What do you think about right to self defense

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Apr 2010
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,755
Location: Wroclaw, Poland

20 Nov 2015, 5:28 pm

I heard that many people here in Europe and America tech their kids to not fightback once attacked, some said that Our Lord tech us "Turn the other cheek" ( I don't know does google translated this well ;) )

Meanwhile, I believe in more Old Testament methods if you knew what i mean :mrgreen:

I wonder why the card to be good kids, not provocateurs, in my country fortunately does not yet have such absurdities as in England or America.
Although in my country criminals are paradoxically more protected than the victim.
For example, when the Polish police rarely use their service weapons, because they are scrupulously accountable for its use.
It's stupid that law-abiding people no matter whether children in school or adults have fewer rights than criminals.
Kids should have the right to defend on school grounds, adults (of course only those who do not break the law) should have unfettered access as it is in America, and the police should not be afraid that it will use as their service weapons it will have trouble.



Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Feb 2014
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,007
Location: Australia

21 Nov 2015, 1:32 am

I support it, in fact I believe even countries that support self-defense are too soft on the people and unfair.

I believe you should be able to hurt someone 2 or 3 times harder than they hurt you, but in most countries it seemseven if it's in self-defense, you still have no right to be brutal on those who do harm to you.

Self-defense I've noticed in most countries is doing the bare minimum to incapacitate or disable an opponent and nothing more.

Nuts to that! If someone has begun to inflict physical harm on you in any way, why don't you have any right to teach them a lesson?

Stopping someone from hurting you is not the same as revenge.



Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Mar 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,694
Location: Southeast U.S.A.

21 Nov 2015, 11:25 am

f**k turning the other cheek. That's about the most irresponsible advice anyone can give.


_________________
“Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.”
- William F. Buckley


MonsterCrack
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 1 Jul 2015
Age: 21
Posts: 735
Location: John's Creek, Georgia

21 Nov 2015, 11:33 am

I agree, everyone has the right to self-defense....



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 45,401
Location: Stendec

21 Nov 2015, 11:37 am

Only bullies and tyrants will deny your right to defend yourself.


_________________
TRE45ON!!
Anyone attempting to argue in defense of Donald Trump automatically loses the argument.


0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Apr 2007
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,038
Location: London

21 Nov 2015, 11:53 am

I'm for the right to defend yourself. Unless it make no sense such as where you are using you judgment to survive. There is no easy answer in that case, you are make in a judgment call. Sometimes it don't make sense to fight. You could consider all survival strategy as part of self defense because the objective is to protect yourself. Sometime you have to run.

Most legal systems recognise self denence, they don't necessarily recognize the nature of threat on a individual and when you are still in danger.

In my experience people are often taught very hypothetical first person scenarios about how and when to defend themselves that don't really play out that way in reality. Often their gut reaction is better then this advice, of course they can freeze also but this applies to any situation.

On the same level people aslo need to put thing in to perspective. There are many other threat besides other humans.



pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Apr 2010
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,755
Location: Wroclaw, Poland

21 Nov 2015, 2:48 pm

Si vis pacem, para bellum
My favorite Latin proverb :D



AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 23 Nov 2006
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 57,480
Location: Portland, Oregon

21 Nov 2015, 3:21 pm

Everyone has the right to defend themselves. It is a human right.


_________________
Silly NTs, I have Aspergers, and having Aspergers is gr-r-reat!


Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Mar 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,694
Location: Southeast U.S.A.

21 Nov 2015, 3:46 pm

pawelk1986 wrote:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
My favorite Latin proverb :D



One of mine, too.
:wtg:


_________________
“Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.”
- William F. Buckley


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 45,401
Location: Stendec

21 Nov 2015, 3:54 pm

pawelk1986 wrote:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Percutiet Potenter et Percutiet Saepe.


_________________
TRE45ON!!
Anyone attempting to argue in defense of Donald Trump automatically loses the argument.


LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Oct 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,195
Location: USA

21 Nov 2015, 4:03 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Everyone has the right to defend themselves. It is a human right.

Tell that to George Zimmerman.



ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Jul 2013
Age: 78
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,730
Location: On top of the world

21 Nov 2015, 4:17 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Everyone has the right to defend themselves. It is a human right.

Tell that to George Zimmerman.


Don't need to; a court of law already told him.



LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Oct 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,195
Location: USA

21 Nov 2015, 4:25 pm

ZenDen wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Everyone has the right to defend themselves. It is a human right.

Tell that to George Zimmerman.


Don't need to; a court of law already told him.


The courts allowed his prosecution.

Lesson: people only have a "right to defend themselves" if some random group of people say so.



xile123
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 28 Oct 2015
Gender: Male
Posts: 495
Location: australia

21 Nov 2015, 5:20 pm

Raptor wrote:
f**k turning the other cheek. That's about the most irresponsible advice anyone can give.



ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Jul 2013
Age: 78
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,730
Location: On top of the world

23 Nov 2015, 1:01 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
ZenDen wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Everyone has the right to defend themselves. It is a human right.

Tell that to George Zimmerman.


Don't need to; a court of law already told him.


The courts allowed his prosecution.

Lesson: people only have a "right to defend themselves" if some random group of people say so.


It's only in clear cut cases of self defense that you won't see a trial. This was not such a case. But even if it were, because of racial tensions there had to be a trial to bring out all the evidence.

And people, in this country, have a right to defend themselves, backed by our Constitution...but as you say most other countries pay little attention to their citizens "rights" unless they coincide with the feelings of the ruler, or the ruling party, of the day.



lunarious87
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

Joined: 23 Nov 2015
Posts: 68

23 Nov 2015, 1:14 pm

I heard, turn the other cheek means an eye for an eye in a martial arts forum. This is because if i have the right cheek and leg toward my enemy, and he punches me, i take a step back and then have the left leg and cheeck toward him, and block. Self defence. It leaves two options from there, as the Quran says, revenge (follow with a punch and kick) or endure and seek only to neutralize attacks.