Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2015, 1:21 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/sco ... bf3df1ba66

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2015, 6:42 pm

Although Scotland has a good record of accepting refugees and making them welcome,it's by no means a case
of 'open doors'.
All the refugees have come directly from camps and been thoroughly vetted by both the UN and UK security to
confirm they are genuinely vulnerable victims of the conflicts -they are mostly families with children.It's understandable
that some countries have reservations about exactly who they accept.
There has also been a small minority of the usual trolls on social media exclaiming their opposition,but government and local communities will ensure the refugees receive all the support they need.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2015, 7:29 pm

...BTW , as I'm speaking to(immediately above me) a Brit here , it is my understanding that the US state governors (almost all Republicans) who have done the " Don't send 'em HERE ! " schtick have no real authority to stop them !
They cannot interfere (I suppose they could " stand in the way " for a while/try to show that they're trying to stop it??), even if it's partly federal govenment-connected , with reasonable relocation , and , anyway , non-governmental (often religiously-linked) non-profits actually do much of the relocating (Even if with some federal/lower governmental help) , IIRC...
And they must , surely , know that......... :( ...........

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

18 Nov 2015, 7:37 pm

ASS-P wrote:
...BTW , as I'm speaking to(immediately above me) a Brit here , it is my understanding that the US state governors (almost all Republicans) who have done the " Don't send 'em HERE ! " schtick have no real authority to stop them !
They cannot interfere (I suppose they could " stand in the way " for a while/try to show that they're trying to stop it??), even if it's partly federal govenment-connected , with reasonable relocation , and , anyway , non-governmental (often religiously-linked) non-profits actually do much of the relocating (Even if with some federal/lower governmental help) , IIRC...

No, the states do not have that power but neither does the president. Only congress has the authority to decide whether or not to resettle refugees to this country so if the president tries to act unilaterally then these state governors are well with in their right to make these declarations.

Scotland can welcome all the refugees they want, if they are so compassionate they should take all they can logistically handle or else who are they to try to get up on a pedestal? What are you trying to prove? Lets see how much compassion the Scots have if they suffered a terrorist attack.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2015, 7:51 pm

Yes , Syrian refugess should be vetted , etc. , but (And , of course , the " the-president-must-not-start " reqirement is ENDLESSLY winked at...) , as far as I'm concerned , those governors who are playing more-Trump-than-thou are simply trying to Tea Party/play on bigotry (Hey , maybe they're trying to get a lil' more mileage from " Obama's a Kenyan Muslim ! " , in a subtle manner , before it has to be retired entirely ! !! !! !! !! :P) , as...) oh , 80% of their motivation ? More like 90% ? 95 ? MAYBE just 85 :lol: !

te="Jacoby"]

ASS-P wrote:

No, the states do not have that power but neither does the president. Only congress has the authority to decide whether or not to resettle refugees to this country so if the president tries to act unilaterally then these state governors are well with in their right to make these declarations.

Scotland can welcome all the refugees they want, if they are so compassionate they should take all they can logistically handle or else who are they to try to get up on a pedestal? What are you trying to prove? Lets see how much compassion the Scots have if they suffered a terrorist attack.[/quote]

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2015, 2:42 am

Jacoby wrote:
Scotland can welcome all the refugees they want, if they are so compassionate they should take all they can logistically handle or else who are they to try to get up on a pedestal? What are you trying to prove? Lets see how much compassion the Scots have if they suffered a terrorist attack.

Er... Lockerbie 1988,Glasgow Airport 2007 ...

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

19 Nov 2015, 8:24 am

pluto wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

Er... Lockerbie 1988,Glasgow Airport 2007 ...

Well Lockerbie did kill mostly Americans and you also let the Lockerbie bomber go so he could have a nice retirement in Libya as a hero before he died. Scotland seems pretty confused, what was the point of that whole independence referendum if they want to become a slave to the EU and join this multiculti club? You look at Sweden and say that's how I want to do it? I don't get it but I guess that's why it lost.