Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2015, 11:27 am

I have heard that doctors do not stop for themselves the information they learn during medical interview.

For instance I have in the past had epilepsy, the doctor said about it because I need to have all the tests I wanted to take some jobs.

But apparently the doctor is obliged to notify the (powiatowy)district department transportation if I wanted to take a driving course, or God forbid pilot licenses :-)

So it looks like in Poland, as a mental illness, drugs or pedophilia :-(
Although the latter could agree.

For comparison, if I went to a priest to confess, and said he smoked marijuana :-)
The priest can absolve me, or not, to give repentance and here ends.
Not earns additionally as a paid informer government

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2015, 5:41 pm

Medical records aren't "secret" they are personal, there is a differnce. You are protected by the data protection / privacy laws of the jurisdiction which gives confidentiality from public domain.

Doctors have to follow the law, so they don't disclose your personal details expect as part of their medical duty, or as the law requires.

So they are required to disclose, if you are medical unfit to dive or fly a plane.

The key point about medical records is the are identifying. Any identifying information must be treated specially. it is not that it can't be passed on, simply there is rule about how it is passed on, how it is held, etc.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2015, 3:49 am

Some information is relevant and should be known to authorities.
Indeed, epilepsy is a big issue for operating vehicles (especially airplanes), so it is only logical that these are relayed.

If i were on a plane with a pilot who has had epileptic attacks before, i'd want the co-pilot to know this, so he can take charge on the slightest hint of a new seisure.

As 0_equals stated: they are private and personal, which means they are not revealed to people, only to 'positions'. the DMV is a position, not a person, under the law, so they are allowed to be notified of (specific and relevant) entries in your medical file (not all of them though, any STD, for example, is irrelevant for driving, so the DMV won't hear about it)

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2015, 7:51 am

izzeme wrote:
Indeed, epilepsy is a big issue for operating vehicles (especially airplanes), so it is only logical that these are relayed.

If i were on a plane with a pilot who has had epileptic attacks before, i'd want the co-pilot to know this, so he can take charge on the slightest hint of a new seisure.

As 0_equals stated: they are private and personal, which means they are not revealed to people, only to 'positions'. the DMV is a position, not a person, under the law, so they are allowed to be notified of (specific and relevant) entries in your medical file (not all of them though, any STD, for example, is irrelevant for driving, so the DMV won't hear about it)

I heard that in my country, Poland where i live doctor can and is obligated by Polish law to inform depart of transpiration of the Powiat (County/Borough) Council if someone had epilepsy, but as i learned from my doctor he can but he not need authority if someone who had epilepsy in past is currently seizure free from more than two years and not take any drugs.

I heard that you need to be seizure free for two years to apply for driver license.

I wonder why is problem for driver license and no go for pilot license, even if someone not have any such problems for years!

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2015, 8:44 am

izzeme wrote:

So there is no such thing as confidentiality of personal data, you might as well priest would go to report to the tax office that the penitent does not pay taxes, or reported to the county council that he/she drove a car under the influence of alcohol and should be given person retested for the absence contraindication to drive.
It seems that the priests are better than doctors, are not such snitch as doctors :mrgreen:

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2015, 10:00 am

In Scotland there was a recent case of a commercial vehicle driver who passed out while driving and mounted the pavement.

As a result 6 people died, 3 of these were from the same family, and 15 were injured, some with permanent life changing injuries.

The driver had a history of blackouts dating back to the 1970's, including once before while driving a bus. He lied to company doctors and his GP and failed to disclose this issue whenever he applied for his commercial driving licences.

Motor vehicles can be deadly, a person should not take those responsibilities lightly. People with medical issues such as this, deserve to be 'snitched' on if they cannot be trusted.

2014 Glasgow bin lorry crash