Does being left wing go hand in hand with Asperger's?

Page 1 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Ellykeeling
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Nov 2015, 12:59 pm

Just wondering. I have AS and I couldn't possibly view the world through right wing spectacles. Having said that, I was brought up by staunch Guardian readers (left wing newspaper in the UK) so perhaps it's more to do with my upbringing. I am also an atheist and have difficulty with the concept of God. Again, I wonder if this is just me or if it is a common trait amongst Aspies.

A penny for your thoughts... :D

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2015, 1:15 pm

I'm not left-wing. My hard-earned money are mine.

Starfoxx
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2015, 1:32 pm

It's funny because only an hour ago I was wondering are people more likely to be far left or far right rather than the middle on the spectrum.

Sovek
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Nov 2015, 1:41 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong here but, isnt left wing in the UK right wing in the US?

Me, I fall very hard on the right wing spectrum over here. You know, a persons worth is measured by their actions and should take responsibility for their actions. They shouldn't get special privileges because of the color of their skin, or sex (see affirmitive action). I believe you should get to keep more of your money, regardless of how much you have. I believe in the right to bear arms because the only ones who care about gun laws are the criminals, and you should have the ability to oppose an oppressive government. You have the right to free speech... REGARDLESS of what you say, even if it "hurts" other people.

You know, basic human rights.

Starfoxx
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2015, 1:58 pm

I don't fall on either side

Last edited by Starfoxx on 20 Nov 2015, 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2015, 2:05 pm

What I earn is mine, what I own is mine, and what I produce is mine. I am one man married to one woman. I live by my labors, and not on hand-outs. Ability and willingness to earn a living count more in education, hiring, and promotion than do skin color, gender identity, sex at birth, and ethnicity.

Nope! Not a liberal!

:D

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Neuron9
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Nov 2015, 2:14 pm

From the responses here, clearly there is no link between AS and which side of the political spectrum a person falls ;) I am far left, and Aspie. Interdependency is important; we need to work together. We need to focus more on education and eliminating poverty, and spend less on military. We don't need high security (eliminating personal freedoms and instilling fear) from police and surveillance; we need better social supports and a better education system which is available to everybody who is willing to learn.

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2015, 2:17 pm

Left wing is stuff like labour and snp and things more extreme right?

If so I am not left wing in the slightest. I'm more a little right wing, I think. I'm not too sure politics is confusing.

Sovek
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Nov 2015, 2:32 pm

Starfoxx wrote:
Agree with most of above except 'right to bare arms'

It's not a human right to carry a gun but that's your culture.

Some right wingers think 'nobody should get special treatment because of their skin colour' means that they come before people of other races; but if white Americans come first then that is special treatment so it does not make sense if meant that way.

I couldn't be right wing knowing the things I do now.

What I mean is you should not get a free pass on crap because you are a woman or minority. For example, A woman cries that she was "raped", she is believed and the man is guilty until proven innocent, see one case where a woman did say that, for fear of "loosing her friends" cause she did some crap while drunk. The guy, who did nothing wrong, was convicted and sent to prison, would still be there if she didn't have a massive guilty conscious and actually WORK on getting him released. The idiot bleeding heart DA was convinced that the truth was a lie and the lie was truth.

Now, imagine if this were reversed. How well do you think THAT would have gone down.

And I think this video pretty much sums up my views on the matter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N0MKuoTb5A

And as far as minorities go... Well.... just look up TNN News Raw. Just imagine if the races were reversed.

luan78zao
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Nov 2015, 2:45 pm

Although I wouldn't have been able to express it, even as a kid I thought that all interactions among adults should be voluntary. That people in groups don't acquire rights they lacked as individuals. That no individual or group ought to be sacrificed in the name of some alleged "greater good."

So … no.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission – which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." – Ayn Rand

Ellykeeling
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Nov 2015, 2:56 pm

Yeah, left wing in the UK means supporting a labour government. The central theme is equality - people should all have the same opportunities, regardless of wealth or status and everyone should pay more tax so we can all have access to health care, public transport, etc. Liberal-mindedness.

Thanks guys, answers my question, anyway!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2015, 3:32 pm

Have a look at the politics and religion section. A lot of conservatives and Libertarians there.
The majority of the left in the USA is to right of most conservatives in other democracies.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

xile123
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Nov 2015, 4:06 pm

I'm more of a moderate tbh.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2015, 4:16 pm

Fnord wrote:
What I earn is mine, what I own is mine, and what I produce is mine. I am one man married to one woman. I live by my labors, and not on hand-outs. Ability and willingness to earn a living count more in education, hiring, and promotion than do skin color, gender identity, sex at birth, and ethnicity.

Nope! Not a liberal!

:D

Frank Zappa wrote:
In every language, the first word after "Mama!" that every kid learns to say is "Mine!" A system that doesn't allow ownership, that doesn't allow you to say "Mine!" when you grow up, has, to put it mildly, a fatal design flaw.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2015, 5:44 pm

Sovek wrote:
Starfoxx wrote:
Agree with most of above except 'right to bare arms'

It's not a human right to carry a gun but that's your culture.

Some right wingers think 'nobody should get special treatment because of their skin colour' means that they come before people of other races; but if white Americans come first then that is special treatment so it does not make sense if meant that way.

I couldn't be right wing knowing the things I do now.

What I mean is you should not get a free pass on crap because you are a woman or minority. For example, A woman cries that she was "raped", she is believed and the man is guilty until proven innocent, see one case where a woman did say that, for fear of "loosing her friends" cause she did some crap while drunk. The guy, who did nothing wrong, was convicted and sent to prison, would still be there if she didn't have a massive guilty conscious and actually WORK on getting him released. The idiot bleeding heart DA was convinced that the truth was a lie and the lie was truth.

Now, imagine if this were reversed. How well do you think THAT would have gone down.

And I think this video pretty much sums up my views on the matter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N0MKuoTb5A

And as far as minorities go... Well.... just look up TNN News Raw. Just imagine if the races were reversed.

Sovek, I hear these arguments a lot by people who aren't very familiar with struggles of people who are females or minorities. I'm going to talk to you about women in this case, though the same applies to minorities in some ways.

First, this woman who cries "rape" as you described does exist somewhere, to be sure. I am not about to argue that she doesn't. What I am about to explain to you is that she is statistically very rare, because she has to be in order to be successful. It is true, so long as there is a functioning society, there will always be 'cheaters' such as this woman, trying to exploit others in order to get ahead. This isn't just true of humans, but many other species as well. In order for this type of behavior to be successful though, it must be rare. In other words, if she yells "RAPE" and people tend to believe her more than they would a man, it's because 83% of sexual assaults that occur in the united states are man on woman. Why don't we hear about deceptive men yelling "RAPE" when they have not been raped? Is it because they are less prone to being dishonest than women? No. It's because people would find that scenario unlikely, and he would be unlikely to get enough momentum to support his deception. Now, let's go back to that 83% of sexual assault victims who are women. You are suggesting that because of this rare woman in the population, we should reduce measures that protect in the vicinity of 83% of rape victims. I do not agree with this. Regardless of what your ideals are, in real life numbers, this is not logical.

You see, when you make this claim, that no one should get a "free pass" because they are female or a minority, you are assuming that either one of two things is happening the majority of the time: 1. that the woman or minority in question is being deceptive, 2. women and minorities are currently on equal footing with white men, and are trying to jump ahead using this platform of civil rights.

Well, we already discussed why 1 is not true. As for 2. Well, no, that's not true either. In the US women and minorities are paid less, have higher health insurance, have lower literacy rates, are more likely to become single parents, and are vastly underrepresented in governments across the board.

These are not feelings, these are not claims. These are undisputed numbers. This should not be a partisan issue. It benefits everyone to have a healthy functioning society.

One last thing: whether a man harms a woman, or a woman harms a man, both of these scenarios are morally reprehensible. Furthermore, it is true that because of our machismo culture, men who are sexually abused are less likely to report it. But you see, these two things are part of the same problem. You don't have to choose between going after men-being-told-not-to-talk-feelings OR women-who-want-fewer-rapes. By fighting to take gender steriotypes out of the equation in the work place and in government and in recreational settings, we benefit both of these parties actually.

Sovek
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Nov 2015, 6:23 pm

Citation needed. You make all these claims and dont show and studies to back up the claim. There are reasons women's health insurance premiums are higher, because they are a higher risk to unsure and incur higher medical expenses, due to their biology. I'm sure you as a female don't need me to explain how much more AT RISK you are for any number of problems you might face, then men either can't have, or are far less likely. In regards to car insurance, women are more likely to spend LESS than their male counterparts, especially under the age of 25, because more men under the age of 25 get into accidents then women.

In a similar aspect, men pay more for life insurance, because men are far more likely to die prematurely due accidents, especially in the workplace. Right now, 95% of workers killed in the workplace are men... Granted more of them are men, but we also do some of the most dangerous jobs around the world.

We are also more at risk for a heart attack then women, and expected lifetime is less. Cause white male privilage.

Men really need to sue companies over that /s

Re: Minorities and women earning less. This is probably true, but for different reasons. See, most often these "studies" involve over the lifetime of the individual. Most men will work their entire life right up until retirement, and then still work. Women however, will spend some time out of the workforce due to having children, and needing to take several years off of work to care for the young child, because its the natural thing to do. In regards to the minorities, this is mostly due to a lack of education, which they can get (assuming they are a US citizen). The problem of why they don't is either they are unable due to being illegal, or don't try. In regards to the whole black population, Most young black men I've met are not going to college, and don't care about college. This is probably from a lack of parental involvement and not willing to try get them to go to college. Alot of black men I interact with have no use for knowledge and don't have interest in it.

And I will get you a paper for that "83%" bs while I'm at work, I gotta find it first.