off but it doesn't scream out Asperger's.

Cockroach96
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2015, 5:35 am

I can recognize other spectrumites on sight, but only in real life.

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Nov 2015, 5:36 am

Everyone in IT

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2015, 10:11 am

I have yet to identify someone else on the Spectrum.

SnailHail wrote:
Everyone in IT

I have worked in IT for many, many years. The people in IT definitely seem more similar to me than people in other functional area - like accounting, hr, sales, marketing, operations, manufacturing, etc. As all of us can sit behind a computer all day, talking to no one. And, when we do have discussions, it's mostly about work. Other than that, I don't see a lot of similarities.

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2015, 10:14 am

DevilKisses wrote:
It depends. I could once tell that this one guy was on the spectrum the second I saw him. He eventually confirmed it. There's probably people I missed, but I can't really tell. There was this girl who seemed to be on the spectrum. She seemed kind of spacey and shy, but it was never confirmed.

On the internet it's a bit harder for me. Some people on the spectrum write like NTs and some NTs have a very "nerdy" writing style. There's this one man on last.fm who I suspect is on the spectrum. He seemed to deeply analyze music. Music seemed like a special interest. When I saw photos of him he had an autistic look to him. I'm not sure if he confirmed was autistic or not, but I think he mentioned it once.

What would you define as an "autistic" look?