Men Want to Fix Things but Women Don't?

Page 3 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2015, 5:24 am

^Our ape-like ancestors generalized that the lions would want to eat them. Generalization gives an evolutionary advantage for survival:p.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2015, 5:29 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
^Our ape-like ancestors generalized that the lions would want to eat them. Generalization gives an evolutionary advantage for survival:p.

I never said generalisations are useless, but relying solely on them is incredibly stupid and will work against you, particularly in today's world.

Varelse
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Nov 2015, 1:45 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
^
That's actually correct. It was a bit of a knee jerk reaction on my part earlier, as it seemed to imply "hey, I'm conditioned to generalise, so you can't blame me for thinking all women are b*****s and all men are pigs, because I've met a few who are". Probably read to much into it, although plenty of people follow such train of thinking without even realising it.

What I actually meant was that people who rely solely on generalisations and the simplistic binary thinking they have been taught in school, are doing themselves a great disservice. Their understanding of the world and people will unavoidably be very fragmentary and superficial and their own preconceived ideas and expectations will work against them when trying to establish a connection with others.

A philosopher once said "the exception does not confirm the rule, but creates a new one". If you have an odd foot, you look for the odd shoe, the normal ones will hurt your feet and drive you crazy. This is what seems to happen to a lot of people here who try to date or befriend "normal" people.

Edited to add, I totally agree, well said.

Last edited by Varelse on 20 Nov 2015, 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

looniverse
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Nov 2015, 2:53 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

CHOMP, chimp

AR1500
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Nov 2015, 2:56 am

superpentil wrote:
One of the weird things my dad once told me was that when it comes to fights or disagreements men immediately try to fix things and sometimes that's not what women want. So far in my experience this seems to be true. I'll run into a relationship bump, and then offer ways to make things better, but all she seems to want in that moment is a hug, or could use a hug. I'll state my list, and she'll seem distant.

Why is this seemingly true? Maybe I just suck?

IDK about you but I like hugs and I'm quite found of women who just want a good hug after a relationship bump. My ex would resist hugging and touching whenever she was upset and would scream at me "you're not putting me at ease!". What she wanted was for me to play therapist and know exactly the right words that would soothe her and nothing I said seemed to work.

But when there's a conflict in the relationship, trying to fix things and work things out diplomatically IS all about maintaining social harmony! My ex has no interest in harmony but in getting what she wanted when she wanted(she was a narcissist to the extreme). A big reason women don't want to work things out whether it be a hug or a coming to a rational agreement is that they're testing your ability to deal with relationship stress.

AR1500
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Nov 2015, 3:04 am

BenderRodriguez wrote:
looniverse wrote:

Human beings are hard wired to generalize.

Human beings are conditioned to generalise.

Evidence, please?

Generalizing is a big part of the human learning process and I've observed that people do it unconsciously unless they're specifically taught not to do so. The only way to avoid generalizing and treat people as individuals is when you have the ability to read people and intuitively assess what they're likely to respond to and infer how they think.

The trouble is, most people are strangers and you simply won't have the opportunity to get to know them well enough to learn what makes them tick. You simply have to follow a set of rules and be able to adapt your response when someone's behavior doesn't fit the model you have in your brain.

Many people aren't actually aware of why they respond to things they way they do and what their motivations are because they cannot be bothered to really examine themselves so asking them to explain themselves is not going to get you anywhere. And people also will consciously conceal their motives and what makes them tick in order to protect themselves from manipulators.

EVERYONE generalizes, but some people are better at concealing it. Openly promulgating generalizations produces a negative response from people....And that's a generalization. 8)

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2015, 3:56 am

That's a perfect example of black and white thinking right here. What I said (repeatedly) is that generalisation shouldn't be THE ONLY method one uses, and some read it as "generalisations should never be used" :chin:

Yes, generalisation is a useful, sometimes even necessary tool. These days social interactions and rules became quite complex and refined, including significant cultural differences, and I see very often huge misunderstandings and conflicts resulting from one or both parties making assumptions about each others values, wants and preferences based on "most people are like that".

I have no problems treating people as individuals from the start. I try to put aside whatever ideas I might have already formed about their gender, nationality, age and so on, and encourage them to talk while paying close attention to their body language and facial expressions (this can be learned) and the general way they react and talk to me. It's a good place to start. The devil is in the details and this method worked very well for me along the years in assessing my possible compatibility with someone, both as a friend or a lover. It also proved very useful in avoiding what I used to consider inexplicable or unjustified hostility or other negative reactions towards me.

Now, before the damn captcha gives me a stroke, I'm off to enjoy my weekend and wish you the same :D

AR1500
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Nov 2015, 4:02 am

BenderRodriguez wrote:
That's a perfect example of black and white thinking right here. What I said (repeatedly) is that generalisation shouldn't be THE ONLY method one uses, and some read it as "generalisations should never be used" :chin:

Yes, generalisation is a useful, sometimes even necessary tool. These days social interactions and rules became quite complex and refined, including significant cultural differences, and I see very often huge misunderstandings and conflicts resulting from one or both parties making assumptions about each others values, wants and preferences based on "most people are like that".

I have no problems treating people as individuals from the start. I try to put aside whatever ideas I might have already formed about their gender, nationality, age and so on, and encourage them to talk while paying close attention to their body language and facial expressions (this can be learned) and the general way they react and talk to me. It's a good place to start. The devil is in the details and this method worked very well for me along the years in assessing my possible compatibility with someone, both as a friend or a lover. It also proved very useful in avoiding what I used to consider inexplicable or unjustified hostility or other negative reactions towards me.

Now, before the damn captcha gives me a stroke, I'm off to enjoy my weekend and wish you the same :D

Generalizations aren't binary absolutes; and that's what many idealists don't understand. Most =/= all. It's all about the fuzzy logic.
If >> 50% of people with certain traits tend to behave a certain way, then you can generalize and safely assume that they will be like that until you encounter an exception. Remember that just because something is possible doesn't mean it is likely. You assume the most likely possibility but you realize that it's not a guarantee.

The way to get what you want from people is to pay less attention to what they say and more attention to what they respond to. And yes, this works well for men with women and for women with men.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2015, 12:45 pm

Yep we want to fix things! :lol:

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

23 Nov 2015, 7:59 pm

I want to fix things & sometimes my girlfriend just wants me to listen. We're both on the spectrum btw.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition