Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2015, 1:26 pm

It wasn't on my radar when the housing need for Syrian refugees first arose, but doesn't the United States presently "host" over 12 million Mexican, Central American, and Asian refugees? True, most of them crossed the U.S. boarder illegally, but how much can our economy and populace endure????

But did anyone hear of any European countries offering to take a few million families off our hands? And now they want us to take more of their local refugees?????

I'd oppose this on humanitarian reasons because eventually the present war will end, dictators, deposed, etc. and these refugees will/may want to return to their home land, which is easy, for them and their children, if it's only a long walk away. I don't think we should complicate this mess any more than it is. Let the E.U. take care of their own "local" refugees.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2015, 3:41 pm

By international law, the US is only obliged to take in European refugees, unlike Europe and the Levant.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conventio ... f_Refugees

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2015, 3:47 pm

The U.S. and Russia caused most of the problem that let to the current world situations, over the course of the cold war.
The U.S. is at partial fault for the Syrian crisis due to the mishandling of Iraq, which lead to the unintentional creation of ISIS and others.

Though Israel, Turkey, Saudi Arabia and a few other allies have been funding and arming ISIS and other terrorist factions in Syria, while Russia has been helping Assad stay in power.

The U.S. with help from Canada, Mexico, Europe and Australia heavily meddled in Central and South America, leading to horrible destabilization and rise of drug lords.

With that said... The Hospitality and Food services industries would literally collapse overnight if all the Illegal immigrant and refugees were sent home. Both industries are heavily dependent on their cheap and free labor.
U.S. benefits greatly while Canada benefits somewhat.

The EU is negotiating the terms of payment to Turkey, Lebanon, and Jordan to take back the Syrian and Iraqi refugees and stop the flow of new ones.
The indigenous populations in Europe are sick of immigration and refugees.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2015, 4:31 pm

ZenDen wrote:
It wasn't on my radar when the housing need for Syrian refugees first arose, but doesn't the United States presently "host" over 12 million Mexican, Central American, and Asian refugees? True, most of them crossed the U.S. boarder illegally, but how much can our economy and populace endure????

But did anyone hear of any European countries offering to take a few million families off our hands? And now they want us to take more of their local refugees?????

I'd oppose this on humanitarian reasons because eventually the present war will end, dictators, deposed, etc. and these refugees will/may want to return to their home land, which is easy, for them and their children, if it's only a long walk away. I don't think we should complicate this mess any more than it is. Let the E.U. take care of their own "local" refugees.

Immigrants and refugees are not quite the same thing...you're mixing two different issues together. And the refugees aren't local to Europe, not to mention the U.S has helped destabilize the region responsible for these refugees, which thus means we share responsibility...any country that was involved in the Iraq war does.

And yeah I imagine a lot of them would desire returning home, once its not essentially suicide to do so.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2015, 4:55 pm

We helped make this mess; it is my opinion that we have a humanitarian and moral obligation to help deal with the consequences. Whether that consists of bringing them here or of making it attractive for more local countries to absorb them, I really don't care.

I do believe that those who can fight (young men AND women) should be made to do so. IS et al aren't going to go away of their own accord. I constantly b***h at Christians to police the cancer within Christianity. It is not less incumbent upon Muslims and Arabs to police the cancer within Islam and the Arab world. IS et al need to be forcibly put down. Islam can supply some of the manpower to do that.

In other politically incorrect thoughts, knowing that IS fighters would be more than happy to hide among refugees, I do believe that refugees will have to accept being held in "processing centers" until their status as non-terrorists can be satisfactorily verified. Yes, I acknowledge that "processing centers" is a euphemism for internment camps. OH WELL. Were I fleeing Syria with my kids in tow, I think I'd be grateful for a dormitory-style bed, three square halal meals a day, a makeshift mosque, and a place where my kids can get an education, all in a country where NO ONE IS SHOOTING AT ME.

I don't believe we need to go to the extremes of Manzanar and all the injustices perpetrated against Japanese-Americans during WWII (Google it if your history classes sucked that much). That was naked xenophobia and a shameless grab for wealth and property. Suggestions that Muslim/Arab-Americans already in the country should be likewise interred, without evidence of any terroristic sympathies, should be contemptuously ignored. Harassment of people because of Islamic faith or Arabic ethnicity should be treated as hate crimes.

While we're talking about incumbent changes...

I also believe that it is incumbent upon the West to cease and desist in engaging in political and economic manipulations and machinations designed to ensure a continued supply of cheap oil, and to let the progeny of the sons of Abraham/Abram work out their differences without our interference.

If we can't pay a fair market price for oil (in a market that has not been deviously and unethically manipulated), it is only responsible to expect us to develop our own resources, develop alternative resources, or do without. Households have to do it all the time. Governments and countries should be no different. It would, in the long run, benefit our social, political, and economic stability.

It is SO neither our right nor our responsibility to intervene in what amounts to a millennia-old dispute about the distribution of the estate of Abram/Abraham. I won't say I hold my stepmother's sister no ill will, but I can say that I hope I'm mature enough to pass her in public without instigating further conflict. We've had half a decade. They've had multiple millennia. They really should have managed to let bygones be bygones by now.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2015, 6:17 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
ZenDen wrote:

Immigrants and refugees are not quite the same thing...you're mixing two different issues together. And the refugees aren't local to Europe, not to mention the U.S has helped destabilize the region responsible for these refugees, which thus means we share responsibility...any country that was involved in the Iraq war does.

And yeah I imagine a lot of them would desire returning home, once its not essentially suicide to do so.
:mrgreen:

I think "illegal" in this country mostly means "economic refugee.". The way the difference between rich (and there are many, usually called the "ruling class" or such) and poor, in so many countries, is so great these people look to the U.S. as their only hope for change. I'm not against this, but the people who have all the money/control seem to think the cheapest method (for them) to accomplish this is to let incoming people pay the freight, then call them illegal (for control, like low wages, etc.) rather than increase legal immigration, which might cost them some of their riches (unless they work for google or similar.